A Quiet Place

I took my daughter to see this yesterday at her request. Didn’t deliver on either suspense or frights for me, the family were a bit dim, and the gimmick or variations on it feels like it has been done before. My daughter enjoyed it though. I think her demographic, unsullied by the 1980s and 90s films and tv shows that used the same tricks, and that I watched to death in my teens and twenties, would feel a lot less jaded about the way this movie goes about its business.

Just back from seeing this with an impressively quiet cinema audience. Solid 7/10 for me. Thought it started out very well and lost its way a little bit towards the end. 

DON’T CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE FILM

Spoiler

Thought it was a bit of a cop-out that the monsters’ ultimate weak point turned out to be

Spoiler

shooting them in the face with the shotgun that you had owned the whole time.

I get that it was a bit more complicated than that, and it didn’t ruin the film for me or anything, but still.

Emily Blunt was very good. She can do a lot of acting without saying anything.

4 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Just back from seeing this with an impressively quiet cinema audience. Solid 7/10 for me. Thought it started out very well and lost its way a little bit towards the end. 

DON’T CLICK THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE FILM

Hide contents

Thought it was a bit of a cop-out that the monsters’ ultimate weak point turned out to be

Hide contents

shooting them in the face with the shotgun that you had owned the whole time.

I get that it was a bit more complicated than that, and it didn’t ruin the film for me or anything, but still.

Emily Blunt was very good. She can do a lot of acting without saying anything.

It wasn’t any more complicated than that. The movie just decided to dispense with the internal logic it had created, again, for an ending every bit as dumb as the rest of the movie.

This was decent.

Some egregious trope usage aside - tight scripting, great performances especially from my fave Blunty, great audio design and the right amount of tension in the right places.

Krasinski for Joel in The Last of Us movie?

Go see.

Enjoyed this. For a family who were so careful and considered, the pregnancy was a baffling decision, though. Babies are basically screaming machines. Would’ve been better to show the mother pregnant at the beginning, at least that would’ve made more sense. 

Some great acting, I thought. Especially considering there were so few spoken words or conversations. Created a unique atmosphere in the cinema, one that made you even more tense whenever a fellow audience member made a noise. 

As to the shotgun kill...

Yeah, you can kill the creatures when they’re startled/in pain or maybe when they’re exposing their ‘ear’ to actively search for you - but it’s not really the greatest plan, is it? Seeing as you need to actively lure them to your location, hope they don’t find you immediately, and stand a few feet away with shotgun raised until they open their carapace. You may get lucky once, but as the film showed the noise of the shotgun, or maybe it was the death throes of the creature, would bring all others in the area running. The plan certainly doesn’t work if there’s more than one in close proximity.

16 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Enjoyed this. For a family who were so careful and considered, the pregnancy was a baffling decision, though. Babies are basically screaming machines. Would’ve been better to show the mother pregnant at the beginning, at least that would’ve made more sense. 

I assumed that probably wasn't a decision as such. 

I really enjoyed this. Even the scene from the trailer got my heart racing, and found the whole thing incredibly tense. Every jump felt earned.

49 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I assumed that probably wasn't a decision as such. 

Even if it wasn’t, without getting too grim there are ways to abort a pregnancy long before it’s too late. Which is something you’d probably do if your entire family’s lives depended on it. The only justification I can see, but which was never actually stated, was...

Her losing one of her sons. She obviously still blames herself for his death, so I suspect she accidentally got pregnant shortly thereafter (or even engineered it as a way of coping) and her husband didnt raise the issue of aborting it for fear of her complete mental collapse.

You can find ways to explain the pregnancy, but it did make me lose some sympathy for the parents for allowing it to happen. 

Talking to a friend who works in the local Curzon and Ghost Stories is unlikely to be on round there once this starts on Friday. They don't have enough screens to have two horrors on at the same time. 

I wouldn't be able to see Ghost Stories til next week so there's that but it's probably more frustrating for Warp Films and all who sail in her. 

I thought this was decent fun, but @Jammynailed it. It reminds me of TV movies of the eighties where each one had a gimmick. They were delightfully fun and I really miss their ilk :(

I vaguely remember one where a woman as working late in a skyscraper and ended up being stalked by a killer. If memory serves, there were similar plot holes and contrivances so that the obvious 'out'  - call the rozzers - didn't work. 

