Actually their reasoning is quite okay given the lack of hard data, e.g. based on glassdor salaries for D3T coders. If anything their estimates of development cost are at the lower end of the spectrum at around half a million US dollars (they acknowledge that). 

It was in development for about as long as Shenmue III has been, which won't help its break-even point. Though you'd think it will eventually at least break-even as it is available on multiple systems and should have a long tail, and should receive a boost when the sequel finally gets released.

It also ironically mirrors what happened with the original versions, the budget of those include the cost of developing versions that never got a commercial release :P

So it's probably lucky in some ways they decided to cancel the full remake version they were originally working on as that would have struggled even more to pay back its cost of development.

11 minutes ago, mushashi said:

It was in development for about as long as Shenmue III has been, which won't help its break-even point. Though you'd think it will eventually at least break-even as it is available on multiple systems and should have a long tail, and should receive a boost when the sequel finally gets released.

And when they release it on the Switch.

5 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

Wait, has this been confirmed? Because if so, that would be super!

Not confirmed, wishful thinking. I have it on the PS4 but would buy it on the Switch in an instant.

• 3 weeks later...

Shenmue II complete. Apart from repeatedly failing just about every QTE, especially those where it quickly showed you all the button presses first, and how inconsient the retry points were with some of the bosses I enjoyed it a lot. It still looks great, the soundtrack is still amazing and uniquely for an open world game it actually felt lived in.  But I'm now questioning whether I ever finished it on the Dreamcast because whereas every other part of the game felt familiar the epilogue felt completely new to me. 

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

There’s an epilogue?

It's five hours of Ryo driving around the docks in a forklift, looking for sailors to play Lucky Hit with.

I picked this up for a tenner last week and I'm looking forward to finally playing Shenmue 1 again. S2 is one of my favourite games ever and I've played through it several times, but I only played S1 when it came out and found it a bit dull.

1 minute ago, ryodi said:

Ive always thought of the last disk of Shenmue II as the epilogue even if we are finally getting Shenmue 3 this year. 

The walking bit? I never considered that an epilogue before.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I remember now how far I got in this.  Fucking forklift truck driving.  How many days do you have to do it for before something happens?!  Anything that stops this pain!

You may want to google this. You only do about 5 days but theres a bug (at least in the originals) where the count doesnt increase if you leave the following cut scene the wrong way.

8 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I'm out of it now thank God. Dont think it was bugged out but 5 days of that shit was pushing it.

When you get to book stack moving in the sequel you'll pine for the forklift.

On 22/08/2018 at 20:30, Haribokart said:

Played both games at release - my father (knowing how immersive the game was) bought me Shenmue to distract me during my parents divorce. Shenmue 2 was the game that I played to distract myself when I first moved out on my own as a result of the aforementioned divorce. Dad died earlier this year and I feel that replaying these is going to be a little emotional for me, especially that first cutscene. Hopefully when I get paid next month I'll be able to grab a copy of this, concerning that lots of people are reporting it selling out.

While I cannot wait to see them run in a higher resolution and with faster loading times, I mostly cannot wait to play these games again full stop and just get... distracted from everything and immersed in Ryo's life once again. They feel like a real memory to me. I stream on Twitch, most of my viewers are about the same age as the games and have probably not heard of the Dreamcast, let alone Shenmue. Cannot wait to introduce them to the series and hopefully make them fans who spread the word themselves.

Next year - Shenmue 3. The only kickstarter I have ever backed. What a joy to have Shenmue back in the public eye!

Over a year on and I still haven’t played this somehow. Does anybody have a PS4 copy they are looking to sell or know of any good deals? Seems like it’s full price everywhere still.

7 hours ago, deKay said:

When you get to book stack moving in the sequel you'll pine for the forklift.

:huh: I have actually played some of S2 and now I remember that bit. :facepalm:

Hopefully I should get S1 out the way this weekend.  I think we must have been a lot less forgiving 20 years ago...

6 hours ago, Haribokart said:

Over a year on and I still haven’t played this somehow. Does anybody have a PS4 copy they are looking to sell or know of any good deals? Seems like it’s full price everywhere still.

Also on gamepass if you have an Xbox.