Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Nespresso

I really need to play Watcher more. I am absolutely terrible with her!

Also - just had my first ever run where I had the balls to actually take Apparition - was excellent for Ironclad!  It's funny how the events seem sooooo negative when you're a new player. "OMG I can't survive on half HP" to "OMG who needs block anymore" is an interesting and excellent transition of mind :D 

Another super good fun run completed :D Had cards and energy coming out of my ears, The Silent was basically unstoppable.  Was nice to feel like I was 'strong enough' at the start of act 3, so went for ? rooms and shops more than fights or bosses - used doppelganger for the first time, it was mad powerful.  Nightmare copying Fletchettes and drawing hands full of skills was so fucking great.  Had some amazing turns where I was close to the end of my deck and managed to proc Adrenaline and use Acrobatics twice, etc, and get huge Pen Nibbed damage out of finisher.  

What a freaking game.  Endlessly replayable. Totally genius in its design. 

image.thumb.png.1f4572fd1a98b199857c5470fd613f1d.png

13 hours ago, robdood said:

Another super good fun run completed :D Had cards and energy coming out of my ears, The Silent was basically unstoppable.  Was nice to feel like I was 'strong enough' at the start of act 3, so went for ? rooms and shops more than fights or bosses - used doppelganger for the first time, it was mad powerful.  Nightmare copying Fletchettes and drawing hands full of skills was so fucking great.  Had some amazing turns where I was close to the end of my deck and managed to proc Adrenaline and use Acrobatics twice, etc, and get huge Pen Nibbed damage out of finisher.

Pulp Fiction English Motherfucker.gif

Ogbomosho to you as well. 

I will never stop playing this game. Roguebook is excellent for anyone looking for a game to scratch a similar itch, but even the new game sheen of Roguebook hasn't stopped me playing Spire alongside it. 

I now have 4 silent A20 Heart Kills with Silent, 3 Ironclad and 2 Defect. Really chuffed with the Defect wins as I find the Act 4 elites and The Heart extremely hard with him on Ascension 20. He is the worst of the three for storming the game all the way to Act 4 and then dying on turn 3 to the Act 4 elites. 

I haven't done it at all with The Watcher. I find her the least fun to play, so I don't get inspired to attempt it very often. Will have to do it at least once to complete the set though. 

1300 hours on the game across the PC and Switch versions. Good lord. 

57 minutes ago, JLM said:

Roguebook is excellent for anyone looking for a game to scratch a similar itch

Ah, is that so? I've uninstalled StS for a bit because I am too willingly distracted by it when trying to work, but kinda need something similar for actual downtime. Might give it a spin.

As for all-claw decks, this is tremendous fun:

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Ogbomosho to you as well. 

I will never stop playing this game. Roguebook is excellent for anyone looking for a game to scratch a similar itch, but even the new game sheen of Roguebook hasn't stopped me playing Spire alongside it. 

I now have 4 silent A20 Heart Kills, 3 Ironclad and 2 Defect. Really chuffed with the Defect wins as I find the Act 4 elites and The Heart extremely hard with him on Ascension 20. He is the worst of the three for storming the game all the way to Act 4 and then dying on turn 3 to the Act 4 elites. 

I haven't done it at all with The Watcher. I find her the least fun to play, so I don't get inspired to attempt it very often. Will have to do it at least once to complete the set though. 

1300 hours on the game across the PC and Switch versions. Good lord. 

I also have been finding the Watcher a grind. I think she's more balanced now, but was far more fun to play during the middle period of her development when she was way, way overtuned. It's been quite weird going back to low ascensions after a break of at least a year and a half, some skills have remained while others have completely fallen by the wayside. Also looking at my stats so far, I've been pretty surprised by how they stack up against my impressions of how I've felt I've been playing.

I've just been rotating through the characters until they're all the same ascension level, and I got off to a perfect start - 1 win for each character before dying even once (was tempted to call it quits there, tbh!) I assumed I was hot shit because I got to ascension 5 with the Ironclad before dying with that character even once, but have been feeling like Silent and Watcher have been huge struggles so far. Defect is basically a coin toss, in my memory. Very easy to get going at low level but sometimes it just falls apart in act 2 when nothing's working. It felt like the not-fully-unlocked cardpool was holding me back with both Defect and Silent, but I doubt that opinion holds up to any scrutiny! BTW, my last run with Defect I didn't get offered a single frost orb card until mid way through act 3. :hmm:

Anyway, looking at my stats, Ironclad, Silent and Defect are all 6 or 7 wins and 4 losses, and Watcher is 6 wins 1 loss! Despite me feeling like I'm an Ironclad GENIUS, apparently at low ascension and low sample size, I'm pretty much the same with all the characters. Except Watcher, who feels boring to play but is actually busted. Brains are weeeird, man!

I tried doing that (leveling up ascensions across the characters) but found making the switch between characters was holding me back. 

I beat the heat at 20 with Ironclad a while ago and am now on a17 with Silent.

Feels like I need to beat the heart on a20 with every character to finally absolutely complete this game...

... Then do it again on switch!

4 minutes ago, Danster said:

I tried doing that (leveling up ascensions across the characters) but found making the switch between characters was holding me back. 

I beat the heat at 20 with Ironclad a while ago and am now on a17 with Silent.

Feels like I need to beat the heart on a20 with every character to finally absolutely complete this game...

... Then do it again on switch!

Yeah, I'm basically playing New Game+ on mobile. I've done the grind on PC already!

