rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Ooooh, just had another first - the first time I killed a boss in a single round.

OK, it was the special room encounter where you fight an Act 1 boss for a relic, so my deck was higher-powered, but it still wiped out the big, green blob in one go. Niiiiiiice.

Oh nice. I still need that achievement. I finally got the 999 block one the other day, nabbed an early Barricade and the game just threw Entrench at me after that, think I had four or five of them by the end. Fun times. 

still struggling to get a win with one relic. Can get to the final boss easily enough with ironclad but it all falls apart. Thought I had enough scaling earlier (two ruptures with combust, a bloodletting, the mutagenic card I can’t remember the name of; also a demon form) but didn’t get the draw RNG I needed on the boss and that was that. I think I need the boss relic that heals better if it’s ever going to happen. 

2 hours ago, smac said:

Ooooh, just had another first - the first time I killed a boss in a single round.

OK, it was the special room encounter where you fight an Act 1 boss for a relic, so my deck was higher-powered, but it still wiped out the big, green blob in one go. Niiiiiiice.

Heart still got me. Boo. Donu and Deca went daaaaaahn.

Just had the pleasure of Nightmare + Catalyst + Well-Laid Plans. Deck was a bit ropey against things that weren't bosses, but bosses or things with large health pools suddenly became trivial - I'd got Well-Laid Plans Innate through a Bottled Tornado, so it was simply a case of stacking a little bit of poison, holding on to the combo pieces as they came out of the deck, and then - oops, 1,000 poison.

4 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Oh nice. I still need that achievement.

Because it wasn't an actual end-of-level boss, just a recycled Act 1 boss, I didn't get the achievement. Was still good to take him down. Had 12 energy, +5 strength, and Whirlwind+...

Yay, unplanned heart win (defect, a1, but on Xbox this time without everything unlocked). A bit of an apparition lightning echo form cheese fest, but only realised the heart was on at the start of act three.

still haven’t unlocked everything on the Xbox version.

myDW6Fy.png

And boom! Two more runs, which both beat clock wanker

My ironclad deck was very average, and I didn't get any mana expansions, only 3 was super limiting, but I just had so many relics from an early shovel popping off effects, they scrolled off the top of the screen and kept me alive.

vusVyA6.png

I also figured out Defect a bit better, you kind of have a storm strategy that focuses on just firing off as many lightning orbs as quick as possible, to which orb slot expansions are detrimental, or a more passive one that wants the orb slot expansions and just uses them to build up block, extra energy or floating dark damage.

Yeah, the lightning strategy is pretty easy to get running; there seem to be more lightning-based cards (channel lightning when hit, lightning hits all targets, etc.) available.

I still haven't managed to complete a first run with The Silent yet!! Got to the end loads of times and getting battered by bad luck.  SOON. 

..or I might just hold out for the android version tbh. 

I had a wonderful Silent setup yesterday - snecko skull, loads of poison cards like noxious fumes and poison strikes. Then just died to the slime boss. Wtf.

• Empathy 1

I was on 50% health when I started the fight to be fair, thinking ah I'll be fine when I went for an upgrade instead. Derp.

10 minutes ago, Benny said:

I was on 50% health when I started the fight to be fair, thinking ah I'll be fine when I went for an upgrade instead. Derp.

I think it was worth the gamble. Possibly the hardest act 1 boss to do with low health, but 50% is a fair chunk. I'd guess the problem is getting a good split with a poison deck - sometimes you can't stop him from splitting because of the automatic poison tick and then all your hard work is down the drain as your poison is wiped away and the fight gets even harder!

I just can not get a win with Ironclad. Got to the end a few times with no success, but that always seems to be predicated on picking up the lizard tail to give me a second chance. The only times I have got that far have been with a Strength heavy deck. Any tips?

Offering is your friend. I got my win with liberal use of it combined with Exhume.

• Upvote 1

Offering pulls in a lot of cards and gives you the energy to get your big guns out.

Alternatively, Snecko Eye and some expensive cards like Bludgeon. And Dual Wield for when Snecko makes Bludgeon cost 0.

Or Fiend Fire, especially with Exhume to get it back, and cards to give you defence or draw when you exhaust cards.

I could never get on with Ironclad, but he became the first one I completed the full run, including Act 4, with.

Also - pay to remove Strikes to keep your deck lean. Unless you want to fuel Fiend Fire.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. I do jump on bludgeon whenever it’s offered, but that’s some fuel for tomorrow’s run. 

