The Peripheral

JohnC

23 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Yeah that's how its explained in the show at least.

Today's episode:

Reveal hidden contents

I love the concept being revealed of creating new stubs to just use as testing grounds for anything in your own reality. What a devious and obvious in retrospect sci-fi idea, that I've not seen explored in multiple timeline stories before. I've seen exploration of how you treat alternate timeline versions of yourself or doom other timelines due to your own decisions, but creating them just to test shit is a diabolical idea.

The only problem I have with it (unless they explain), is that when creating new stubs you'd create the danger that eventually those stubs might also be able to create tech that can interact with your own 'origin' timeline. I guess that whether or not the separate timelines run concurrently or staggered doesn't really matter seeing as the quantum tech can communicate across time. So every new stub created is a potential liability unless there's a way to delete them or cause some kind of apocalypse in a similar vein to Lev killing off his alternate selves. If this actually happens in the books don't tell me please, but if not covered it is a bit of a plothole.

Looking forward to seeing more characters from the camper van crew get into mischief in the future. I was a bit puzzled why the fact Conner started wrecking shit wasn't mentioned to Flynn. At the moment the future London crew really haven't shared much about their intentions, presumably they need the data or whatever that Flynn downloaded in the R.I. and that's why they're putting up with her shit. I can't really see any logic in them agreeing to get hold of multiple polt bodies though, especially once the camper crew start getting them destroyed.

I'm curious as to how hard it is to create the effects for this show. The androids with the see-through heads are in loads of scenes and it seems like a nightmare that their heads would all have to be CGI'd all the time. I'm assuming the actors wear helmets with greenscreen material webbed over the head and they just CGI the inbetweeny bits using AI, or something. 

Spoiler

There's no risk of timeline wars, past events cannot be changed. The far-future London people aren't changing their own timeline by messing around in near-future Hicksville, the timelines diverge when contact is made. If near-future Hicksville people manage to contact their past it's the same deal: a new timeline is created independent of them and London.

The time-travel here is functionally identical to accessing an extremely detailed real-time simulation of the past. If a real person tells a simulated person how to simulate a person, there's no danger of that simulated simulation popping out into the real.

1 hour ago, ryanm said:
  Hide contents

There's no risk of timeline wars, past events cannot be changed. The far-future London people aren't changing their own timeline by messing around in near-future Hicksville, the timelines diverge when contact is made. If near-future Hicksville people manage to contact their past it's the same deal: a new timeline is created independent of them and London.

The time-travel here is functionally identical to accessing an extremely detailed real-time simulation of the past. If a real person tells a simulated person how to simulate a person, there's no danger of that simulated simulation popping out into the real.

Spoiler

I think I get you. Yeah I understood that London wasn't messing with their own timeline, but I'd not made the leap that they couldn't be interfered with/communicated with by other stubs. I guess if that happened (for example Hicksville eventually getting the tech themselves to send quantum data independantly), then a new stub would be formed seperate to the London we know. Ah, gotta love multiverse chats. An incredibly complicated flowchart always helps too :P

In fact, future twist conjecture:

Spoiler

It'll be revealed that the time-travel technology is actually just simulation.

This will cast Aelita's diorama and Wilf's "If you prick us, do we not bleed?" paraphrase in new light.

Well in the book, the people who are interested in stubs are likened to hobbyists, playing with dolls iirc…not sure if they said that in the programme.

Was cool to see a bit of contemporary rllmukness in the latest episode, the mad doctor was sporting one of @Gotters windproof Senz umbrellas as a parasol when she visited Lev!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding this to be a really faithful adaptation of the novel, in the sense that it has great ideas and really compelling characters but is also a bit boring. Flynne and her brother are great and I really like Wilf and Lev Zubov too, but the overall mystery is not that compelling and the plot is convoluted to the point where its actively distracting.

4 minutes ago, K said:

I'm finding this to be a really faithful adaptation of the novel, in the sense that it has great ideas and really compelling characters but is also a bit boring. Flynne and her brother are great and I really like Wilf and Lev Zubov too, but the overall mystery is not that compelling and the plot is convoluted to the point where its actively distracting.

Isn’t it barely the original story though? It’s been years since I read it but it seems to me they’ve taken the main elements of the story and created what is essentially a completely different one.

Not that it’s bad, but it definitely seems tellied up. I do keep forgetting new episodes are arriving though!

1 minute ago, ZOK said:

Isn’t it barely the original story though? It’s been years since I read it but it seems to me they’ve taken the main elements of the story and created what is essentially a completely different one.

