IGNORED

Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Nespresso

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I’ve just started playing this. I’ve made a huge mistake, haven’t I?

Yes. It was game of the year last year which means you’ve missed out on at least 12 months of slay the spire addiction, even if you waited till the rllmuk vote, which you shouldn’t have.

So I ‘beat’ the game on my third run. No idea whether this was due to an OP set of cards or because I was just starting to get an idea of how the various combinations can work together. Now to complete it with the other characters and then start ascension mode. I’m sure I’m in for a rude awakening, though!

Also, I tried Monster Train out of interest and it’s not as good as this.

30 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Also, I tried Monster Train out of interest and it’s not as good as this.

It's different. Slay the Spire is incredibly precise, the balance is astonishing really but the pace is very slow and deliberate. Monster Train is scrappier and more chaotic, there are loads more ways you can combine stuff and it barrels past a lot more quickly and while it sometimes lacks balance, it's entertainingly anarchic. I'd be genuinely surprised if people who love one game don't find a lot to like in the other.

27 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

So I ‘beat’ the game on my third run. No idea whether this was due to an OP set of cards or because I was just starting to get an idea of how the various combinations can work together. Now to complete it with the other characters and then start ascension mode. I’m sure I’m in for a rude awakening, though!

Also, I tried Monster Train and it’s not as good as this.

I like Monster Train as a come down from Slay the Spire, when you've had one too many runs on STS that ended with a couple of freak hands from your deck or where you were aiming for a build that never quite came together...

Then you put on Monster Train and it invites you to break the game any way you want and you can do ridiculous synergies and combos on every run.

55 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

WTF! Man I suck at games!

11 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Your reaction indicates it was probably an OP deck. :lol:

I've been playing for a couple months now, It's the perfect game for when I have 30 minutes free to have one more try but only managed to get to floor 3 recently with The Silent. No chance of beating this game!

Finally!

Capture.PNG.ccf26a07f4fbe549ce2066cb2dc0d409.PNG

So frustrating to have gotten these two on my Switch (less played version) but not on Steam (most played version). Until today, when the stars aligned :)

20210315113519_1.thumb.jpg.3c08bcf745f1c6945211bbe3b7a38cd8.jpg

I'd never have thought to choose bloodletting for a low card run, but got it when I transformed all my strikes and defends and it worked like a dream. I spent 12 health to kill the Transient. :) 

really need to let go of my obsession with low card decks and move on with my life. I managed to get a 2 card winning deck, but this was pure, pure luck. I had Bash+, Dropkick+ and Dropkick. I was able to find a Vulnerable potion before the final boss (Awakened One) and already had Bag of Marbles (Cast vulnerable on all enemies at turn 1), so I peace piped bash, and I was able to use the potion on the second form and just infinitely Dropkick.

There is only one real way of winning with 1 card, which is Anger + Spinning Top. I have never done it, and can make peace with the fact that I know how to do it, and the rest is just reliant on pure luck.

But something else is keeping me up at night

Is it theoretically possible to beat the game with a zero card deck? You would need Nilrys Codex, so you could draw one card per turn, but this doesnt count as "cards". If you had Mark of Pain (+1 energy, start combat with two wounds in your draw pile, these do not count as "cards) AND Medical Kit (you can play the wounds, which will exhaust it) AND Dead Branch (draw 1 card when you exhaust a card), this would allow you to exhaust the wounds and get two beautiful new cards, that dont count as "cards".

Obviously this is all incredibly unlikely to happen, and you would need to get incredibly lucky to get the right cards to not die, but I think this is theoretically possible within the rules of the game? Can you use peace pipe or a shop to remove a card from your deck when you only have one card?

I think once I have resolved this, I can move on.

On 15/03/2021 at 11:42, Danster said:

Finally!

Capture.PNG.ccf26a07f4fbe549ce2066cb2dc0d409.PNG

So frustrating to have gotten these two on my Switch (less played version) but not on Steam (most played version). Until today, when the stars aligned :)

20210315113519_1.thumb.jpg.3c08bcf745f1c6945211bbe3b7a38cd8.jpg

I'd never have thought to choose bloodletting for a low card run, but got it when I transformed all my strikes and defends and it worked like a dream. I spent 12 health to kill the Transient. :) 

How on earth do you get through with only one block card? Is this defeating Act 4 too?

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

How on earth do you get through with only one block card? Is this defeating Act 4 too?

