IGNORED

Shenmue 1&2

The Mighty Ash

On 17/04/2018 at 11:13, Popo said:

Couldn’t you go home and sleep to progress the clock in Shenmue? I think I’m remembering that correctly. 

I know it’s not quite the same thing as being able to skip forward in a more convenient way, but to be honest I don’t think I would have ever bothered to practice my kung fu if it had been. I actually hated that the fighting system was based on Virtua Fighter, a game I never got on with - my timing was appalling and Ryo looked like he was having a seizure most of the time. 

Better than the QTEs though!

Whaaa, the fighting was such an awesome part of it! Learning new moves. Scrolls!

50 man battle!

I do love me some Virtua Fighter though to be fair.

4 minutes ago, joemul said:

I can't believe this isn't coming onto Switch. It would've been PERFECT.

Well it might do... I wouldn't rule it out! Guess we'll have to see how well it does on the other platforms...

9 minutes ago, joemul said:

I can't believe this isn't coming onto Switch. It would've been PERFECT.

Tell me about it. It comes out on the day I go on holiday. Would've been a perfect way to while away the hours.

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Anyone know if this will be X-Play on Xbox? Hoping so - be good to buy on  PC and have the option to play on the Xbox at some point...

Since it's up for pre-order on Steam, I'm guessing no it isn't cross-play. Or else it would be Windows Store exclusive I thought.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Since it's up for pre-order on Steam, I'm guessing no it isn't cross-play. Or else it would be Windows Store exclusive I thought.

Cuphead is cross play is it not? And that's on Steam.

(EDIT: Yes, I know the Steam version isn't cross play/buy/whatever)

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Sorry, I meant cross-buy of course. Unless they added some kind of multiplayer mode to Shenmue :D

I have no idea about Cuphead, I was just under the impression that x-buy games were at the very least timed exclusive to the Windows Store. I haven't looked into it because I liked the sound  of the whole x-buy idea until I realized it meant dealing with the Windows Store.

Anyway, I'm in for the Xbox version regardless so I'll find out soon enough! Is it X-Enhanced?? 4k sailormen :omg:

16 minutes ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

will the graphics engine be updated for modern consoles and take advantage of extra power ?

They aren't overhauling it, if that's what you mean. It'll be HD and widescreen. It'd be nice if the textures were at a higher quality I suppose, though I never really think res'd up older games actually look any better than they did originally. It just highlights the blockiness.

I do think they've added some bloom and made some very minor lighting tweaks, I don't remember Shenmue looking quite so much like Days of our Lives.

Shenmue II in English though... spew! :wacko: 

8 hours ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

will the graphics engine be updated for modern consoles and take advantage of extra power ?

From the webpage:

The best Shenmue experience:

- Updated user interface

- Choice of modern or classic controls

- Japanese audio available for the first time for a global audience

- Fully scalable screen resolutions

16 hours ago, deKay said:

Yes this is what is a bit confusing! :) I bought Cuphead on the Xbox and then could play on PC... and then it became available on Steam... what I'm guessing is that MS had an exlusivity period on the Xbox/Windows store and then allowed for its release onto Steam. MS really need to sort this stuff out.. confusing....

For technical reasons we started with the Xbox source code and data. This has the advantage of some additional features missing from the Dreamcast version:

Snapshots system

Filters

Texture mip-maps to improve anti-aliasing

As some community members will know, the Xbox does have some graphical differences to the DC version which will also be present in our version.

Graphical differences? Graphical bullshit more like - lazy missing textures everywhere. Boo Sega Booooooo!

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/s2xboxvsdreamcast.html

9 hours ago, Mars said:

What an obscure set of changes... why on earth would they do that?!

Many are glass related - they couldn't do transparency using that engine?

In case anyone missed it. The game is 30fps on all platforms and by the same guys that did the Megadrive Classics Collection.

The originals combined were about 6Gb. Steam says the PC version is 30.

As for the transparencies, there were probably issues going from the Dreamcast's hardware pixel fragment sorting to the traditional DirectX method. Overlapping transparencies are hard for PC's.

So many older games -- from generations where weird bespoke hardware was en vogue -- have loads of missing effects when ported to newer systems. Even stuff like the Metal Gear Solid games ported to their HD collections. A litany of missing effects and the likes. 

Videogames have such a major archiving problem.