Slay the Spire - Roguelike Card-em-up

Nespresso

I hadn't got into other deck builders or card games before this game and it has claimed close to 800 hours of my life, so I'd still thoroughly recommend giving it a bash even if those games aren't usually your thing.

Yeah the daily challenges are more of a high score challenge as it gets everyone playing the same seed with just one attempt to see who can be the most optimal. There are loads of little variables and bonuses (perfecting bosses, getting more than four of the same card etc) that help with this. 

They can still be very useful to learn the game too, as they often throw lots of relics or powerful cards at you and you’ll see synergies develop that you can look out for on your regular runs. 

If my enjoyment carries on like it is so far, then it will slot in just below Tetris99 as my GotY.

So good. 

My last normal mode run saw me make it past the Act II boss and a few levels into Act III. Problem was I built to beat Act II and wasn’t balanced enough for the next act. Lacked cards that added strength, despite having cards that would scale brilliantly with strength. 

It depends how difficult your deck is to use and how many galaxy-brain decisions you have to make, but in general your runs will get a lot shorter once you know what everything does. You'll know what cards you're looking for in shops, you'll already have your upgrades in mind, some card reward screens will be an immediate reject as none of the cards will be beneficial etc. You'll also have a broad gameplan in mind for many of the fights and bosses and be quicker at planning your route as well.

My last three wins were on the hardest Ascension mode (Ascension adds difficulty modifiers to the game that stack each time you beat it until there are 20 of them applied) and they were all under an hour. The last one here was 49 minutes:

A20.jpg

Please note the excellent relic synergy. Ectoplasm (Extra energy but you cannot gain gold for the rest of the run) then IMMEDIATELY pick up Old Coin (Gives you 300 gold). Heartbreaking.

Currently climbing the Ascension levels with the other two characters. Did 9 and 10 with Ironclad this week, Defect is only up to 7. Also still trying and failing to get an Ascension 20 Heart kill with The Silent. It's so difficult but it will happen. Still blows my mind that Jorbs wins on A20 against The Heart about 40% of the time.

So I’ve played the game about 100 hours on PC at the moment, having just picked up the switch version and while I’m still totally in love with the game, my opinion on certain elements has changed a bit. My progress is thus: Ironclad - A11, Silent - A10, Defect - A6

Firstly, the characters. For the first 80 hours or so, the Silent was by far my fave. I’ve spoken to quite a few friends with CCG/LCG deck building backgrounds and the consensus is that Silent rewards you for making sensible/non-risky plays, and so a lot of similar minded players gravitate to her. Also, there are a tonne of subtle ways you can lose value through card bloat when playing as her, so it feels rewarding to master the character by maintaining a clean, effective deck. As time’s gone on though, I find myself playing Ironclad for the sake of simplicity in wanting a quick run with minimal fuss. Cards like well-laid plans, tools of the trade, and all the cards that ask you discard cards, on top of potentially doing poison and damage maths each turn can really fatigue you (well, me) by the end of a Silent run. Just gimme demon form, headbutt and heavy blade and I will be happy the most complex thing I had to do is maybe wait out a fight to ensure I get feed off. 

I’m actually really warming to the Defect now. I largely ignored the character for a while, thinking that focus/ice orbs/incubate a one shot dark orb was the only viable strategy, but it’s really not the case. A few successful low focus runs have really opened my eyes to the possibilities, and now I’m having a great time. 

So, the only thing that’s actually starting to wear me down about the game is the ascension stuff. I like that each ascension teaches you a little bit more about refining your deck and gives you a reason to keep coming back for more, but honestly I’m so excited for the A20 heart end game that I’m starting to resent the number of hoops I’m having to jump through to get there. Especially as I’m now dividing my attention between PC and switch (entirely my own fault, I know!) But yeah, in order to get there faster I’ve stopped going for heart kills, which feels a little, IDK, not in the spirit of the game, to me?

Maybe I just need to get faster like JLM! I’ve never had a game quicker than 1hr 15 with the Silent I think!

So I've done one run so far. Am I correct in understanding that you don't get any enhancements / upgrades each time you play? It's more about learning the mechanics of the game and how to deal out the best possible damage with each run?

Yeah it’s a fresh start every run, it’s just you as the player who levels up. :) 

You do unlock cards and relics for a bit though as they’re not all available when you first start a new save. 

I’ve followed the same path as you Imp. Played soooo much Silent that Ironclad is a nice palate cleanser. I lean towards exhaust decks rather than strength builds if I get the chance. Corruption is so absurdly powerful. What is actually viable changes so much as the Ascension difficulty builds though, especially if you do go for the heart. I don’t think skipping the heart to unlock the Ascension levels is a cop out though, it’s still a win, but once you get to 20 I think for completism you need at least one win with the heart as well. 

