rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Finally beat

Spoiler

the heart

with the Silent!

The key was a stupidly lucky draw of Nightmare and After image, which meant every turn after I was stacking block impenetrably.

I had a great Silent run with Nightmare and Blur - Blur stacks such that if you play three Blurs in a turn, you keep all unused defence over the next three turns.

I had Silent on over 100 defence for the first time ever.

I finally won with Ironclad last night. Got home and decided to have a quick go before bed. Turns out it was the best decision I ever made (no hype). 

Managed to pick up the pyramid which lets you keep unused cards in you hand, offering, demon form and fiend fire. Got Donu and Deca and it came down to exhausting a full hand then hoping heavy blade came out next turn. Booooooooom. See you in the acension levels jerk-ass! (The game; not you dear reader)

• Upvote 2

Beaten

Spoiler

the heart

with all 3 original characters now. Only The Watcher to go.

• Upvote 2

I've reached it a few times with Silent and Defect, but not quite managed it, yet.

I had a brilliant defect run right before it, only to realise

Spoiler

That I couldn't get the final key from the last bonfire right at the end and screwed myself out of being able to take my amazing deck to the heart.

So naturally I immediately started another run and that deck was actually even better and went on to win me the full run.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Act 2 is where I pick up the key pieces, as you usually need to upgrade or take relics on Act 1. Act 3 seems cutting it a little fine.

I tend to go for the elite key though on act 1. 

Still not beaten the heart as silent many attempts this weekend and failed on the heart twice in a row. 

So close yet...

The best time to go for the keys is when you think you're ready for them.

In act 1 you are unlikely to be strong enough to take the super elite (especially at A20, which is generally the perspective from which I write). However, if you do happen to have gotten really good cards, it can be great to have done early, and is a much more reasonable proposition on lower difficulty.

As for the blue key - even a common relic you take in the chest in act 1 will see usage through to the end of the game. This is often more valuable than a rare relic in act 3, which will last you all of half an act plus change. Same goes for upgraded cards - the red key does nothing until you beat act 3. An upgraded card or rest raises your chances of making to the end of act 3. The only caveat being sometimes you'll want to be able to rest just before the act 3 boss, so it might be better to grab the key early, but at A20, if you're having difficulty making it through act 3 without taking a lot of damage, it doesn't really bode well for you beyond that anyway.

• Upvote 2

Super-elite on Act 1, I might look for one that's sandwiched between 2 rests. This is not on a high Ascension level.

Slightly late in the day (there's only an hour or so left) but today's daily climb is wonderfully daft. Ironclad, starting deck is one copy of each Rare, hallway fights drop relics and both you and the enemy start with +3 strength. It's an absolute stomp and I enjoyed it tremendously (just remember to get a few block cards along the way). 

It is done!

Finally beat

Spoiler

The heart

With all 4 characters with a Watcher win. Now for Ascension levelling.

• Upvote 5

Had a great Ascension level 2 run earlier with The Silent, built entirely around 3, 2 and 1 card draw cards and Grand Finale x2, and any other relevant cards that allowed deck manipulation. Picking up Runic Pyramid was what clinched it in the end.

Just beat 

Spoiler

The Heart

with The Defect. It was the relics wot dun it. Had Consume+ with the Inserter relic, to ramp up focus, Data Disk for a head-start, but best of all got Nilry's Codex - basically, choose 1 out of 3 cards offered to you each turn. Made picking the Busted Crown from the Act 2 boss a no-brainer.

Basically getting offered Defragments every few turns, or being able to ramp up defence picks if needed was a huge help. Was still close - just checked, and I was on 2 health when my lightning orbs took him down after my turn ended! :o

So, just have to take it down with The Silent, now, so I can return to Ascensions.

I quit playing this about three weeks ago, as I thought 900+ hours on one game was enough of my life to have thrown away. I had managed A20 with Ironclad, Silent and Defect, and also an A1 Heart kill with Ironclad, just because i wanted to see it. Seemed like a good place to stop.

Since giving up, I have found a second wind for the game, and am just going for Heart kills. I have probably put another 100 hours in since then, and I just did an A10 Heart kill with Ironclad. I love the way that you get so much better at this game. I am not particularly good at card games, but when I first started this, I used to think - this is hard enough as it is, how is it even possible to beat A5 let alone A20, let alone beat the Heart. But now, I am so much better at the game, and the way I play and the cards I pick are completely different from when I start playing.

