Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Nespresso

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

Such a good feeling to finally do it isn't it. 

Yes, yes it is. I'm surprised it's Ironclad I managed it with first - I've generally been much more successful with Silent and The Defect.

But like @Benny, I never used to take Snecko Eye - this last week I've had it every few runs, and those runs were the most successful as long as I hadn't been concentrating on low-cost cards. But I had started taking a Bludgeon as a finisher for corridor combats, and that does well, and as for Demon Form and Barricade...

Also with Snecko, a Blood for Blood in your hand still drops a point to play if you take an action that damages yourself, such as using an offering, when Snecko has made it a couple of points to play. And in that final battle

Spoiler

the heartbeat effect does that anyway as you play a card.

I might switch to Silent and go for a full run victory. I've done a couple of Ascension levels with each one.

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

I'll aim to get Ironclad to A20 then focus on silent. I find I suck even more if I swap character classes.

Yeah I'm the same. I have one A20 heart kill with Ironclad and that feels enough like finishing the game for me not to need to do it ever again, haha. I'm on A17 with Silent at the moment, I basically alternate runs at that with A1 Ironclad stomps to cleanse the palate. Had a lovely thing going last night with self-forming clay, barricade, corruption, snecko and every two-cost card I could lay hands on. 

Really struggling with Silent though. Ironclad suits my playstyle very well, and because it's by far my most used class I'm so used to the autoheal that I struggle terribly without it. I've barely touched Defect or Watcher, but will pick one of them up once I ding A20 with Silent.

Things I think are great about the Watcher:

• Rewards thinking about card order - relics like Duality, mechanics like stance changes and scrying all add little elements of in-turn planning that distinguish her from the other characters.
  • Deck manipulation feels great - scrying is incredibly cool, whether blowing past all your strikes and defends to get your powers out earlier or laughing as you say NOPE to all the burns or dazes the game is trying to throw at you. Omniscience is also great fun.
  • More randomness-proofing - retain those cards until you need them! Also has a nice secondary effect of thinning your deck so you can cycle round to your big attacks more often.
  • Huge damage turns - like an Ironclad, but with better block cards! Not to mention those divinity runs!
  • Beats the heck out of act 1 with very little trouble - never get stuck in a rut losing to gremlin nob and lagavulin over and over ever again!

Things that have grown to really annoy me about the Watcher over time:

• Alpha/Beta/Omega is just too slow at A20. For the heart, at least.
  • It's too easy to get out of act 1 (and through the rest of the standard game) that going beyond the door can be an incredible slap back to reality. (Though perhaps this will become less the case as I get better at the game.)
  • The starting relic is naff. Why not just exchange it for a boss relic. With an energy relic you'll get that extra energy every turn of every fight!
  • All her methods of dealing weak status are conditional (and can be hard to come by!)

All in all, I give her an A-.

Speaking of cathartic A1 Ironclad runs:

20200116155319_1.jpg

So much to note here. I had exactly 100 strength on the killshot, which I don't think has ever happened before. I finished on 169 health (nice). Didn't have a Reaper (I passed over one for Ice Cream) but still ended with an unused Lizard Tail and two blood potions that I picked up somewhere in act 2. 

Early Feed is the best.

I just started this yesterday and it's a bit good innit?

In other news, water is wet. 

I was feeling so smug when I first got to the third floor and just scraped through beating that 300 point wolf thing. Then he regenerated and effed me in the a.

2 minutes ago, smac said:

So 100 strength mainly from Spot Weakness and Limit Break?

No, there's also Rupture, which adds 1 strength when you lose HP from a card. The two Brutality and Combust proc it, likewise unblocked Burn etc. Weirdly you can have as many Brutality as you want but it only procs Rupture once.

Spot Weakness was just a nice bonus, really. With the Shrugs and Battle Trances, and the two Brutality drawing two extra cards every turn, I was seeing that Limit Break every three turns max, so things quickly got silly.

Ah, I missed that mini-combo. I've never managed to get it in the same deck as a Limit Break (although I currently have a Limit Break stashed behind a brick in the dungeon, waiting for the right random encounter to come up again...)

Limit Break is kinda essential for it because it's not the fastest engine in the world, particularly if you only have one proc per turn (Combust is the standard - I got both Brutality from the Pandora's Box). I don't normally bother upgrading Limit Break but it felt sort of essential here with only Spot Weakness to rely on otherwise.

Wahey! A victoly!

No idea what the business with the heart really is but I did 745 damage to it and my final blow with me on 3 health (but with a fairy potion still, so not quite as nail biting as it could have been) was a 103 damage hit.  

I took a pic of my stats but I can only upload 2mb and for some reason I can't seem to create lower quality/ smaller file sized pics on my phones' gallery thing :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, smac said:

Still, pretty good for a couple of days play. Took me a lot longer to beat my first Act 3 boss.

