Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Nespresso

31 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I've been really enjoying this on Game Pass. My favourite thing though is that the vendor sounds like he says "Fuck off!" when he speaks. It's given the wife and I a much needed chuckle over the last week.

Mine is the Cultists saying "KAKAAAAA!" on turn one, to which I have to loudly respond in kind. I wish I could say it gives my other half a chuckle, she just looks at me with a mixture of contempt and pity. 

Can any of you superfans recommend some guides to me? Ideally ones I can read, not video, but I'll deal with whatever. I have been playing this on and off for a while and enjoying it, but I'm a total newbie to the genre and wonder if I'm missing something. I generally get to about halfway through 'level 3' before dying, and don't really understand what people are on about when they say things like "A24" and "builds". Like, I just play the hand it deals me and try to get artefacts. 

I usually play on mute on Android but I have the Game pass one on PC as well. Feels like I'm also missing out on funny noises now.

On 13/08/2021 at 10:42, petrolgirls said:

Mine is the Cultists saying "KAKAAAAA!" on turn one, to which I have to loudly respond in kind. I wish I could say it gives my other half a chuckle, she just looks at me with a mixture of contempt and pity. 

Don't getta me wrongo. 99% of the time that's the way my wife looks at me. When the vendor says "Fuck off!" is the remaining 1%.

4 minutes ago, milko said:

Can any of you superfans recommend some guides to me? Ideally ones I can read, not video, but I'll deal with whatever. I have been playing this on and off for a while and enjoying it, but I'm a total newbie to the genre and wonder if I'm missing something. I generally get to about halfway through 'level 3' before dying, and don't really understand what people are on about when they say things like "A24" and "builds". Like, I just play the hand it deals me and try to get artefacts. 

I usually play on mute on Android but I have the Game pass one on PC as well. Feels like I'm also missing out on funny noises now.

The main thing to remember is that you do not need every card. And that getting rid of your Strikes/Defends is a positive tactic. Deck sizes of around 20 (or less) are often a good rule of thumb to aim for - although there are always exceptions.

I find googling the Card name or Relic often takes you to a Reddit thread  (for example: here) about that item where people discuss pros and cons and what works well with it. So if you're unsure whether to take a card or not, it's worth a quick google to find out. I know you said no videos (and I totally get that, I'm the same) but it is well worth watching one of the detailed run throughs that Jorbs does, he's a very nice presenter and goes into masses of details of why he's picking a particular card on those videos. His usual videos are played at his normal pace, which can be a bit confusing early on.

Ascension levels are unlocked once you complete the game once with a character and go to level 20 - each level penalises you a little bit more, less gold, harder enemies, less potions, worse special rooms etc etc.

Final boss spoiler:

Spoiler

Once you've completed the game with the three main characters you get the chance to pick up keys as you progress, get all three on a run through and you unlock an extra floor where you can fight the Heart, which is the true final boss. Do that on A20 and you've done it on the hardest level in total.

Jorbs:

6 minutes ago, Danster said:

The main thing to remember is that you do not need every card. And that getting rid of your Strikes/Defends is a positive tactic. Deck sizes of around 20 (or less) are often a good rule of thumb to aim for - although there are always exceptions.

oh! I hadn't thought of it that way. So you'd try to only have really good cards that come around more frequently? Its usual that when I'm dying it is because my block's not good enough when needed or something.

The main reason to get rid of Strikes and Defends is just that - thins the deck for the better cards that you will be picking up anyway, and the Strikes and Defends are by nature made to be replaced as they will have better equivalents that do more things or are more efficient for cost.

Also, think of your health as a resource. Sometimes it might be better to take a bit of damage instead of blocking if it means killing an enemy faster, as it might be next turn they will do even more damage which can be avoided if you can kill them that turn instead after the previous attack you did.

1 hour ago, milko said:

In additions to Dansters excellent precis I'd also recommend https://maybelatergames.co.uk/tools/slaythespire/tierlist/cards/ironclad - each card is ranked (although I wouldn't get too hung up on that) and there's a useful 'what we think' of each card and a list of synergies/anti-synergies. Whilst the ranking gives a good overall idea of card strength what is much more important is how the cards interact with each other. Each class has several viable strategies that work well for a selection of cards. Ironclad, for instance, can exhaust cards in his hand to great effect but it requires you to have the right kind of cards that work in tandem with each other (Corruption, Feel No Pain, Havoc, Fiend Fire etc) and relics (Dead Branch, Charons Ashes, Strange Spoon, etc). The thing is you can't really plan for any strategy on any given playthrough as you get given cards randomly (albeit with a choice of three) so you have to adapt your strategy on the hoof for the most part.