Not that it’s bad, but it definitely seems tellied up. I do keep forgetting new episodes are arriving though!

They've changed a lot of the details - Wilf and Aelita weren't siblings in the novel, and Wilf was a louche and fairly lazy PR man rather than a kind of all-purpose bagman. I think the core of the plot is pretty similar -  i.e. what happened to Aelita and why? - but tbh I can't remember what the resolution was to that (and the plot summary on Wikipedia doesn't seem to know either).They seem to have tried to fix what I saw as the main problem with the novel - there's a lot more plot to keep things going, whereas the book seemed to put things on hold for about 300 pages.

The series isn't bad at all, but it still doesn't seem to be moving forward very much despite there being so many different elements to the plot. The setup is so complicated it feels like they have to keep all these plates spinning just to stay in the same place. There's plenty to like, though. The guy who plays Conner has absolutely magnetic charisma.

Exactly my feelings. Last episode just felt like a repeat of the previous ones with hardly any forward momentum. We barely learned anything new, had little character development and although plenty happened, not much happened at all. It's a shame because lots of other elements of the show are great but the plot and pacing are letting it down. I'm not especially looking forward to the next episode, and could happily put this series on hold, which is never really a good sign in a show.

One thing I’ve been thinking about is why did they bother sending that assassin a shockwave gun from the future in the post? He already has guns, which seem a lot more effective anyway.

I’m sure they weren’t in the book.

I wondered that too. I guess the gun looks relatively innocuous, and most people aren't going to assume it's a futuristic hadouken gun if they examine it, or see him carrying it round. It looks more like a staplegun than anything deadly. I also wondered why he decided to try and clip Flynne and Burton in the middle of the bridge into town, in perhaps the most exposed and visible point, rather than on any of the preceding miles of secluded rural highways where nobody would see a thing.

I suspect this kind of plot-holing is always more of a symptom of me not being engaged with something, rather than a cause. 

On 21/11/2022 at 11:32, PK said:

Completely agree. It's got loads of elements that I feel should make me love it but it's just not holding my attention.

Same for me. I haven't watched the new one and despite not having much on the go at the moment I've no real motivation to watch it.

Every bit of the Irish guys story was so terrible - from his backstory, to the bit at the bowling alley to the ridiculous bit on the bridge. After a strong start I think this is fading. 

Edited by Silent Runner

18 hours ago, ZOK said:

One thing I’ve been thinking about is why did they bother sending that assassin a shockwave gun from the future in the post? He already has guns, which seem a lot more effective anyway.

I’m sure they weren’t in the book.

Spoiler

Agreed. I do like the invisible cars though, very cool.

Spoiler

The only thing about the hadouken gun I can think of that makes sense is that it’s a completely unexplainable way of killing someone, and the cops might not even be able to draw a criminal conclusion. 

But that’s entirely undermined by a) doing it on a bridge and b) having already sent a hired squad of shootymans with bangbang guns in an earlier episode. 

Spoiler

So, about that ending... Did Flynn somehow upload her consciousness (and her 'brain bacteria') into herself from a different stub!? (If so, that's some shoddy-ass writing, considering the show never explained that peripherals could do such a thing.) Or did she simply make a stub that was very close to her current one, where her alternate self already had the brain bacteria? (Also a bad idea considering that'd be super predictable, and thusly easier for the R.I. to find out?)

Either way, it was explained horribly.

I like the show, though. The guy that plays Zubov needs a raise.

Overall I've enjoyed this but that last episode...

Spoiler

After the, let's say relaxed, pace of the previous seven it seemed a bit odd that it went "we need to stop the klepts" "ok we'll kill everybody" "hey they're going to kill everybody but I have a plan" "here's how you do your plan but it'll be very hard" "I've done my plan \o/" in like half an hour.

Agreed on Zubov, and also loved everything about the inspector.

Probably not if you didn't like the episode (although it doesn't appear to be directly related to what went on in the ep). Not sure whether it's in the book either, as I've not read it yet.

Seemed to be there to set things up up for S2

@ZOK

I thought I enjoyed this, but it might have just been the awesome visuals and big ideas fooling my brain. In reality I found myself reaching for my phone quite frequently, and didn’t understand what happened in the last episode at all. Hmm. 

I enjoyed the mystery's, and want to know more, and the action isn't bad, as it doesn't appear super high budget, but the show itself though is just a bit slow, and it's easy to get confused if you miss one piece of expository dialogue.

This is going to go the way of 99.9% of all sci fi shows with interesting ideas isn't it. In the bin, because they couldn't quite find the way.