4 hours ago, JLM said:

Yeah it’s a fresh start every run, it’s just you as the player who levels up. :) 

You do unlock cards and relics for a bit though as they’re not all available when you first start a new save. 

I’ve followed the same path as you Imp. Played soooo much Silent that Ironclad is a nice palate cleanser. I lean towards exhaust decks rather than strength builds if I get the chance. Corruption is so absurdly powerful. What is actually viable changes so much as the Ascension difficulty builds though, especially if you do go for the heart. I don’t think skipping the heart to unlock the Ascension levels is a cop out though, it’s still a win, but once you get to 20 I think for completism you need at least one win with the heart as well. 

Yeah, I'll take corruption if I've got a few good exhaust cards, which I usually do, but remember one bad build where I ran out of block before I could finish an act 3 boss which has made me a little more hesitant since! 

I agree about deck viability - I've definitely refined my strategies a lot along the way and do think it's a really smart way of teaching those lessons, but I just get a bit impatient when I think I've probably got at least 20 hours to go with each character before I get to the "real" STS, as it were. :|

And yes, once I get to A20 it's gonna be heart attempts every attempt!

I’ve been playing this almost the entire day. It’s like crack. Sadly, I’ve hardly enjoyed any of it. I did get slightly giddy with excitement when I had one build with shit loads of strength cards and two attack cards that multiplied massively from strength meaning I could do over 200 damage after a few turns. But then the game threw an enemy that wiped me out in the few turns before I could get there and that was it: fun’s over.

There just seems to be too much randomness for my choices to mean anything. How are you supposed to know if it’s a good idea to get this card or that relic if you have no idea if you’re going to get something that complements it later on?

Most deck builders have limited, knowable odds that play out in a short time period. So your choices are based on information that you have and the consequences are played out fairly shortly.

But with this, there’s stuff that I’ve literally only seen once and you may only find out if it was a bad choice to pick/ignore it hours after you made the decision.

And that’s before I get into the pointless waste of time that is starting from the beginning each time. The first floor isn’t even remotely challenging. It’s sole purpose is to allow you to get stuff and start to build a deck. So why not just skip the half hour or so and give you some basic deck customisation right from the start? Each floor you conquer unlocks more deck building options that allow you to skip the levels you’ve already passed. That’d also help reduce the wasted runs where the stuff you get is just rubbish and you’ve ended up wasting half an hour through bad luck.

Sorry, but I think this is almost a big a disappointment as Wargroove.

I think a big mistake a lot of new players to STS make is they approach the game with the constructed card game mind set. So they go in looking for a "build". But that doesn't work in STS because like you said how are you supposed to know what complements something later on. So instead of thinking of collecting cards to put together a build, I instead think of taking cards to answer the questions the game poses to you off a check list. Do you have enough early game damage? Do you have enough group damage? Do you have scaling? Do you have mitigation? Do you have card draw? And so on.

When you approach it that way and stop thinking about your STS deck as a perfect constructed deck like you'd get in Magic or Hearthstone and start thinking about STS as a jumble of cards with some isolated synergies sure, but mostly just a bunch of cards that together answer all the questions the game throws at you. That's when the game starts to click.

7 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

There just seems to be too much randomness for my choices to mean anything. How are you supposed to know if it’s a good idea to get this card or that relic if you have no idea if you’re going to get something that complements it later on?

JLM has covered all of this in greater detail, but I just thought I'd add that flexibility really is key to any deck you build, and a good starting rule might be to only take a card if it serves your deck/relics as that moment, even if it means turning down your favourites as often as not. 

But then the game threw an enemy that wiped me out in the few turns before I could get there and that was it: fun’s over

This is a bummer, but if you can't get your good cards out before you die, you're lacking mitigation, card draw, or energy. Balancing these elements of your deck/build is easier said than done, especially as mentioned above, your needs will change during each act of the game.

And that’s before I get into the pointless waste of time that is starting from the beginning each time. The first floor isn’t even remotely challenging. It’s sole purpose is to allow you to get stuff and start to build a deck. So why not just skip the half hour or so and give you some basic deck customisation right from the start? Each floor you conquer unlocks more deck building options that allow you to skip the levels you’ve already passed. That’d also help reduce the wasted runs where the stuff you get is just rubbish and you’ve ended up wasting half an hour through bad luck.

Sure, the beginning might seem easy to you now, but wait till you get to the harder difficulties... If you're finding it too easy, maybe try taking on as many elites as you can in order to get an extra relic or two to set you up for the second act. :)

At the moment I'm still learning mostly... I don't mind taking a loss in Act 2. Playing as the Ironclad. I can see myself getting better at a pretty consistent rate though. The tips in this thread are very helpful -so glad I let this thread convince me to buy! 