But there's a lot of fun to be had with that kind of shit. I enjoyed Grizzly and The Swarm as much as Star Wars when I was eight :)

On 07/04/2018 at 20:54, linkster said:

It wasn’t any more complicated than that. The movie just decided to dispense with the internal logic it had created, again, for an ending every bit as dumb as the rest of the movie.

It was slightly more complicated than that.

Spoiler

They were only emboldened to use the shotgun having discovered that the interference from the hearing aid disabled the creatures. Without that effect, they would have been over-run had they used the shotgun...

8 hours ago, Mike S said:

It was slightly more complicated than that.

Hide contents

They were only emboldened to use the shotgun having discovered that the interference from the hearing aid disabled the creatures. Without that effect, they would have been over-run had they used the shotgun...

No, that really doesn’t explain all the ridiculous headlines in the basement I quoted earlier. You trying to say the entire army never thought of doing that?

30 minutes ago, Treble said:

Yep, and that it:

Hide contents

Retracted its armour when in pain. The armour is meant to be impenetrable. 

When she shoots it, it’s attacking, not flinching 

see, I do pay attention to this stuff ...

9 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

You honestly thought The Happening was worse than this? :blink:

Better, you mean. Yes, categorically, as it was a b movie by a gifted movie maker not one idea stretched past breaking by a well meaning novice

4 hours ago, linkster said:

No, that really doesn’t explain all the ridiculous headlines in the basement I quoted earlier. You trying to say the entire army never thought of doing that?

Well, aside from the fact that we were not discussing the headlines in the basement.

Spoiler

I was responding to the OP being surprised that shooting the creatures in the head was a seemingly simple solution and which you declared was the movie 'dispensing with it's own internal logic', a point that I disagree with seeing as you didn't account for the mechanism that allowed them to be able to shoot the creatures relatively safely.

As for the army not thinking of doing it? We don't know if they are, or not, as this is a small scale local drama set out in the sticks somewhere. What the army are doing is a whole other film that, really, we do not need to see. This family discovered a way of disabling the creatures through a side effect of trying to help their daughter with her deafness, maybe the army are not testing too many hearing aids on what I would assume to be a non-deaf fighting force? It is, of course, reasonable to expect them to be using sonic weapons as a defence though and maybe they are, somewhere remote from this family?. Or, maybe the army have been wiped out? Or are just resigned to living in bunkers? It is an external plot that has no real relevance to this particular story and does not affect how this particular drama resolved itself.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:26, linkster said:

Put this in the blog thread too, but be nice to try and use my Letterboxd account for once if folk want to agree : disagree with anything (my reviews have been quite lazy so far)

https://boxd.it/qJ6Dd

Ok so this movie is fine, nothing great and certainly nothing worthy of the praise its been getting. I think at the start its very brave and introduces us ti a film where all bets are off. However it soon finds itself back in trope central. Its FAR from the "worst film ever" though and linksters review is ramblings

Spoiler

Complaining that in a land ravished by bullet proof monsters people are eating home grown food. What else would they eat? Saying the father is a hipster for having a beard? Its not like he can jump in his car and go get fresh razors every few weeks is it. Candles round the bathtub? So what? Its its not uncommon, they could have been there for ages. We have candles at home weve never even lit. Infra red lights at night? Were you even paying attention? She changes them to red to warn the family that the monsters are there. They are set up as a warning measure.

These really are pointless things to moan about with this movie.

The worst thing about the story is the pregnancy which you didnt pick up on. I dont care how much you try soundproofing something, having a baby in this environment is extremely dangerous and you just wouldn't do it.

Oh and the Happening better? :blink:

Incidentally the thing @kerraig UK moaned about from the trailer actually plays out well in the film and the kid having a noisy toy is explained.

I still find the toy lazy. It's not pure stupidity like the trailer, but you still don't let the weakest of the pack out of your sight to walk around at the back.

I quite enjoyed the movie, and thought it did a good job with the premise. Nothing special though.

12 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I still find the toy lazy. It's not pure stupidity like the trailer, but you still don;t let the weakest of the pack out of your sight to walk around at the back.

I quite enjoyed the movie, and thought it did a good job with the premise. Nothing special though.

I cant get over the seam of stupidity and contrivance that runs through it tho, as well as the central characters being deeply annoying.

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

I still find the toy lazy. It's not pure stupidity like the trailer, but you still don't let the weakest of the pack out of your sight to walk around at the back.

Pretty much my thoughts

I haven't seen the film yet (though I did have it spoiled by me thanks to an innocuous looking article on Esquire - Cheers for that lads) but that article strikes me as pretty shit too.