Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Nespresso

I was playing the daily today, and there are some crazy combos you can pull off. The starting deck is all the rare cards, so the fun stuff is already in the deck. I ended up using bullet time to use burst on nightmare three times, so I ended up with a hand full of glass knives. Believe it or not, the enemy died this turn

36780C5F7B473143F35D9916E002990CD4640B03

• 2 weeks later...

Jebus, this game :omg:

Just cleared an Ascension Level 5 run with The Ironclad using a smallish deck based around using Offering to pull Flex (boost strength), Thunderclap (make enemies take 50% extra damage) and Whirlwind (hit all enemies multiple times using the energy boost from Offering) into the same hand, with Exhume to pull the Offering back out and do it all over again. I also had a side-order of Reaper to leech health and Feed to increase my max HP on the way up the spire...

...except I completely fucked it in the 3rd act by forgetting I had the Cursed Key and picking up a Pain curse (lose 1HP for every card you play) alongside a Dead Branch (add a random card when you exhaust one) and I wasn't able to pick up a Whirlwind the whole time.

3 steps away from The Awakened One, I got the event which removes all curses. Then the last normal fight gave me a Whirlwind, which I was able to upgrade at the last campfire. During the final battle, Dead Branch gave me another Whirlwind which I was able to upgrade during the fight, so I ended up taking The Awakened One's final form down in 2 turns. All to the tune of Aeris' Theme, which kicked in during the last normal enemy fight :wub:

646570_20180524133815_1.thumb.png.b7b25cb63ecc9dda72452ef18da0fcdf.png

• 3 months later...

aMkdLOL.png

Yeah... :lol:

I desperately want to beat this game, even if it's just once! So instead of going at it for another 20+ hours, without a single victory, I've decided I'll be streaming my next few runs in hopes of getting some advice and help. Even if only one or two people tune in that'd be great as I'm just at a loss as to what I'm, apparently, doing wrong here. I've never been big on card games mind you but I was somewhat decent at Duelyst; achieving numerous wins against the AI and human opponents so there must be something fundamental I'm not grasping here. 

Stream will be live at around 20:00 CEST (that's 21:00 in the UK universe) at https://www.twitch.tv/vn1x so if anyone wants to help me fumble my way to a victory that'd be much appreciated!

Love it. I’ll be there. Will try and enlist a couple of my pals who have gone in deep with the game and are light years ahead of me. 

I’ve got pretty good at the game now (after 300 hours!!) and I’ve done Ascension 1-15 with The Silent. I still play her almost exclusively and will be attempting the recently added and  truly insane looking Ascension 16-20 with her soon. That said, I can win reasonably consistently with The Ironclad too so can offer some tips there. I am useless with The Defect though as I’ve still barely used him. 

My two friends who play have done Ascension 15 with all three and now speak about the game in terms that go over my head despite the hours of graft I’ve put in. If I can get them in the Twitch chat they’ll be great for tips and advice. I’ve already given them the brief that you’re after that elusive first win and not trying to set a speed run world record etc. 

Getting your first win makes such a massive difference, and if you can get a couple in a row it changes everything. The first time I got three wins in a row with The Silent was when I realised I do actually know what I’m doing and should maybe have a go at Ascension. Before that it was getting wrecked repeatedly and then having that one run in fifty that seemed to have the gods’ blessings before going back to getting slapped. After that I managed to clear each level of Ascension in fewer than 10 attempts as I actually had a plan. Sometimes it still didn’t pan out but at least I understood why and what had gone differently this time. Before you get some wins it feels like you’re flailing in the dark each time. 

What a superb game though. Since I started playing fighting games competitively there have been very few games that have managed to steer me away from fighters for any length of time. This one is he first in years that has managed to completely consume all of my gaming time at the expense of everything else. I cannot sing its praises enough, and with early access and the developers dropping a substantial patch every Friday with comprehensive patch notes it’s the gift that keeps on giving. :wub:

I can pretty much win consistently with the Silent who is by far my favourite. I also managed a win with The Defect by basically spamming orbs although I reckon there was probably quite a bit of luck involved with that one too! I always seem to struggle with Ironclad to the point that I pretty much never use him. 