(You only chased the heart off, @b00dles - it headed off upward, right? More work to do...)

Cheers. I didn't think that was the proper end or anything obviously but yeah, I can now pick the level with the ironclad but I'm going to try to finish silent's unlocks.

Did bloody terrible with my first effort with the watcher though!

It's a very well balanced game considering all the characters and so on, quite the feat. 

The Ascension level? No, that's the first in a series of 20 challenges, changing the conditions each time you ascend the spire, making it tougher each time (or tougher against specific deck-building strategies).

You can now try Ascension 1 with Ironclad and only once you beat that can you try Ascension 2. I would personally recommend getting the other characters through to the Act 3 victory if I were you; get a feel for the whole game...

14 minutes ago, smac said:

The Ascension level? No, that's the first in a series of 20 challenges, changing the conditions each time you ascend the spire, making it tougher each time (or tougher against specific deck-building strategies).

You can now try Ascension 1 with Ironclad and only once you beat that can you try Ascension 2. I would personally recommend getting the other characters through to the Act 3 victory if I were you; get a feel for the whole game...

Oh right. Cool, lots of content is always welcome!

I'll leave you further progress players to it until I'm there :)

9 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Yeah I'm the same. I have one A20 heart kill with Ironclad and that feels enough like finishing the game for me not to need to do it ever again, haha. I'm on A17 with Silent at the moment, I basically alternate runs at that with A1 Ironclad stomps to cleanse the palate. Had a lovely thing going last night with self-forming clay, barricade, corruption, snecko and every two-cost card I could lay hands on. 

Really struggling with Silent though. Ironclad suits my playstyle very well, and because it's by far my most used class I'm so used to the autoheal that I struggle terribly without it. I've barely touched Defect or Watcher, but will pick one of them up once I ding A20 with Silent.

I'm trying to complete the Ascension levels with all 3 characters before allowing myself to move up any further. I'm up to A17 or so across the three older characters. For the Silent, I'm finding that Poison stacking is really the only way to go at the higher tiers. 

The Watcher seems really neat, and definitely the character with the most burst damage potential so far. She has two pretty reliable ways to activate a double/triple damage multiplier through Divinity and Wrath, and the A1 run with her I completed last night posed little challenge at all. Very much looking forward to the higher difficulty levels. She almost feels like the most 'tuned' character for what the game is, especially against single enemies - if you can line up the rhythm of her turns, to get her Calm and defending when needed and then bursting as much damage as possible when the enemy isn't going to be hitting you, it's powerful stuff to say the least. 

I've only done A1 or A2 with each character - I dropped back to normal (Ascension 0) level to try to complete a full run at the heart first. Which I did today.

The ultimate challenge is to get all the way at A20. That's what Nate meant by 'feeling he had actually beaten the game'. It's pretty badass.

24 minutes ago, lewismistreated said:

I'm trying to complete the Ascension levels with all 3 characters before allowing myself to move up any further. I'm up to A17 or so across the three older characters. For the Silent, I'm finding that Poison stacking is really the only way to go at the higher tiers. 

The Watcher seems really neat, and definitely the character with the most burst damage potential so far. She has two pretty reliable ways to activate a double/triple damage multiplier through Divinity and Wrath, and the A1 run with her I completed last night posed little challenge at all. Very much looking forward to the higher difficulty levels. She almost feels like the most 'tuned' character for what the game is, especially against single enemies - if you can line up the rhythm of her turns, to get her Calm and defending when needed and then bursting as much damage as possible when the enemy isn't going to be hitting you, it's powerful stuff to say the least. 

Poison is definitely the silliest thing she can do, yeah, but Nightmare/Intangible+ is one of the strongest combos in the game and brings a lot of other strategies into play. Providing you can last long enough to get the parts you need, anyway. I die an awful lot on act one with Silent. 

Doing all three chars at once is a really nice idea though. My brain couldn’t deal with that, I don’t think. Hats off. 

Not even got close to beating Act 3 yet. I’m just hoping repeatedly smashing my head against it will force some understanding in eventually. 

It’s so much fun to lose though that the anticipation of an eventual actual successful run is just a bonus hook to keep me playing. 

At lunchtime I had a delightfully bonkers A3 Ironclad run. I got Snecko Eye as the random starting relic so all bets were off right from the start. I somehow managed to get all the way to the end of Act 3, even (unusually for me) picking up the three keys on the way and starting to think I might even have a chance of going all the way, before Clock Sucker laughed at my presumptuousness.

1 year later, pretty much, platform three (PC, Xbox, Switch), many ascensions in all three characters up to about ascension ten...

and @smac inspires me to do an ascension zero heart run with ironclad.

two days later

i have finally slayed the spire in easy mode!

(37! cards; thirteen relics; convenient fairy to resurrect me on the heart and two upgraded limit breaks and a upgraded spot weakness for the strength. First time I’ve ever dared take coffee dripper too)