There are a couple on switch at the moment, but nothing that will ruin the experience. Just a bit of light hitching while loading certain enemy animations, nothing that impacts gameplay. The devs have said a performance-improving patch will be out very soon, anyway. I think switch is the way. (Speaking as someone who also plays on PC)

EDIT: I should add, I think mouse (optionally with keyboard) is the best control overall, but the portability of the switch makes it the better controller-based experience.

Also, yes, there are a couple of crash bugs at the moment - I've never lost progress though, so I didn't realise some were having to replay fights. Fingers crossed the patch fixes that soon. 

40 minutes ago, MattKB said:

This sounds really good but I can't decide if I want to get it on Switch or PS4. Given the type of game presumably, there are no performance issues?

Switch or laptop. It’s ideal watching the cricket gaming.

Started a run today that was going awfully. But have found myself with cards that are boosting strength so well. 

Got the eye relic that randomises energy costs, but is working out well enough so far. 

Had and to leave the run for a bit to do bits out the house. Looking forward to getting back to that one 

I've had a number of crash bugs, but they don't seem to be consistent - it'll work perfectly the second time around after a reload.

Got my first non-Daily win today after a couple of deaths at the final boss. Was using the Defect - really enjoyed the change of pace from the combat focus, and (at least in this run) there was a heavy focus on generating enormous amounts of block and applying tons of powers before finishing with cards that key off how many orbs you've channeled of a particular type. Wound up starting some turns with 11 energy.

The Silent and Defect are the two most interesting characters so far - they feel really varied, whereas the Ironclad feels very straightforward and honest - you're playing a strength deck or a block deck whereas the others feel like they have more weird shit going on. I also find that the Ironclad starts getting outclassed more quickly as you get on in the game, but it's probably me making poor deckbuilding choices. Quite possible that I need to take fewer cards - in most deckbuilding games your priority is often about improving your deck with the addition of a ton more cards and trashing the starter stuff, whereas this feels like streamlining the deck is more important given there are limited opportunities to trash, instead with the focus on upgrading.

Dead good this.

Wait til you see Dead Branch + Corruption with Ironclad, you will lose all respect for him as an honest fighter. :D 

Defect is quite the master of shenanigans though yeah. There is often a tipping point in the run with him where you realise you've gone full Defect and things have got very silly indeed. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the fourth character. 

Just had my first win with each character one after the other on the Switch version.

Classic strength scaling (Demon Form + Spot Weakness), Paper Frog (vulnerable enemies take 75% more damage) and 5 energy (Velvet Choker isn't as bad with him) with the Ironclad:

Got the Snecko Skull early with the Silent and ended up with Envenom+ and 2 copies of A Thousand Cuts, so I was doing 4 damage with every card played, 4 poison on every turn and 2 poison with every attack in another 5 energy run:

Then this Defect turned into an absolute beast: did the arena challenge in Act 3 and picked up a late Ice Cream Cone as one of the 3 relics, and had 2 copies of Double Energy so I could play each hand forever, and had lots of upgraded orb summoning cards and 2 copies of Compile Driver and an All For One, so I had insane card draw. Not to mention getting the doll which gives you +1 Strength for every curse you carry then getting the 3 relics and 3 curses prize in Act 2:

I think it is technically is an unlock card, but there is a chance you'll be able to get it even if you haven't unlocked it yet. I was looking at my run history and I actually got it on my very first run (lucky bastard I am).

Ironclad's unlocks:

1stHeavy Blade, Spot Weakness, Limit Break

2ndOmamori, Prayer Wheel, Shovel

3rdWild Strike, Evolve, Immolate

4thHavoc, Sentinel, Exhume

5thBlue Candle, Dead Branch, Singing Bowl

Demon Form doesn't need  to be unlocked but it is a rare card so it's possible you just haven't had it pop up yet.

Fair enough. Seeing @Zael videos before, I have been eager to add it (not building around getting it though, that'd be dumb). My last run above ended in abject failure in the 3rd act, after making mistakes. I also think I am too scared to just say 'no' to card pickups. 

I keep getting the card that deals bonus damage for each 'Strike' card you have, which means i am wary or getting rid of them. Yet I know I need to ditch some cards, as having 40+ in the deck measn you a hoping for cards to come in your hand at the right tine, rather than strategising around it. 

Very satisfying session on this today! Managed to go up another ascension level with both Ironclad and Defect. I seem to be stagnating with Silent at A10 though. I think I might have to start forcing myself to attempt 3 elites or bust.