Oh man this Watcher run has been excellent fun so far.  My first card taken was Ragnarok.  Since I'm rocking Snecko I've just gone for some mad high-cost, high damage cards.  Also picked up a Vault, which is just INSANE when it's occasionally 0 energy.   I beat the Act 1 boss in a 'single' turn :D 

That 'fight an act 1 boss' event from Act 3... Slime boss.  I'd made a copy of Ragnarok+ after buying the Dolls Mirror at a shop, drank a flex poition, killed in two cards :D

THIS GAME. 

Aaah, so close on the daily. I was really missing some big damage / scaling for the Time Eater fight.  And man I only had about 25 max hp by the end!  Especially gutting as I was slowly but surely just decimating everything else. Got him down to about 20% HP but I just couldn't keep up with the blocking and do damage at the same time!!  Hard to get cards with these settings... What's the best idea, go for shops / elites, I guess?

Next time.  Look at this ludicrous amount of relics tho! :lol:

734806046_dailyrelicswoah.jpg.24a9c0cd29a670817ddac97922b869a2.jpg

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Aaah, so close on the daily. I was really missing some big damage / scaling for the Time Eater fight.  And man I only had about 25 max hp by the end!  Especially gutting as I was slowly but surely just decimating everything else. Got him down to about 20% HP but I just couldn't keep up with the blocking and do damage at the same time!!  Hard to get cards with these settings... What's the best idea, go for shops / elites, I guess?

Next time.  Look at this ludicrous amount of relics tho! :lol:

734806046_dailyrelicswoah.jpg.24a9c0cd29a670817ddac97922b869a2.jpg

Just tried this myself, haven't done a daily in ages but five Coolheaded seemed like a fun time. Also died to Time Eater.

Would have been fine if I'd been able to find any Focus whatsoever at any point at all. I had a Focus potion and used it on the first boss, thinking I'd of course get some more. Was pretty plain sailing until Time Eater but when he started properly hitting after enrage I had no chance really. Darnit.

57 minutes ago, footle said:

Interesting - I’ve had five claws on both iPad and phone today on the daily. I’d assumed it wasn’t RNG.

I'm not sure what dictates the seed we all get, possibly is related to platform / version though. 

THE DREAM.

20210923093922_1.thumb.jpg.7710ab3ab3e2493179fe8f91111b6bf1.jpg

Pretty sure I've posted about this before but it's just the best and I go looking for it so often and it so very rarely comes together.

Rupture for +2 Strength whenever you lose HP playing a card. Blue Candle to exhaust a curse at the cost of 1 HP. Necronomicon to play your first 2-cost attack each turn twice, and the accompanying Necronomicurse, which pops back into your hand after you exhaust it. Two Feel No Pain for block, and Calipers to sustain it. Runic Pyramid to retain your hand between turns.

Get a Rupture or two and the Feel No Pains in play, get Necronomicurse and a Reaper in hand, then just play the curse over and over and watch your strength tick up. Keep going until a single Reaper attacks for half the remaining HP of the beefiest enemy on screen, then play the Reaper, kill everything and move on with full health. Hope you don't get Time Eater, but if you do just manage the split and kill with Heavy Blade or Bludgeon instead. Behold:

20210923093518_1.thumb.jpg.616f0b522d78eb538776f92685bd0af4.jpg

I reinstalled the game, yes. Day off today, isn't it. Glad I did.

Having said that, this deck is... interesting for Watcher, 2 fights into Act 2.  Swapped relic for the Astrolabe, was gutted initially but it gave me Study+, Wheel Kick+ and Just Lucky+, which have been absolutely amazing to be fair! Prismatic shard at the first shop and now we've got a bit of a rainbow deck going :D

watch1.thumb.jpg.e3f8ad1a039469a86424847599f6730e.jpg

watch2.thumb.jpg.16edadd3b2904f9d805d86da0a2069a1.jpg

I just had my most fun run in ages. After smashing through act 1 with hyperbeam and very little else, I got offered my first snecko eye in flipping ages. I didn’t have any frost orbs, or even any other 2 cost cards, but since didn’t have any card draw either I thought it would be worth the investment. Payed off almost immediately with meteor strike early in act 2, followed by necronomicon (no curse thanks to omamori) and two echo forms. Also found capacitors and a consume before the end of the act, which was basically a joke thanks two either low cost or double/triple hyperbeams and meteor strikes. Took busted crown as I basically didn’t have much left to scrounge up by that point.

I knew it could beat the heart so went for the keys in act three and somehow my deck went from strength to strength, getting me the loops, frost orbs and heatsink I needed to really get WILD. Plus an electrodynamics because why not!

Unsurprisingly, it was smooth sailing all the way!

A862991D-D594-46D4-A135-3462185041B5.png

Well fuck me sideways, that was the most fun run I've had on this game yet.  Still don't really like Watcher, though!  But shit, when I had almost endless card draw, silly amounts of energy, and the ability to push my luck in Wrath with skipping turns and doubling my block (unfortunately had to lose Entrench in the 'falling' ? room right before the last boss, boo!) and using cards like Streamline on double damage, I was an unstoppable killing machine.  Amazing scenes all round.  So many fights ending without enemies getting to even do anything.  So many turns went pretty much perfectly, I was grinning the whole time.  Even the Pandora's box result was awesome! Wish I'd recorded it.  :D

251402380_bestwatcherrunever.jpg.d3bbe1c3eb9e6e333715cd9967cf284b.jpg

Also I reeeeeally appreciate that I discovered the 'daily debate' threads on Reddit for every single card in this game.  Very helpful for a noob like me, to read various people list out pros/cons of cards in a single place.  Like I almost didn't take Conclude!  It made multi-mob fights an absolute breeze. 

I hadn't realised how much fun the Daily Climb is.
Today's is The Silent, but you get purple cards, so you can mix in Watcher stances.

Damn yous for getting me into playing this again last week! My time has very much been eaten...