The Peripheral

JohnC

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

So is this getting released weekly? It sounds promising and right up my alley but I got burnt by Nolan and Joy with the way Westworld went. Worth getting a Prime sub for or wait and see? 

Sort of difficult to tell yet - it's set up a few things which have the potential to either be quite interesting, or stretched out so thinly over twenty-something episodes that they become massive irritations.

It looks good, the performances are all solid and the two episodes so far have moved at a pretty good pace so I'm tentatively looking forward to more of it.

A nice detail in episode 2: when Pickett’s in the virtual Cuban nightclub, they use some kind of weird filter on people’s faces, so they look highly realistic, but unnervingly smooth and stylised. Exactly like you’d expect a VR environment ten years in the future to look. 

1 minute ago, K said:

A nice detail in episode 2: when Pickett’s in the virtual Cuban nightclub, they use some kind of weird filter on people’s faces, so they look highly realistic, but unnervingly smooth and stylised. Exactly like you’d expect a VR environment ten years in the future to look. 

Yeah, that was a really great touch. Like the very last vestiges of the uncanny valley.

Indeed, we commented on that while watching it last night too. There's lots I really like about this so far and very little that bothers me. If they stick reasonably closely to the book then we don't have to worry so much about the show creators failing to stick a conclusion on it as well. Not that this is guaranteed, granted.

This is shaping up pretty well, the departures from the book so far

Spoiler

No patchers, Aelita not being a self-flaying performance artist, a stolen data mcguffin rather than a frankly unconvincing eye-witness motivation 

make sense - that stuff would be too bizarre to make sense of in this medium.

I'm not entirely sure how

Spoiler

being good at videogames translates to being an actual martial arts badass when given one-to-one telepresent control of a body

but the flattery of that is letting me not object too hard.

I noticed that Nolan and Joy are also helming the new Fallout series which raised alarm bells about them running two shows at once, but on further inspection they are executive producers on both the Peripheral and Fallout, and have a contract with Amazon to create and write another show. So because exec producers can be quite hands off maybe there's no need to worry, we know they are good at the high concept stuff and directing.

I stopped reading Gibson a while ago for one reason or another and had no idea until recently that this was based on his stuff. 

Watched ep1 last night and ep2 tonight and after I managed to get my head around it, definitely seems promising. Really enjoyed so far but I think I'll prob wait until the season is done to see if it's worth continuing. 

We caught up on all three episodes over the weekend and it’s really good so far. 

Curious to know how the disintegration of motorbikes and/or floors works. I’m sure there’s lots more to the central mystery they haven’t revealed yet. 

On 23/10/2022 at 23:04, K said:

They missed an amazing chance to give them all Zuckerburg's Metaface. Hopefully they'll release a director's cut and make it happen.

Watched the first 3 episodes and I quite like it. The tech as you'd expect is really cool and they've done a great job incorporating it into a very realistic feeling near-future.  Great visual effects as well. The underlying mystery and conceit is nice. I find the pacing a bit lagging though and a lot of the characters, aside from the protagonist and her brother, cold. I also don't like the very generic novel-feeling small town bad guy angle, its straight out of Stephen King, and the baddies in this in general aren't compelling. There's also some pretty heavy handed exposition where characters say stuff like 'hey, remember how I took you in and then this happened and then this happened?'. Still, I'm along for the ride and interested to see where it goes, like Gibson's other work its the imagination of the tech and mysteries that are the driving force here. The fights are also cool and the settings are great.

My experience with Gibson is generally, "wait, what happened at the end there ??" 

But I do still love Neromancer, so he sort of gets a pass. This feels on the strength of one episode like peak Gibson. I fully expect to have to watch the last episode at least twice to understand the ending.

I know it’s just a bit of fun and have been enjoying this etc. but am I missing something on the time travel or is it just not very well thought out? In the latest episode Moretz is in her peripheral in the future but needs to nip back to her time line urgently and says, “I’ll be back in an hour.” 🤨

41 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Have they explained what a

Hide contents

“Stump” is?

is it some sort of branching timeline, or something else? Or is it yet to be revealed?

Yep. Exactly that.

Spoiler

The one created  at the point of the first interaction. Although isn't it stub?

3 hours ago, El Geet said:

I know it’s just a bit of fun and have been enjoying this etc. but am I missing something on the time travel or is it just not very well thought out? In the latest episode Moretz is in her peripheral in the future but needs to nip back to her time line urgently and says, “I’ll be back in an hour.” 🤨

It’s not time travel like that - the world of future London is not the same world as Flynn’s Yeehaw County or wherever it is, because of the contact being made. So these stubs exist concurrently with the future world that spawned them.

At least I think so, I never really understood it when I read it, although this show is a very different story.

Yeah that's how its explained in the show at least.

Today's episode:

Spoiler

I love the concept being revealed of creating new stubs to just use as testing grounds for anything in your own reality. What a devious and obvious in retrospect sci-fi idea, that I've not seen explored in multiple timeline stories before. I've seen exploration of how you treat alternate timeline versions of yourself or doom other timelines due to your own decisions, but creating them just to test shit is a diabolical idea.

The only problem I have with it (unless they explain), is that when creating new stubs you'd create the danger that eventually those stubs might also be able to create tech that can interact with your own 'origin' timeline. I guess that whether or not the separate timelines run concurrently or staggered doesn't really matter seeing as the quantum tech can communicate across time. So every new stub created is a potential liability unless there's a way to delete them or cause some kind of apocalypse in a similar vein to Lev killing off his alternate selves. If this actually happens in the books don't tell me please, but if not covered it is a bit of a plothole.

Looking forward to seeing more characters from the camper van crew get into mischief in the future. I was a bit puzzled why the fact Conner started wrecking shit wasn't mentioned to Flynn. At the moment the future London crew really haven't shared much about their intentions, presumably they need the data or whatever that Flynn downloaded in the R.I. and that's why they're putting up with her shit. I can't really see any logic in them agreeing to get hold of multiple polt bodies though, especially once the camper crew start getting them destroyed.

I'm curious as to how hard it is to create the effects for this show. The androids with the see-through heads are in loads of scenes and it seems like a nightmare that their heads would all have to be CGI'd all the time. I'm assuming the actors wear helmets with greenscreen material webbed over the head and they just CGI the inbetweeny bits using AI, or something.