14 hours ago, ryodi said:

I've played through Shenmue II twice and only found out about one minigame because it's on the soundtrack

Hide contents

This is complete madness! Why am I only hearing about this now?! :lol:

• 6 months later...

I'm currently playing through shenmue 2 and really struggling with the qte where you have to kick the door down for some reason my eyes arent quick enough to see what the input is,anyone out there know what it is off the top of their head ? 

• Empathy 1
4 hours ago, kittygotwet said:

I'm currently playing through shenmue 2 and really struggling with the qte where you have to kick the door down for some reason my eyes arent quick enough to see what the input is,anyone out there know what it is off the top of their head ? 

This also took me ages playing the remaster last year. Managed it eventually. I don’t remember the QTE’s being so unforgiving on the Dreamcast, but I wasn’t an auld basturt back then.

• Upvote 1

I have no actual evidence to back it up, but I felt the QTEs were noticably more difficult on PS4 than on Dreamcast 20 years ago.  I was 27 when Shenmue came out, and couldn't be sure whether there was a difference between the old and new versions, or whether I have become a shambling old man in the interim.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I think the way the multi-step QTEs in Shenmue II are displayed on the PS4 is very confusing: it’s much harder to work out what you need to press, though I don’t think the timings are any tighter. I ended up watching one QTE over and over on YouTube until I worked out exactly what it was asking me to press. After I’d done that I’d obviously adapted because I was OK from then on. 

• Upvote 1

I'm playing II at the moment having gone through the first again over Christmas and no doubt have much QTE fun to look forward to given I'm using a PS4 controller via DS4Windows which gives you Xbox 360 button prompts.

Add in Nintendo consoles and you have three different positions for your muscle memory to recall where 'X' is.

17 hours ago, dumpster said:

I have no actual evidence to back it up, but I felt the QTEs were noticably more difficult on PS4 than on Dreamcast 20 years ago.  I was 27 when Shenmue came out, and couldn't be sure whether there was a difference between the old and new versions, or whether I have become a shambling old man in the interim.

Could it be LCD lag? I’ve noticed a lot of stuff being harder on newer screens. It might only be a tiny difference but it makes a difference.

I’ve been thinking of going back to Shenmue now I’ve got some time. I’ve had 3 since release (backed the Kickstarter) but didn’t want to play it until I’d gone through 1 and 2 again. Now seems the perfect time but I can’t muster the energy to even switch on the PS4 right now. Someone please convince me it’s worth it!

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’ve been thinking of going back to Shenmue now I’ve got some time. I’ve had 3 since release (backed the Kickstarter) but didn’t want to play it until I’d gone through 1 and 2 again. Now seems the perfect time but I can’t muster the energy to even switch on the PS4 right now. Someone please convince me it’s worth it!

I’m in the same boat, kinda stalled half-way through Shenmue 2 and am denying myself starting 3 as a result. 

Thing is I keep finding reasons not to play - of the new game variety! I really should get back to it. 

• 1 month later...

I reckon the QTE's are much harder – you have to process the button much more than on DC I think, where the big coloured buttons were perhaps easier to visually distinguish very quickly than X O □ ∆

I also felt the fighting input was less responsive somehow (never helped by Sony's d-pads..)

• 2 months later...