Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Nespresso

Very excited that Mega Crit's Twitter officially states they're working on their next game. Guess the various ports and the main branch are all in a good place at last. Can't wait to see what they do next. 

• 2 weeks later...

I return to Slay the Spire now and then, and this time made it my mission to finally beat the game (Ascension 0) with the Watcher. But I can't! I just came close, and died at the stage 3 boss. I've only even made it to the stage 3 boss a few times.

I have been getting to grips with the playstyle and card synergies of Watcher and sort of know what I'm going for now in different strategies to employ. But that usually goes out the window when I can't generate enough block on a turn against a big boy, or like this run, face up against the time lord and his 12 turn limit which stopped my hand recyling strategy dead.

I'm not really looking for any specific synergies as that's half the fun to figure out, but any general pointers for Watcher would be appreciated, or maybe noob mistakes I could be making. I've got down tactics like flicking between modes, synergies with Scry, recycling 0 cost cards, Divinity based builds and Retaining buffs (not all in the same decks of course). 

I've never been the best at this game, Ascension 1 is my level, I find it hard to think outside of the hand and to my deck as a whole. I guess I'm wondering if I'm the only one who really struggles with Watcher compared to the other 'heroes'. I think mechanically the Watcher is great design, just tough!

I never really got to grips with a Scry build. My most successful Watcher builds were either divinity/Retain builds, or aggressively stance-switching to pump energy. My usual strategy is to build a deck with a lot of cards that switch stance as well as attack/defend.

I've also won with an Alpha deck with a lot of block! The Watcher is now my favourite character to play.

Yeah I just use Scry combos as a supplement when I use them.

Got my first victory today against the stage 3 boss but died in turn 2 against the heart. How the hell are you supposed to kill it? I take it you need an amazing deck? Or does damaging it in multiple runs eventually make it easier to take down? Next time I'll not bother with the keys just so I can get a victory on the board.

I succeeded thanks to a deck which cycled the modes and had plenty of card draw when changing to Wrath. I also had the relic that gives you an extra energy when coming out of Calm. I had the Retain combos which let me hold onto upgraded Retain attacks and blocks to save them for when I could maximise their output. So I could play a ton of cards per turn.

• 2 months later...

Finally 3 Down, just the Watcher to go...

20220914142019_1.thumb.jpg.5e610c580ea2f5c31deba2e630f56334.jpg

20220914142048_1.thumb.jpg.ea56628a9f2d6a6af8be6bc0d242e235.jpg

Got Apotheosis at the very beginning and never looked back. Touch and go against the heart, but luckily got Creative AI from Enchiridion and got more Biased Cognitions and Defragments. By the end each Ice orb was giving me 25+ health, which was nice.

Feels like I've been on The Defect forever though. Ironclad was hard, Silent was harder, but Defect was something else! Just need to do all the Ascensions with Watcher and I'll have done everything this game asks for.

• 4 weeks later...

Jorbs started a new series where he's starting from a new save as is planning on beating the game with every class at every ascension level.

I've watched them all so far, I hope he keeps it up. It is as instructive as always with the slight drawback that the game is far too easy for him at the low levels and there's a lot he now takes for granted and isn't really fully explaining. But he does seem to be focusing on and breaking down specific enemies in each run, which is pretty cool.

It's got me back into the game a bit. I only really made it to A3-6 on each class and kind of drifted away from the game last time, so want to try and improve on that a little. I'd forgotten how much there is to keep track of every turn. My recent Watcher runs are basically me taking 3 hours to die to a single dumb mistake (ie forgetting to check that I'm definitely drawing a way to exit wrath next turn and if I don't then I probably die to Time Eater). Amazing game though, nice to be playing it again.

• 4 weeks later...

Once I was done with A20, I just started playing for fun. Back down to A1 (extra elites) and just tried to be super powerful all the time.

I also did a challenge with Ironclad where I tried to beat the game with as few cards as possible. I got really, really addicted again. If you are keen, try going for 10 cards first. It really changes the way you play the game. Then go for 9, 8, 7 etc…. Once you are down to 5, it completely changes the way you play the game.

I managed to get the 1 card win. I spent lots of time just figuring out how to get a 0 card win, and I am convinced it is possible, without mods, but you need so much luck that it wont be a lot of fun getting there.

The board game is primarily designed with co op in mind. You can play it solo but it’s intended to be played with friends. I have played literally thousands of hours of the video game but don’t think it makes the board game redundant at all. I’m excited for it. :) 

Myself and my fellow spire nerd friends have been waiting for this kickstarter to go live for almost two years. They put it up on the Contention games site very early and it’s been on “coming soon” for what feels like forever. I thought it might have been quietly abandoned for a while, but then found that the guys behind it have been updating via an extremely long AMA thread on boardgamegeek the whole time. 

It is quite pricey, but that’s niche board games for you I suppose. Going to split it with some pals to bring it down a bit. Now just have to wait another year and a bit for the actual game to arrive.