I have barely scratched the surface of the game in a way, I have barely touched Defect and Watcher. 

It really is one of the greatest games of all time. Isnt it? Or am I a bit lovestruck? I cant remember a game that didnt have "Souls" in the title consuming so much of my time and my mind in a long, long time.

• Upvote 5

I think it’s one of the finest games ever made too. I don’t think early access has ever been done better or used more effectively by a developer. The balance and polish it has because of that is astounding. I play it more than I play fighting games. No game has ever managed to do that to me. 

• Upvote 2

Got my first heart kill. Only A1 but feels good to have it done. Got a twisted funnel and sneaking skull early so obviously had to go in the poison direction. Got several copies of noxious fumes and a couple catalysts. Was able to play for Defense most of the time and just get some silly poison damage ticking away. 

Im not a massive silent fan but I always seem to do much better with her. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, kempstar said:

It really is one of the greatest games of all time. Isnt it?

I'm coming round to this idea. It's one of those very rare games for me that more you examine it, the less wrong you can find with it - I'm starting to place it amongst the Halo CE’s, Mario Galaxy’s and Bloodborne's of this world. It's an odd one as its mechanics are so basic yet the depth and complexity that emerges from such simple building blocks is just sublime.

• Upvote 6

Up to A13 with Ironclad now - it's been a real slog getting here though and the amount of times I've had to change my tactics is testament to the complexity in the game.

It's happening!!!

and I still haven't got a heart kill with defect or silent. Gotten to the heart about 4 times with Silent now and just cannot get a win. 

Though playtime has been reduced this weekend  by Animal crossing. 

• Upvote 1

Causes of death playing as the Watcher:

Getting ground down over the course of a run: 0

Getting caught out in Wrath stance and being slapped clean off the face of the earth: 3

• Upvote 1

Yes. Though for some reason I had to do one run with one of the old characters before the Watcher would unlock. Probably a bug. 

On 23/03/2020 at 19:29, petrolgirls said:

Switch update is live. Finally some portable Watcher action. 

Cool; must have downloaded the update in the background, as I'm ready to go.Looking forward to learning some new cards.

This game continues to amaze. I have been grinding ironclad, going for a20. I was having a really poor time on a11, struggling to get any momentum. Then came this run:

A11.thumb.jpg.54a007263ac9458cd6147fe8d16bfb76.jpg

Possibly the most bizarre run I've ever had. It was the first time that I really understood the OPness of tungsten rod (mitigate 1 hp of each damage instance) for ironclad. It makes all of the 1 HP loss for ### cards completely free to use. Strange spoon also meant that my exhaust cards like apparition and disarm only exhausted half of the time. At one point, I had an enemy on permanent -strength. If only I had barricade, I could have had infinite block.

That's not to say that I didn't have plenty of close calls. On several occasions, the cards didn't fall right and I had a max hp of 44 and scraped through on 1hp twice. But when it worked, it worked stupidly well.

The very next run I had this:

A12.thumb.jpg.dcf66aee3412a967bb86a18183278c66.jpg

A more traditional, and less clutch run, which was stupidly powerful at the end. On the final boss (wolf dude), I won in about 4 or 5 turns, with 38 strength which meant a single heavy blade+  hit for 408 damage (with necronomicon) . The best part of this run was the Blue candle toward the end, which meant that I could exhaust curses for free, combined with tungsten rod. I took great joy in playing necronomicurse over and over again, causing it to exhaust and come back with no change to anything. I did wonder if I had 'feel no pain' active, it would be possible to get infinite block that way too, because necronomicurse was exhausting each time before coming back in to my deck. I guess combined with 'fire breathing' could mean infinite block and damage.

• Upvote 3

On 25/03/2020 at 00:30, smac said:

Cool; must have downloaded the update in the background, as I'm ready to go.Looking forward to learning some new cards.

Wow. Did a quick exploratory game. That's a lot of new mechanics to take in; quite a few new concepts. I can see forward planning is going to be essential to master for the Watcher. But switching to angryface then dishing out a lot of stored-up, 0-cost pain was fun from the start.