I'd also echo that Jorbs is essential viewing, his overexplained runs are excellent for those new to the game.

11 hours ago, milko said:

There are absolutely loads of guides around, and other people have already mentioned a few things. Honestly, its best to just read through this thread, or just Google “Ironclad guide” or whatever. But, my top tips are, and I have tried to put them in order of complexity-

1) Draw is so important: You need to understand how draw works. This is a resource too. You will normally draw 5 cards at a time. If you have a huge deck, it means every card you pick up, you have a much smaller chance of drawing a specific card, every hand. Simple example - Its nice having lots of powerful attacks. But what if you need to defend that round? You have 5 chances each round, to get the card you want.

2) Synergy is so important: Try and look for, and understand, synergies between cards, and relics. This is what wins you runs. There are hundreds, even thousands of synergies, so I wont try and explain them. 

3) Remove is so important: You start every run with 9 crappy cards. Every time you draw one of these, it stopped you drawing a better card. Get rid of your crap cards! In a very simple way….. get rid of strikes, then get rid of defends. Your main source of remove is shops. But also events and relics.

4) The best card is often “no card”: You can pick a card after every battle, but you dont HAVE to, and actually most of the time, its better not to. Only pick cards that make your deck stronger.

5) Energy is so important: When you choose a boss relic, having an extra energy is normally far, far more powerful than any disadvantage. Playing an extra attack, skill or power in a round is a huge advantage. Prioritise energy relics over pretty much anything (usually!).

Welcome to gaming crack.

image.png.079520d1c88e525cba70d2365f6f852a.png

This run was one of the most fun I've had in a while.

Kept it quite lean, and the 5 x Apparition basically meant I could stack block with barricade while just laying waste to everything with the Rampages, for a final Body Slam coup de gras. Even if they did get through, Singing Bowl and Feed had got my HP to absurd levels. The card draw meant more Rampage, more often. I even had two fairies in a bottle at the end.

Ooh that does look fun. I never take Apparitions on Ironclad, and I'm not entirely sure why. Barricade didn't really occur to me. 

I've had four or five early Corruption/Dead Branch runs in the last ten days, to the point that I am now offended when they don't both turn up in act one. Most fun I've had of late was a very early Kunai with Silent, ended up with five upgraded Blade Dance and finished the Heart fight with like 23 Dexterity. Silly Spire is the best.

For high risk reward I found some great synergy just now with upgraded Rupture and Jax. 3hp for 5 strength? Don't mind if I do.

EDIT: of course I burned out on the Awakened One finally.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, strider said:

I've put 40 hours into this now and still can't complete a run. I love the game but I'm clearly terrible at it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The best beginners' tip I ever got was that often, reducing the size of your deck is the best choice you can make. Don't take every card that is offered to you. Remove your initial Strikes and Defends as soon as you get better options. You want a small, streamlined deck of cards that work well together, not a bloated hand of options that will never come up when you need them.

Try and watch a couple of Jorbs videos if you can, you'll probably find he's playing the game in a completely different way to you so may give you some pointers.

I'm waaaaaaay back into this all of a sudden thanks to realising there was an android version... OMG toilet breaks take too long now!!

I'm so, so bad though. Enjoying watching various youtubers/streamers play to spot things / synergies I'd never noticed before.  For example, only just recently discovered why cards like pummel and sword boomerang are so good for Ironclad, once you've got some strength bonus!! Jeez!  Feel stupid.  

I do love Jorbs, but I'm also enjoying this guy, who's a bit louder/more annoying, but quite amusing imo. 

3 hours ago, robdood said:

I'm so, so bad though

Having said this, I then finished off this run over lunch time, first one in a while where it felt like I was thinking about things properly and making good choices for pathing / cards  etc :) 

I love the Defect when you get a strong channelling deck going. :wub:

image.thumb.png.3dbb89cd2951351d40a975d477dc40cf.png

I've also recently been playing this a lot on my phone as I'm having to spend a fair bit of time on trains at the moment. Just managed to get all characters to ascension 5 and finished all their unlocks. More fool me, as in my last run I got both akabeko AND ceramic fish and regret playing the Watcher enough to unlock them. :( 

Don't you dare do Akabeko like that. What if it all comes together and you have Bag Of Marbles, 5 Energy, Mutagenic Strength, Pen Nib and Necronomicon, and like two Offerings, a Flex+ and Whirlwind+ in your starting hand, eh? Then you'd be like, man, I wish I had me some Akabeko.

I do quite like Akabeko honestly. I'll take it over a key most of the time. I have no idea why Ceramic Fish exists, though. 

I like 35-card decks too, just to keep up with the recent discourse while I'm here. Throw in Apparitions and I'll take 40 no bother.