You only need to beat Act 3 to get the achievement. That deck is an infinite deck (actually not quite, as you would eventually run out of health from the Bloodletting)

Play Bash

Play Pommel Strike

You now have all cards in your hand and the boss is vulnerable. 

Play Pommel Strike

You now have Pommel Strike in your discard pile, and the rest of your cards in your hand.

Play Dropkick, which draws the Pommel Strike for +1 energy

Play Pommel Strike, which draws the Dropkick

When you get down to low energy, you will need to play the Bloodletting. Then you play Pommel Strike, which will draw Bloodletting and Dropkick, rinse and repeat.

Make sense?

3 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

As Kempster said it was an almost infinite deck. I reckon I could have beaten act 4 though as well. If you can beat the Transient down from 999 health only using 12 energy... Well pretty much everything else would go down too.

• 2 weeks later...

I set myself a little challenge of a20 heart completions on each character. Players like Jorbs went up in my estimation even more - I felt like a total noob again! I took a few days to get through all the characters but personally I found Silent by far the most difficult to complete it on. Even the successful run felt more lucky (in terms of decent relics) than well constructed. Anyone else feel this (I'm on switch so silent hasn't had the patched buffs yet).

Having done a fair few runs with characters back to back, whilst I think all characters are unique and fun to play, I'd probably go with Defect as my favourite, then Watcher. I wonder if they are considering more characters as dlc or a follow up - I cannot stop playing this game!

Ive been messing around with The Ironclad using a Wound/Burn/Exhaust deck. I managed to get it down to an almost perfect deck, where every card contributed to the strategy (couldnt quite get rid of the flame barrier).

Immolate+ *3

Wild Strike+

Reckless Charge+

Fiend Fire+

Power Through+

Second Wind+

Burning Pact (this isnt great without an upgrade)

Flame Barrier+

Fire Breathing+

Fire Breathing+

Dark Embrace

Feel No Pain *2

Evolve+

Basically you want to try and generate as much junk in your deck as you can - Wounds (from Wild Strike and Mark of Pain), Burns (from Immolate) and even curses. 

Then you use powers to either cause damage from these cards (Fire Breathing) or exhaust them and generate more block. It is quite dependent on getting the right powers, but is a lot of fun when everything falls into place. Evolve is the game changer in this approach, because once upgraded, every time you draw a status or curse, it draws two more cards. It doesnt take long for you to be able to flood your deck with lots of cards, causing lots of damage, and potentially allowing you to exhaust them for more block.

Finally made it to the Act 3 boss on a daily run and he pulled a heal recovery turn that wiped off all the poison I had on him!

:angry:

It's an addictive game, I seem to fair better with the Silent character using a poison run.

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

What are the views in the iOS port, I hear it's a bit rough?

It is behind the PC, but I’m still playing a game or two a day...

(it’s not like I read the card descriptions, etc. and I’m playing on an iPad or Pro Max phone so it’s still playable)

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

What are the views in the iOS port, I hear it's a bit rough?

Lower framerate and I find the cards can be a bit 'sticky' with touch-control, but nothing to worry about in general. It's currently behind the PC version in terms of balance patches. I think the resolution makes it bit too small for iPhone Pro, but it's better framed on iPad.

And no synced save between iPhone/iPad.

Edited by Hyper P

• 2 weeks later...

Im currently part way through Act 2 with the following cards-

Defend * 3

Flex+ 

Anger+

I ALSO HAVE UNCEASING TOP! The one card win is a real possibility! I have one shop on my path, so I will need to get three more removes on Act 3.

Pray for me!

I got a shop in a Question Mark! I am just about the fight the Act 2 boss with the following cards-

Defend+

Flex+

Anger+

Ive got 187 gold, which is not going to be enough for 2 more removes, so I just need a bit of luck on the Act 3 map. I need either some cash and another shop, or a lucky event to remove a card. 

PLEASE NO CLOCK COCK 

On 22/04/2021 at 13:28, smac said:

Talk about overshooting your mark...6 cards, 3 cards, 1 card...0 cards; bugger!

Its my own stupid fault. I could have basically killed any enemy on Act 3 on turn 1, only the spiky things could damage me. I didnt even think to try and avoid the events!

Edit: The only things that are a threat when you have Anger and Unceasing Top, and are working down towards a single card (so you have 3+ cards) are enemies that can put cards into your deck - e.g. Wounds or Burns, because that stops you from drawing unlimited cards.