1 hour ago, BabelRich said:

Thanks guys. I do jump on bludgeon whenever it’s offered, but that’s some fuel for tomorrow’s run. 

also, counterintuitively if you think you keep dying: coffee dripper.

the additional energy is essential, and you’ve already got a pretty good heal at 6 points per round. Worst case that additional energy lets you put another block card in play for five points of damage mitigation on each turn, so you’ve made back thirty points of heal within six turns...

• Upvote 1

Finally defeated the Corrupt Heart for the first time with an Ironclad Barricade deck after 195+ hours.

I have to say going for the Heart sort of spoils the game a bit - it feels like there really is only a subset of decks that can do the job and if the card RNG is against you you might as well start over. The Silent for example it feels like you really need to go with a poison deck but if you don't see a couple of Catalysts you're fucked.

Back to grinding ascension levels now and it is much more enjoyable.

@ChewMagma

So I'm still struggling to get a Silent heart win  after over 150hrs. 

And that's after hitting A6 with Ironclad. 

So that tip above to focus on a poison dec may prove helpful cos last weekend saw me get there 3 times without a win. 

I rarely play any other games though this game consumes me like no other has in decades. 

I finally beat the heart with Silent last night (and got The End? achievement) and it was indeed with poison/nightmare/catalyst....

• Upvote 2

Ironclad is on A5, The silent A4 and defect is still a bit of a mystery. Just A1 done. 60hrs in. 

Can’t wait for the switch update.

keep trying to get into other games but come crawling back. 

2 hours ago, MotiVater said:

I finally beat the heart with Silent last night (and got The End? achievement) and it was indeed with poison/nightmare/catalyst....

Nightmare on catalyst is it? 

A preferred winning strategy of mine with ironclad is turtling with a single demon's form and heavy blade. Turtle with barricade and just wait for the damage to build up with demon form and heavy blade. The good thing about this strategy is that you need very few key cards to make it work. The downside is that you are very vulnerable to a single attack killing you if the early cards don't fall your way.

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

A preferred winning strategy of mine with ironclad is turtling with a single demon's form and heavy blade. Turtle with barricade and just wait for the damage to build up with demon form and heavy blade. The good thing about this strategy is that you need very few key cards to make it work. The downside is that you are very vulnerable to a single attack killing you if the early cards don't fall your way.

If I get Barricade, I forgo the demon form+heavy blade myself and get the damage using Body Slam+ only (you really need an Entrench as well though so you can rapidly scale up your block). You are still vulnerable if you have no way to fetch Barricade or it fails to come out earlier.

Just to be awkward, I only take Barricade if a run meets a few very specific conditions, or at least most of them. 

-Passive block-generating things like Feel No Pain, Self-Forming Clay, Thread The Needle etc; or

-Corruption, since it allows you to merrily exhaust away half your deck and cycle your attack cards

Entrench and Body Slam complement Barricade nicely but I'd never take them in the hope of getting Barricade later. Body Slam in particular is only worth picking up very late on providing you have all the pieces to make it worthwhile.

Obviously all bets are off if you have Snecko, because it's so much easier to get high-cost cards in play, or Mummified Hand, which means there's no such thing as a bad power pick-up.

--

The general rule with Ironclad is to not be afraid to overcommit from time to time because you have big attack and an autoheal to make up for the little dings you take. One of the hardest things I found going from playing almost exclusively Ironclad to the other characters was learning to fully block things. With Ironclad, if the enemy's about to hit you for nine, you play two strikes and a defend, knowing you'll heal the lost four back at the end of the fight. Stuff like Demon Form aside it's in your interest to cycle cards as fast as possible and kill stuff as quickly as you can. Respect will only get you killed (found the Ken player, etc).

• Upvote 3

Battered that bird-wolf prick senseless with just my second run with the Defect. Got loaded up with extra orbs filled them with ice and dark and went to town. Absolute awesome fun. 

On the other hand (pun intended) I just can’t seem to catch a break with Ironclad. 

On 18/02/2020 at 17:47, cassidy said:

Nightmare on catalyst is it? 

Indeed, I got lucky and got to play them both fairly early on, which was good as my defence was appaling!

Still stuck on A19 with Silent, A17 with Ironclad and 16 iirc with Defect.  Need an A20 win one day.....