rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

I got this when it was on sale recently. I’ve never played a rogue like and I haven’t played a card game apart from a few goes of netrunner since I played Magic when I was at school! Couple of my friends have played it for hundreds and hundreds of hours and I was really intrigued by it. 

So first few days I was fumbling around a bit but doing ok - easily getting past the second boss every time but not getting that much further. Then I’ve had days where I can’t even get to the first boss! I know if all depends on your cards so maybe I’ve just had an awful awful run or I’m just very bad. I know I’m not really trying to build specific decks and intend to buy rather than dispose of cards. I’m just a hoarder. Last night I was convinced I was going to do the second boss but I ended up dead with him on about 2 HP.

I’ve tried reading back a few pages but I don’t know what any of you are talking about. Apart from when you say snecko eye is fun, I love getting that relic.

Any tips?

6 minutes ago, Laine said:

Any tips?

Unless you're lucky and get a run of excellent cards, keeping your deck small is sensible. Don't always take a card, do get rid of your starter cards.

I try to keep my deck under 20 (knowing full well it'll end up close to 30 at the very end). Be really choosy, make sure you get at least a couple of cards that hit more than one enemy. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Danster said:

Unless you're lucky and get a run of excellent cards, keeping your deck small is sensible. Don't always take a card, do get rid of your starter cards.

I try to keep my deck under 20 (knowing full well it'll end up close to 30 at the very end). Be really choosy, make sure you get at least a couple of cards that hit more than one enemy. 

Be really choosy?! You should see the state of my animal crossing house! :D 

Yes I know a major failing is too many cards. I like playing as Silent I find I do most of my damage by piling on poison. So I try to get cards that will apply poison or do more damage to poisoned enemies. I’ll try to stop picking up cards that don’t fit that. 

Hitting more than one enemy is a good point! I hate the guy who increases his strength every time you use a skill. He gets me nearly every time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Laine said:

Hitting more than one enemy is a good point! I

Corpse explosion ftw ;)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Danster said:

Corpse explosion ftw ;)

I’ll look out for it! I was feeling pretty good killing the    first boss without losing may HP but a ? room just killed me when I had to fight 3 bandits, I just couldn’t keep up with the amount of times they could hit me. Stupid bandits! Should have given up my money, but I need that to get rid of cards!

1 hour ago, Laine said:

Be really choosy?! You should see the state of my animal crossing house! :D 

Yes I know a major failing is too many cards. I like playing as Silent I find I do most of my damage by piling on poison. So I try to get cards that will apply poison or do more damage to poisoned enemies. I’ll try to stop picking up cards that don’t fit that. 

Hitting more than one enemy is a good point! I hate the guy who increases his strength every time you use a skill. He gets me nearly every time. 

For poison you just need something to apply poison, two upgraded catalysts, preferably with burst or nightmare, and the specimen relic. Then just big blocks. That should take you all the way through to the end.

2 hours ago, therearerules said:

Then just big blocks.

Hope that's not a typo.

51 minutes ago, therearerules said:

For poison you just need something to apply poison, two upgraded catalysts, preferably with burst or nightmare, and the specimen relic. Then just big blocks. That should take you all the way through to the end.

Thing is, you may not get all or indeed any of those cards on a run. The joy of Slay the Spire is figuring out the best way to play the cards you're delt. Whilst there's a degree of luck involved the real skill of the game is keeping a well balanced hand that also works together with the relics you've picked up. I'd say navigating the map well is really important and often overlooked. Almost every run is viable, you've only to watch Jorbs A-20 the heart 5 times in a row to see how true this is. 

Absolutely, but the point is when you’ve got those things don’t add any more to them! If your poison is doing over 300 damage, you don’t also need a 7 damage stab or add 2 more poison on top of that.

Finally started playing this on the switch at the weekend. It’s excellent, but bloody tough. I can get to the third act, but feel like i’m Nowhere close to completing it. All the character classes feel really balanced and different to each other so far.

• Upvote 2

I think I have all but given up on beating The Heart at A20. I had an amazing few runs the last week or so, I got to The Heart three times in a row with Ironclad. And each single time, I was a single fucking card away from beating him. It was so deflating.

