rllmuk
Nespresso

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

2 hours ago, footle said:

there is a bigger text option in settings. I just turned it on immediately though, so not sure what difference it makes

Just checked this and I think mine must have been on by default, as the only thing in the menu that I'd touched was Fast Mode. 

15 hours ago, footle said:

Amazon have 10% off App Store credit today, if that’s of any help to anyone.

This may as well go on my iPad home screen I think.

Thanks for the heads up with the credit.  I've since picked this up, even though I have no idea when I'll actually play it....

51 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Thanks for the heads up with the credit.  I've since picked this up, even though I have no idea when I'll actually play it....

Pretty much every time you have to go to the toilet?

• Upvote 1

Buying this for the third time, I double wish for a "unlock everything" button!

Felt so weird doing the first run, wondering where all the strength cards were and then unlocking Spot Weakness, Limit Break and Heavy Blade all at once.

I'm really hoping for a win on my first play through. (Not gonna happen, already made some bad choices). 

What a game. 

Just did the double Dropkick infinite on the Champ so I'm ready to proclaim this the best version yet (on iPad anyway). 

Annoying really, I've never managed it on PC and the achievement for playing 25 cards in a single turn is one of the few I still haven't got.

I did it! One game, one win! 100% win rate.

I'ld never play it again to keep the win rate, but it's crack.

• Upvote 1

time to buy a battery recharger and double dip - this has surprise dropped on iOS for £9.99

I swear when I started unlocking stuff again after switching to Steam from the game pass version that setting up some viable decks was a lot easier with the initially smaller card pool before unlocks.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Benny said:

I swear when I started unlocking stuff again after switching to Steam from the game pass version that setting up some viable decks was a lot easier with the initially smaller card pool before unlocks.

I’ve found that with Silent particularly. Playing Ironclad you notice quite a bit of strength scaling is hidden behind the unlocks. 

37 minutes ago, Gotters said:

time to buy a battery recharger and double dip - this has surprise dropped on iOS for £9.99

No way!

On 13/06/2020 at 17:41, JDubYes said:

Say goodbye to your loved ones...

IOS version now available.

:-)

First Heart win with The Watcher; but checking the achievements/trophies, it looks like I don't have the sapphire+ for The Silent. I mustn't have beaten the heart with her. I was sure I had done the endgame with all of them.

Watcher run was crazy - 28 cards, with 25 relics. Heart took 9 turns to kill, but I took only 6 damage! Some of those turns we’re pretty long - flipping in and out of stances can build up a fair bit of energy to keep you going.

Dead branch also helped, as usual.

Well, that's weird - it looks like it has completely lost my Silent win history. It's not showing any Act 3 wins, yet I have two separate screenshots showing me about to wipe out the Awakened One. On Switch.

These are just a few impressions because I've only played it about 10 hours and have barely scratched the surface.

I got my first win (with Ironclad) and felt a great sense of achievement but also surprise because I thought there was going to be another act or two after the three stages. Not a criticism and in fact I can't wait to try it again, now with Silent.

Having little experience with card battling I probably agonize too much over every card I play. Subsequently my runs take a long time but I do feel like I started to speed up a bit. My win came (probably) because of two cards that seemed to see me through really well: Bludgeon and Flame Barrier (plus Headbutt was very useful for bringing powerful cards back into my hand). I also got a half price off the shop membership card and a choose a random card at the start of combat relic which made a huge difference. I instinctively feel like relics have a major influence on run success moreso than good cards..?

I still don't really know how to build a unified deck. Are there any good videos/resources to help me with this aspect? I see you can have attack decks, defence decks and probably more specific ones too. At the end of my run I had about 30 cards in my deck. Is this normal or should I ideally narrow it down and focus?

Loving the game, it's a different change of pace, but I feel like I have a heck of a lot to learn and my win may have been more down to luck than strategy.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

surprise because I thought there was going to be another act or two after the three stages. Not a criticism and in fact I can't wait to try it again, now with Silent.

