Ico survey

Jumble Jumble

What mark out of ten then?  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want to get a feel for the forum's opinino of Ico, after seeing the recent ranting in the PS2 thread.

I've used the Edge scoring scheme as a guideline. How many marks out of ten would you give Ico? If you've played it, of course.

After a decent number of votes have come in I will add some stats info to this post.

Latest stats:

OK at 107 votes we have:

Median: 9 (wow)

Mode: 9 (with 40% of the vote)

Mean: 8.1

That's pretty amazing actually, I had expected it to be lower. Also interesting is the fact that only ONE person considers the game average, everyone else either reckons it's better or worse than that. And someone gave it zero, which I guess means that they feel it is impossible to make a game worse than Ico, even a game where, for instance, it crashes your console, every time, without letting you play for even one second. Maybe they were just trying to swing the average.

My observations of these forums suggest that out-and-out classics are the games that are keep getting mentioned months and months after they've been on sale.

Halo still gets a thread weekly, ICO does say, once a month. Unless the game is controversial then its safe to assume that any game which is constantly referenced is indeed a bit of a classic.

Seems an obvious point, but look at the games which people declared 'best game ever' upon their arrival, but bearly get a mention a month or so later.

8 or 9 seems about right for me. It still gets a play during dry spells.

Comfort gaming.

Disappionting.

Take away the fancy graphics and I still think you've got a pretty poor game. Awful combat, medicore level design, and having to drag the AI-less bint Yorda about all game became tiresome very quickly.

Ico == Style over substance.

My observations of these forums suggest that out-and-out classics are the games that are keep getting mentioned months and months after they've been on sale.

Halo still gets a thread weekly, ICO does say, once a month. Unless the game is controversial then its safe to assume that any game which is constantly referenced is indeed a bit of a classic.

Yup - Good call.

A 9 for me, Astounding game. Although certainly not revolutionary. ICO is a "Ultimate play the game" adventure for the 21st century.

An 8 from me, it is a truly beautiful game, and was very absorbing and I enjoyed every minute of it. Only thing was, i felt it was over a tad too quickly, and that it had little reason to play it again, other than Yordas translated bits.

An 8 from me, it is a truly beautiful game, and was very absorbing and I enjoyed every minute of it. Only thing was, i felt it was over a tad too quickly, and that it had little reason to play it again, other than Yordas translated bits.

If you feel it was over a little quickly, thats a fair criticism, but I don't feel a game should be marked down, or up, dependant on replayability.

9. It's got that X factor. It's more than a game. I don't mean that in a poncy arty way but it feels so right. Even if you don't like it you can't really direspect the design and the whole feeling of scale.

In fact, the more I think about it I start to think that the game is almost secondary. It's an experience in lots of ways.

I think you need to finish it too. That's quite important IMO.

Yeah, you haven't lived until you've led a brain-dead girl around a castle while hitting shadows with a stick....to me, that's all this game is. I absolutely cannot see anything more to it. But I've said all this before...

You're not trying. That's certainly not all it is. You've ignored the story, atmosphere, puzzles, platforming sections etc. You could reduce any game to a shallow one sentence summary.

Still, if you dont like it then fair enough.

Still, if you dont like it then fair enough.

The trouble is you have to buy into the world. If you don't then the gameplay is really nothing special - nicely executed, but badly lacking in variety or even imagination (like that dreadful piston jump 'puzzle'). It's practically all about connecting with the characters, and I didn't, because the game just wasn't challenging enough.

I don't hate it or anything silly, but I am bemused by the attention. PoP has all the beauty and atmosphere, but remembered to be challenging and fun as well.

Please don't let's start with the "you're not trying" and "you just don't get it" here. Please.

Disappointed, due to the wanktacular hype delivered on the EDGE forum. Maddeningly average game.

So you thought it was average, but you're marking it down from 5 because other people told you it was good?