So, I have decided to change the way I play for a while. I have dropped down to A1, and I am just playing for fun. The only rules are - I must pick the path with the most Elites, always. Try some different things! Some highlights-

• I have come to learn how amazing The Ironclad block archetype is. Barricade, a couple of Entrenches, a few other block cards, Bodyslam + as you are basically invincible.
  • Juggernaut is a brilliant card. Especially when upgraded. It turns every block card into an attack card. I had a run with Juggernaut, Feel no pain, Dark Embrace and Corruption. So every block card I played gave me the block, did seven points of damage with Juggernaut, exhausted, gave me 4 block from feel no pain, and another card from Dark Embrace. All for zero energy!
  • I tried a Searing blow only run, and almost managed to kill The Heart on A1. I had the card upgraded to +9, so it was doing 80 or so damage or something ridiculous.
  • Upvote 1

Honestly that's how I've been playing the game for weeks now. I'm still notionally climbing ascensions with Watcher and Silent but I barely play them and instead prefer to just alternate between Ironclad and Defect on A1. It becomes a very chill game all of a sudden and I do think you learn a lot still – while climbing all you're focused on is the thing that's going to get you the win, but in A1 chill mode you become a lot more willing to step out of the comfort zone and let your deck take you where it wants, rather than trying to force it into a winning strategy. I'm quite sure that's what you're supposed to do on A20 as well, but I was always too tightly clenched to even consider it. 

I'm only at ascension 8 but I quite often do a sealed deck game in custom, and see if I can put something together that I might not have normally come up with. That's always fun.

Apparently I've been playing this for nearly 19 hours now and I've still yet to complete a run.

My stats are also telling me I have 0/370 discovered cards and 0/178 Relics discovered. This doesn't make sense as I've clearly unlocked some cards as has now been pointed out to me.

I can typically get to the end of the third act without dying.

What am I doing wrong, aside from being shit?

You sure you're looking at the right character's stats? You discover new cards in your first run - the first card you get as a reward in your first battle is a 'discovered' new card.

19 hours is nothing for your first complete run, although a few people on here managed to beat Act 3 on their first run. Bastards.

Have you beaten the Act 3 boss yet? That's what counts as a successful run to begin with. After that, you can look at Ascension runs which ramp up the difficulty.

You're looking to repeat this initial victory with each the three primary characters, which then allows you to progress a little deeper after defeating the Act 3 Boss in new runs if you also collect a set of shards along the way.

As I've been climbing Ascensions, the question I've often been asking myself is:

Spoiler

Does it really count as a successful run if I haven't gone for the heart?

For strider, where he is, a resounding 'yes'.

10 minutes ago, strider said:

I can get to it but can’t beat it.

here’s my stats.

B51759A6-1BAE-472F-8BF5-8C9D486FA5D4.jpeg

That looks weird to me - you must have been picking up cards and relics on the way, and those should all be discovered. You've unlocked a bunch, too.

Smells like a bug.

Just my luck to have found a bug :lol:

Will keep cracking on with it. I've never managed to complete Dead Cells, but I still love it.

Another vote here for Snecko Eye. Finished my 2nd run in my first 13 attempts with the first character. Snecko Eye made it considerably easier, it just gives you a bunch more options. 

• Upvote 2

On 05/05/2020 at 20:37, Nate Dogg III said:

Honestly that's how I've been playing the game for weeks now. I'm still notionally climbing ascensions with Watcher and Silent but I barely play them and instead prefer to just alternate between Ironclad and Defect on A1. It becomes a very chill game all of a sudden and I do think you learn a lot still – while climbing all you're focused on is the thing that's going to get you the win, but in A1 chill mode you become a lot more willing to step out of the comfort zone and let your deck take you where it wants, rather than trying to force it into a winning strategy. I'm quite sure that's what you're supposed to do on A20 as well, but I was always too tightly clenched to even consider it. 

Completely. Ive been messing around with exhaust cards that I never really bothered with in the past. Plus going back to A1 has meant I have noticed so many new synergies that I can take back to A20. I would never have taken a chance with them in A20 as there is zero room for error there!

Second Wind is a card I have probably taken once or twice before today. It is 15 block, for 1 energy, but it adds two wounds into your hand. But combine it with Fiend Fire (exhaust all cards in your hand for 7 damage each, Exhaust, for two energy) and instead of being a problem, those wounds are actually great as they are more fuel for the fire :)

The other neat synergy that I never really noticed is that The Boot (if you deal less than 4 damage, increase it to 5) is actually also really good, particular on the first Act. Cards like Pummel (deal 2 damage four times, Exhaust) and Sword Boomerang (deal 3 damage 3 times to a random enemy) become really powerful as they are now 20 and 15 damage for 1 energy. The Boot is even more useful if you are weak, as it effectively just ignores the weak and boosts the damage to 5 anyway. Really handy against Lagaluvin (or whatever he is called).