You should have seen a strange door after your win.

Spoiler

One of the three sections lit up - that for the Ironclad.

You need to complete with the other two characters - Silent and Defect - to unlock all three keys needed to reach the end game.

Even then, you have to pick up all three parts of the key in a complete run. One from any rest place instead of resting; one from any non-boss chest instead of the relic, and one from an elite with an extra buff - that one you have to plan a route to; it will appear on the map wreathed in flames; there's one chance on each act to pick it up, so waiting until Act 2 can be better.

1 hour ago, smac said:

You should have seen a strange door after your win.

Hide contents

One of the three sections lit up - that for the Ironclad.

You need to complete with the other two characters - Silent and Defect - to unlock all three keys needed to reach the end game.

Even then, you have to pick up all three parts of the key in a complete run. One from any rest place instead of resting; one from any non-boss chest instead of the relic, and one from an elite with an extra buff - that one you have to plan a route to; it will appear on the map wreathed in flames; there's one chance on each act to pick it up, so waiting until Act 2 can be better.

Thanks, that gives me a lot to work on.

Or look forward to. Never mind the Ascension challenges...

I bought this on PC about, hmm, 3 weeks ago? I've already clocked 40 hours on it. It's scary.

I'm easing off though because I think I was playing it too much. I'm not very consistent, but i've beaten the heart with Silent and Ironclad. I got really really close last night with Defect but my plan is to 'complete' it that way with Defect then move onto the monk girl (can't remember her name)

Something I'd say to Mawdlin, it's probably okay to just play recklessly and not agonise too much over the cards. Being a little random will maybe be frustrating as you end up dying really quickly for no good reason, on an enemy you've maybe killed loads of times before, but on the flipside not thinking too much, taking every card, experimenting, will help introduce ways that some cards will work together. Cards I hadn't really appreciated ended up creating a synergy with others and some ridiculous chain reactions.

People will tell you not to take too many cards and that's all very correct for proper strategy but it's sometimes worth just taking everything to see what happens. 

I would like to be more strategic though, I am not quite good at appreciating what cards I've ended up with and then letting that influence what cards I take, i.e. adapting to the cards you acquired rather than going in with a mindset on how you want to play.

I'm sad there's no android version yet though. Then again it's not too bad over steam link - a little fiddly but it works.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Are there any good videos/resources to help me with this aspect?

jorbs on youtube is the go-to guy for this game.

• Upvote 3

Agreed, I found some of his 'overexplained' videos really helpful early on and still watch the occasional run to pick up tips. Some of his synergies still surprise me, several hundred hours in.

Should I play on ascension as soon as it's available? I beat the heart with the silent and ironclad, working on the defect now. 

4 hours ago, Sane said:

Should I play on ascension as soon as it's available? I beat the heart with the silent and ironclad, working on the defect now. 

I'd say so, it ramps up the difficulty quite slowly. Ascension 1 is, if anything, easier as it spawns more elites. 

Alright thanks. Any tips for playing the Defect? I like figuring stuff out myself but I'm finding it pretty tough and quite different from the Ironclad and Silent. Is it good to focus on 1 kind of orb or is a mix generally better?

Bunch of different strategies out there.

Simple one is to cycle a lot of lightning attacks through; there are a lot of cards to invoke lightning incidentally, on playing a power, taking damage, etc. So keep your slot count low and make sure each invocation triggers an orb use. Recursion is better than Dual Wield.

Another is to turtle with a lot of frost orbs, then invoke a single dark orb. Leave that to develop into a killing amount of damage before cycling it into play. This can benefit from increasing orb slots for more defence, as you aren't trying to cycle orbs through so much.

Focus escalation is your friend. I tend to keep orbs cycling, but that's not great for dark orb decks.

Also, always always pick up the Orange Pellets relic playing as Defect - it makes cards like Biased Cog and Wraith Form stupidly powerful.

• Upvote 1