The Silent :wub:

If you can win consistently I'd recommend Ascension if you haven't already. The ones they've added for levels 16-20 look nuts. Going to have a go at 16 tonight but I think finishing the rest is going to take ages. The one that changes the enemies' attack patterns/requirements etc. looks especially nasty (byrds take 4 hits to knock down, the bronze automaton doesn't take a turn off to recover after hyper beam etc).

And yes, The Silent is the greatest :wub:. She's exactly who I'd pick if this were a fighting game and has everything I want to do. Defensive builds/poison builds/card draw/options/I will play 30 cards before you get another turn etc. There's so much you can do. The only thing that makes me sad is that Shiv/Storm of Steel builds can still come completely unstuck if you get the Time Eater as your floor 3 boss. You can have a deck that would totally maul everything else in the game with no issues at all, then suddenly it's all for naught. They've buffed shivs in recent patches too but I still don't think it's enough. I also think The Silent will be the hardest of the three to finish Ascension 20 with and I know that a number of the top players on Twitch are coming to that conclusion as well, but that's part of what I like about her too.

Ironclad I find I have to switch up my playstyle entirely and tend to fare best if I do builds based around stacking obscene amounts of strength and dealing enormous damage. Thanks to his healing and damage he can often annihilate the first floor with little resistance too, so you can be pretty reckless and also quite ruthless about trimming the deck/trying out whacky cards. He also avoids the problem I sometimes have with The Silent where I have done too much trimming and building in preparation for my master plan and then die when I get speed checked by those "kill us in five turns or you are DEAD" type fights.

Looking forward to the stream tonight. Would be amazing to see someone get their first win. :D 

6 minutes ago, JLM said:

If you can win consistently I'd recommend Ascension if you haven't already. The ones they've added for levels 16-20 look nuts. Going to have a go at 16 tonight but I think finishing the rest is going to take ages. The one that changes the enemies' attack patterns/requirements etc. looks especially nasty (byrds take 4 hits to knock down, the bronze automaton doesn't take a turn off to recover after hyper beam etc).

And yes, The Silent is the greatest :wub:. She's exactly who I'd pick if this were a fighting game and has everything I want to do. Defensive builds/poison builds/card draw/options/I will play 30 cards before you get another turn etc. There's so much you can do. The only thing that makes me sad is that Shiv/Storm of Steel builds can still come completely unstuck if you get the Time Eater as your floor 3 boss. You can have a deck that would totally maul everything else in the game with no issues at all, then suddenly it's all for naught. They've buffed shivs in recent patches too but I still don't think it's enough. I also think The Silent will be the hardest of the three to finish Ascension 20 with and I know that a number of the top players on Twitch are coming to that conclusion as well, but that's part of what I like about her too.

Ironclad I find I have to switch up my playstyle entirely and tend to fare best if I do builds based around stacking obscene amounts of strength and dealing enormous damage. Thanks to his healing and damage he can often annihilate the first floor with little resistance too, so you can be pretty reckless and also quite ruthless about trimming the deck/trying out whacky cards. He also avoids the problem I sometimes have with The Silent where I have done too much trimming and building in preparation for my master plan and then die when I get speed checked by those "kill us in five turns or you are DEAD" type fights.

Looking forward to the stream tonight. Would be amazing to see someone get their first win. :D 

I finished Ascension 3 last night. Think I only took about 4 damage on the whole of the third floor. When everything clicks and you get the right cards and idols it's just lovely :wub:

Thanks for tuning in all. I can't believe we made it that far and actually managed to end the boss of act 2 on 300+ poison damage (nightmare + catalyst combo), netting me an achievement in the process! :D

I've probably already learned more from those two hours alone than I did in all my 20 hours combined lol. I'll be continuing the run tomorrow at the same time so hopefully we'll we can make it to the final boss! :omg:

Well we done did it! Thanks to everyone who helped me reach my first win, it's very much appreciated and I honestly couldn't have done it without ya. :D

DTOB6wi.jpg

I've learned so much through this three hour and thirty six minute run (:lol:) so I hope it won't take me another 20 more hours to find my second victory. In any case having people give advice while playing was incredibly helpful and made me much more aware of some of the game's mechanics and its intricacies. Can't wait to go back in and reach the end on my own! 