• Upvote 1

A1 Heart runs really are making me improve. I am discovering literally hundreds of different synergies.

I had an awesome run today with Ironclad. I picked up Tungsten Rod (where you would lose health, lose 1 less). Its a brilliant relic, just in terms of the amount of health it will save you over the course of the game. Its really useful against enemies that use multi attacks, which of course includes The Heart. And it complete cancels out Beat of Death at lower ascensions.

Combust (1 energy, lose 1 health and cause 7 damage to all enemies) is now a brilliant card (it was already pretty good), as it does 7 damage to all enemies, every round, and Tungsten Rod cancels out the 1 health loss. I was lucky enough to find 4 of them on this run, so I was doing 28 damage to all enemies each round, for -3 health. I also found a couple of Feeds and a Reaper to get the health back.

Been trying to push past A6 with Ironclad, but just can't do it atm.

I somehow beat Ironclad A5 on my second attempt but A6 is tough!

Just managed a heart kill on A8 with the Watcher - my highest yet. I've started to shift my emphasis from trying to scale quite so much, by Act 3 it's often so slow you find yourself dead long before the scaling kicks in. That last heart kill was all about a ton of energy and deck manipulation - my only scale was a single defragment card, no biased cog, no echo form but by the end I could play around 15 cards on almost every turn and hardly took a hit all game.

I've been playing this quite a bit on the Switch. Clearly I suck as I've never beaten the second boss and have no idea what an Ascension is! I might have to try getting rid of cards, as a natural hoarder I'd honestly never considered that less could be more!

10 hours ago, GokouD said:

I've been playing this quite a bit on the Switch. Clearly I suck as I've never beaten the second boss and have no idea what an Ascension is! I might have to try getting rid of cards, as a natural hoarder I'd honestly never considered that less could be more!

Absolutely getting rid of cards is almost always the best thing to do in a shop (or an event). Getting rid of a crap card, say a strike, does two things. It increases the chances of you drawing a good card, and reduces the chances of you drawing a bad card. 

Dont worry about Ascension for now. Just try and really scrutinise your card and relic choices. Try and work out what cards work well with each other. And also remember cards may be good at certain points but not others. To begin with, so most of the first act, you should be looking for damage, so you can get through the act and take out a couple of elites on the way.

There is loads of good advice on this thread. 

On 11/05/2020 at 20:59, kempstar said:

A1 Heart runs really are making me improve. I am discovering literally hundreds of different synergies.

Combust (1 energy, lose 1 health and cause 7 damage to all enemies) is now a brilliant card (it was already pretty good), as it does 7 damage to all enemies, every round, and Tungsten Rod cancels out the 1 health loss. I was lucky enough to find 4 of them on this run, so I was doing 28 damage to all enemies each round, for -3 health. I also found a couple of Feeds and a Reaper to get the health back.

This works really well - tungsten rod and two consists. A6 Ironclad, done!

• Upvote 1

On 11/05/2020 at 15:59, kempstar said:

I had an awesome run today with Ironclad. I picked up Tungsten Rod (where you would lose health, lose 1 less). Its a brilliant relic, just in terms of the amount of health it will save you over the course of the game. Its really useful against enemies that use multi attacks, which of course includes The Heart. And it complete cancels out Beat of Death at lower ascensions.

I finally downed the heart! I did this despite wasting a Bottled Tornado on a Rupture thinking it would proc off of using Combust and Brutality in my deck. I don't think it works that way. It only seems to work off cards like Offering, Bloodletting, or curse cards like Pain.  Anyways, Tungsten Rod was a lifesaver, and I think it pushed me over the finish line.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

I finally downed the heart! I did this despite wasting a Bottled Lightning on a Rupture thinking it would proc off of using Combust and Brutality in my deck. I don't think it works that way. It only seems to work off cards like Offering, Bloodletting, or curse cards like Pain.  Anyways, Tungsten Rod was a lifesaver, and I think it pushed me over the finish line.

Well done! Rupture does proc off combust and brutality. Both cards are -1 health.... but the tungsten rod cancels the -1 health, so you arent actually losing health, so rupture wont proc!