IGNORED

Ico survey

Jumble Jumble

What mark out of ten then?  

229 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

this is precisely my point - if there WAS an incentive (hidden items, areas, tougher enemies)

Thing is, ICO has 'tougher enemies' second time through (if that's your thing). There are also hidden items (a new weapon I think), also you can play through a variety of filters and a second player can control Yorda at the same time.

But that's not the point, I've been to Cornwall - and enjoyed - it doesn't mean I wouldn't want to go back there again.

I'm not talking about marking Ico down for replay value though, just Pete's comment in general.

if you'd mark a game up for offering stacks of extras on replay, or stacks of gameplay depth so that replaying for highscores/collecting/hiddenstuffs whatever is great fun - which you would, I'm sure - surely you could mark a game down for lacking these things. especially if you're going to give it a 9 or 10.

if you'd mark a game up for offering stacks of extras on replay, or stacks of gameplay depth so that replaying for highscores/collecting/hiddenstuffs whatever is great fun - which you would, I'm sure - surely you could mark a game down for lacking these things. especially if you're going to give it a 9 or 10.

Replay value of SM64 after getting 120 stars? Replay value of Z:ooT on completion? Or Broken Sword? Metroid Prime? NWN?

Don't get me wrong, if it is a great game and has replay value, all the better - But, if it a great game and doesn't lend itself to replay - then the mark shouldn't suffer IMO.

That's just length, though.

If you're finding new stuff when you play it through again, then it's like playing something new. There has to come a point when you can't discover anything new anymore, at which point you'd have explored everything it has to offer.

What this leads to is arguing whether a longer game is 'better' than a shorter one - which is an argument going no-where.

That was actually something that appealed to me about ICO. It didn't insist you played any more past the natural end, just to unlock a load of rubbish put in to make it apparently better value for money. Games these days include way too much time consuming faff, which a minority actually care about. What was the SCEE survey figure Edge quoted? 90% of games bought are never completed? Games developers should take heed of that and make more short games like ICO.

Difficult one. I think you might mark it 'up' for having tons of replay value, but you wouldn't mark it 'down' for not having it. If that makes sense.

A game shouldn't be penalised for not including bonuses, but if it includes them, and it really adds to the game then it should get an extra mark.

Well, I know what I mean anyway.

That was actually something that appealed to me about ICO. It didn't insist you played any more past the natural end, just to unlock a load of rubbish put in to make it apparently better value for money. Games these days include way too much time consuming faff, which a minority actually care about. What was the SCEE survey figure Edge quoted? 90% of games bought are never completed? Games developers should take heed of that and make more short games like ICO.

you can have a short game which is infinitely replayable due to aceness of gameplay depth.

like, in your case, Ikaruga, say.

you can have a short game which is infinitely replayable due to aceness of gameplay depth.

Of course - But Ikaruga, being a 2D Shmup, is exactley the kind of game which lends itself to replay.

you could, but there'd be no point. there's no scope or depth to the gameplay; it's merely a vessel with which to convey the story and the environment. which is fine, but affords very little replay value.

Depends on your tolerance.

I could play it a hundred times and not do it the same way every time. There'd be very little point, but I still could. Likewise, I could get extremely bored seeing the exact same scripted enemy patterns emerge each time in Ikaruga and not want to replay... in which case it would be a very short game... unless the 'score' was an appealing aspect.

Replay value is a funny thing really. It almost entirely depends on how much you enjoy the game in the first place.

You could say the same for Ikaruga though. I just wanna see the end. I have no interest in high scores or chaining. I just want to get through it. What new stuff does it offer when finished, by the way?

(I'm being facetious, I really like Ikaruga, but the point I am making is valid.)

Well yes exactly. If Ikaruga had given me say a new ship graphic or invincibility cheat for every extra million I added to my High Score I would have been turned off quite a bit. Too much like work!

I think PeteBrant has a point about Ikaruga lending itself to replayability more than ICO, but I still think of ICO and say 'what a lovely game, I need to play that again!'.

An 8 from me, it is a truly beautiful game, and was very absorbing and I enjoyed every minute of it. Only thing was, i felt it was over a tad too quickly, and that it had little reason to play it again, other than Yordas translated bits.

apart from the lightsabre, the extended ending and the 2 player mode? and getting to see it all again..

OK at 107 votes we have:

Median: 9 (wow)

Mode: 9 (with 40% of the vote)

Mean: 8.1

That's pretty amazing actually, I had expected it to be lower. Also interesting is the fact that only ONE person considers the game average, everyone else either reckons it's better or worse than that. And someone gave it zero, which I guess means that they feel it is impossible to make a game worse than Ico, even a game where, for instance, it crashes your console, every time, without letting you play for even one second. Maybe they were just trying to swing the average.

.::: The emotional impact this game had for me was nothing short of revolutionary as no other game got even close to it before.

As of yet it is the best game I have played. Even when surpassed by a future title, it's impact will still be paramount in my gathered gaming experiences.

I think that's worth a 10/10 imo, despite the game being actually weak (or, with some stretch of the imagination, bad) in several departments.

Not bad, never bad. I love it like a long lost child. It is beautiful. But I only gave it 9 as the actual game mechanisms are limited. But it makes up for it in sheer style, breathtaking beauty and emotional connection. I do believe I was quoted in Edge's forum page for saying that it made me get scared of heights. I used to creep along those ledges man, creep. Millimetres at a time.

I just finished it, literally about 10 minutes ago, after doing 4 hours on Saturday another few on Sunday, and the rest tonight bringing it up to just over 9 hours for the entire game.

It sounds short, but I found it competely amazing - it's so nice to get a game that's been so hyped up on this forum and still be completely blown away by it. Strip the game play down to bare essentials and is sounds stupid - "wander around castle, dragging some girl around hitting shadows with a stick", but it would be stupid to break it down like that.

ICO is an incredibly satisfying game, the puzzles aren't tough, but still wonderful fun to solve and drag Yorda that bit further along. Someone else said it, the game has the factor, I'm not completely sure why. It's certainly stunning to look at and has a nice story, but it has *something* else.

I want to play it again now :lol::P:):)

:) gush gush gush :)

...and what and ending :)

AAAAAAARGH The ending! I thought we were gonna resume control! I was gutted, but immensely satisfied at the same time :lol:

Ico was great for me as it reminded me of old SNES platformers, but done in a nice 3D way. Great game. Avtually, now is about the right time to replay it for me, its been about a year and I *know* i wont remember anything :)

I think Ico is astounding. Superb art direction and characterisation. The design was partly inspired by the Gormenghast books. A sense of isolation, loneliness and despair. Stunning but fading beauty. A game that has been designed for anyone to be able to play. A game with no onscreen user interface. One of the PS2's finest titles. It's a pity it didn't do better at retail.