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

Well we done did it! Thanks to everyone who helped me reach my first win, it's very much appreciated and I honestly couldn't have done it without ya. :D

DTOB6wi.jpg

I've learned so much through this three hour and thirty six minute run (:lol:) so I hope it won't take me another 20 more hours to find my second victory. In any case having people give advice while playing was incredibly helpful and made me much more aware of some of the game's mechanics and its intricacies. Can't wait to go back in and reach the end on my own! 

Congrats dude :D

Shame I’m away (sort of), as I’d have been really interested to participate in that stream, as much to pick up tips as offer them, as I’m in a similar boat to the one you were; despite all my play time, my only win so far was on (my first attempt at) a Daily, so I’m not really counting it. I’ve got to the final boss a few times, and nearly taken it down, but never quite managed it. I’m hoping I get there soon, as I’ve had a bunch of successful runs on similar games (Meteorfall on iOS, Monster Slayer on PS4/Steam, etc), using similar character archetypes to my preferred StS character (the Silent*, though I do try and play the others too), but it bothers me that I haven’t finished a run on perhaps my favourite game in the genre. I just need to spend more time on it, I think; I do most of my gaming on other platforms, so I sometimes go weeks without playing, despite thinking it’s an all-timer.

Incidentally, @JLM, not to sound like a fanboy or anything dude, but as a lapsed SF player (I’ve never really gotten into V) who used to frequent the Street Fighter IV thread, I’m really pleased to see you in here/playing this - your posts are always really insightful, detailed and interesting, and you’re generally always really helpful to boot (as we’ve just seen again with you tuning in with your friends to help VN1X). So, yeah, just wanted to give credit where it’s due. :hat:

* at some point a few years ago it became apparent that, no matter the game/genre, my favourite character pretty much always ended up being the ‘Rogue’, and this is definitely no exception.

Thank you for the kind words @JDubYes. If I get into a game I tend to get reeeeaally into it and enjoy backseat playing/theorising about it as much as I do playing it. I think if you are passionate about a game it's almost your duty to help newer struggling players, especially if they're genuinely asking for help rather than going down the "this game sucks because I can't win at it" route. It applies to fighting games especially as there are so many niche titles that live or die by their (usually tiny) player base. If I can encourage more people to play my favourite game then that's better for the game and ultimately better for me as well. Everybody wins!

Speaking of winning, VN1X and the council of elders play STS has been excellent. Broodoo and Savant were very sad that they couldn't make it last night but I kept them updated. Last night Griffmaster had everything covered. I found that I was just agreeing with everything he suggested and sometimes the plays he came up with were better than mine, so I could see you were in very safe hands. Night 1 we all conspired to construct a pretty cheap deck. Night 2 you had top class coaching to help you the rest of the way with the important plays. STS by community vote is a super fun way to play. Might try it myself when I try to take on the later Ascension levels. And fail. Repeatedly.

I hope some more Rllmuk folks get into this game. It's so much fun and Mega Crit are doing early access so right.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, steadily getting more wins with the Silent and just now did a run from start to finish without any help whatsoever. :omg:

This run was a blast and manged to rack up my highest score yet! I just went for a full on poison-and-defend build and as such opted for those types of cards whenever possible.

jw1rUBc.jpg

70cQAqY.jpg

iCmTM8J.jpg

And the VOD of the last boss for good measure. Funniest bit was me saying "that sucks" when Madness made Catalyst+ a zero cost card. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I'm now consistently getting wins as The Silent so I've switched over to The Iroconclad

How in god's name do you play that character? :lol:

I got my first win with him recently after who knows how many tries and 92 hours played. 

I ended up with a block heavy deck and that power which does 5/7 damage to a random enemy every time you block. That along with the power that means you don't lose block each turn set me up very nicely. Attack wise I went with the one that does +3 damage for each strike you have in your deck as well as Heavy Blow (I think that's what it is called) and the Devil Form card which gives you 2/3 extra strength each turn. The damage you deal quickly ramps up while you should be good for blocks after a couple of turns.

I've been too scared to try again since then in case it was a fluke. 

• 2 weeks later...