rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Been working on my Ironclad game and not getting too far. Had one game where I found that Bites plus the knight/healer allows you to heal up to max, slowly; kill the knight, bite the healer  to gain HP, then let him heal back up. As long as you can guarantee 9 block when you need it...

I could swear I watched a full 3 hour "overexplained" Jorbs video with Ironclad on Ascension 20 that I thought was relatively new.. but now I go and look for it again and I can't find it. Did he take it down? Am I going mental? I've checked his overexplained playlist and it's not there :unsure:

Edit: I'm an idiot. It was the one with Silent from about nine months ago :)

Never beaten the Heart before (despite trying on Ascension 0 several times), but decided to go for it whilst the game is throwing this many relics at me.. they won't even fit on the screen! :D

IMG_20191017_191849.thumb.jpg.f0419fd86711f2a5f657dea1f220b019.jpg

Also got a Kunai off the Act 4 elites! Bit nervous now...

Edit

Spoiler

It actually wasn't really close. Shout out to Intangible Potions! :D whoop!

IMG_20191017_194146.thumb.jpg.b93a46f5bf2f523e0856cd4ea799af07.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yeah. I'm way off that - my current wall is that first heart kill; been there several times with Silent, but never had the defence scaling I needed. My decks tend to bloat and lose focus, still.

Mega poison was stupid though. I wiped through absolutely everything with a combination of burst, nightmare, poison and catalyst. Everything else was block and card draw. When I nightmared three +catalysts, and +burst them, 7 poison went up to over 500 poison.

I used to think this game was sometimes a bit unfair with the old RNG, but actually that often just means you didn't build the right deck.... And it's still crack anyway.

I've gone back to this and it is still as compelling as it has ever been. I'm a bit gutted that the xbox and game pass PC versions don't have the beta.

Having looked through what I've played released this year (which isn't a massive amount), this has to be my game of the year.

A19 down. Only took nine goes, which is less than half as many runs as it took me to get past 18.

Wasn't much of a deck really, limped through the first couple of acts with Red Skull procced pretty much constantly. Then had an amazing run of relics on act 3 that left me swimming with energy. Had 13 on the final turn. Armaments+ really came into its own given that I'd had to rest at just about every fire along the way. Onwards!

20191128132241_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, smac said:

Yeah. I'm way off that - my current wall is that first heart kill; been there several times with Silent, but never had the defence scaling I needed. My decks tend to bloat and lose focus, still.

Yeah I get that. I was watching a Jorbs video yesterday in which he was talking about how he’d learned to know what his deck needs now, and will need as the run progresses, and I’m a way off that. My problem at the moment is knowing how to handle a bad start; like you need to get yourself through act 1 first and foremost but I’ve lost a lot of runs in act 2 or 3 because my deck was cluttered with the Anger/Iron Wall/Fire Breathing/etc that I took out of necessity early on. Definitely the next step for me is learning how to work around an early game where the right cards just won’t show up. 

Word. I tend to muddle through because I have two or three independent little synergies going on, or I manage to build enough card draw into the deck to just bull through problems.

Had one recent Silent game against Clock Bastard where I was basically playing 12 cards per turn. Until one turn and I hit one card short and got punished the next turn... I think that one turn lost me the game.

Finally....after over 22 hours I've completed Act 3 with The Defect. I think I need to watch that YouTube channel for some tips...but wanted to "beat" it myself first. 

My wife was fairly disgusted with the celebratory dance I did during MasterChef when I knew my next end turn would defeat the boss. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, cassidy said:

I've gotten to the heart once. In about 120hrs.

I suck at the game but still love it. A2 Ironclad my best performance. 

By 'been there' I meant past the door. I've fought the damned thing maybe twice.

Only heart win I've managed was with the Defect and some crazy relic synergies. Been trying hard with the Ironclad but to no avail.

Got rather excited when this updated on Xbox but no new character yet. 

Just some cosmetic changes and extra button presses added when choosing cards and relics. 

Anyway other reason for post is fangamer.com has new stock in of the official Slay the Spire tshirts and a pin set that is rather lovely indeed. Sadly I've spent too much money this month already. Or I'd order both.

Seperately of course cos of the shitness that is import taxes. 

A20 really is a step up. I die on act one roughly every other run, everything hits just that little bit too hard, I go from doing fine to death’s door in the blink of an eye. And when I do get a run going the double boss thing in act three fucks me every time. I’ve got one clear so far, but that was using a seed for a dead branch run I died on and reloaded to go hunting (unsuccessfully) for corruption. 

I will persist because it’s the best game ever, obviously. 

8C8752D8-3480-48D7-AD2E-06FEF3801A93.jpeg

• Upvote 5

Delicious run. I tend to wrinkle my nose a bit at Whirlwind most of the time, but with snecko in play it’s basically a safety net for Necronomicon that does like 100 damage a turn, and that is my kind of safety net. Had exhume+ to do fun things with Reaper, and I remain convinced that Apotheosis+ is the best card in the game for all but the very best players. Few more runs like this and I’ll have to start thinking about the Heart. This deck might have had a chance. 

A13F53D0-7118-4A81-AB10-F96DD925BDC4.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Nice! I'd say just go for the heart - best way to learn how to beat the heart is to fight the heart! (And learn good practice re: the three keys, etc.)

Yeah my current thinking is that if I’ve got a deck that can get through A20 and two bosses, given my relative skill level, then it’s probably worth a pop at the heart. I’ve beaten it a couple of times on A1 just to learn the moveset; there’s no point trying to beat it on anything but a20 now though really, is there. 

Is snecko ever a bad pick for ironclad? Can’t picture it. 

I enjoyed this, but I’m surprised by the legs it has for other players. I felt it became a skinner-box esque gambling game without deck building, but when playing with deck building you see all it’s got quite quickly (and the limited number of winning decks). Still fun during that time though.

I've played for hundreds and hundreds of hours and still come across combinations of cards/relics/events/potions that surprise me or see a Jorbs run that does something I've never seen before. Seeing all it's got pretty quickly has not been my experience of the game at all.

1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Winning decks? Is this in the right topic?

Yeah. Some card synergies are top tier. Others less so. Decks tend to be built around a few cards, which is perfectly understandable given the randomness they are given out. And they all need damage mitigation.