Don't Die Mr Robot DX (DDMRDX) - PC version out now

Flub

If you missed it on PS4/Vita this overlooked gem is coming to Switch on May 3rd. 

https://nintendoeverything.com/dont-die-mr-robot-dx-reaching-switch-on-may-3/

You control Mr Robot. You dodge the bad guys and kill them by eating fruit. Chain fruit explosions together to make combos. Impress the computer lady! Don't Die!

You will die

Also features Eggsy from Goldie Looking Chain

Here's some footage from a couple of years ago of me playing the arcade mode on the PS4 version. One of the best tips for early game is to hold off on setting loose your first chain for as long as possible. Fill the screen up with fruit and you get a really big scoring first chain.

I'll upload some Switch footage as soon as the embargo is up (Friday) and also post my thoughts (Spoilers. I've always loved this game)

I can talk about this now. Yay! (Disclaimer. I know Mike one of the ISG team and he gave me a code. I genuinely like this game and wouldn't be posting if I didn't.)

First a quick video of my mode of choice. Pure arcade with no upgrades

There's been some improvement in the graphics. You can now hold down R to make Mr Robot move more slowly (This is far more useful than it sounds. Especially in the early game). Previously it would take a while to get a game restarted after you died. Now you can skip all the transition bits by mashing A for a bit. I lose significant amounts of time to this damn game.

47 minutes ago, Flub said:

There's been some improvement in the graphics. You can now hold down R to make Mr Robot move more slowly 

Christ, I wish that would have been added to the Vita version, it's as twitchy as hell which is a complete pain in the arse then trying to get through the more delicate graze or avoid levels. Here's where I find out it's already in there or something. 

It's certainly decent, even at almost double the price from when it was released on Vita three and a half years ago. The eyes make for an occasionally infuriating hitbox but going for platinums on each level is a lot of fun, great for pick up and play. 

OK, I jumped in (worked out just over 2 quid with the gold coins I had from my DK pre-order), and I can already tell I’m going to like it. Been playing the Remix stages again and again to get platinums. It looks rubbish from screenshots, but it has a simple and fun mechanic, and it’s brilliant to play. Can’t imagine playing it without the ‘R’ button though.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to buying this. It looks and sounds like an Amiga and the chunky hitbox takes a lot of getting used to, but there's nothing quite like hanging on to the last moment for a 90k fruit combo, and the brief moment of peace afterwards before everything starts going insane.

It reminds me of Every Extend, but less pretty, but infinitely better paced.

• 1 year later...

Fired up my Vita for the first time in aaaaaaages the other week, and had forgotten I’d stored this from PS+. It’s so damn addictive! And it can be played on a PS4 too!

Was going to start Titanfall 2 yesterday but ended up playing this for an hour or so because I like it on a big screen and the music is ace and I died. A lot. Great fun.

3 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Yeah cracking game this on all formats. Is it on Switch? 

Yep! Bought it last week (already got it on the PS4) and it's great.

Enjoyed this safe as fuck reference:

ENs_WfQUYAAY59q.thumb.jpg.e56cb6e2814bb66613d63fb06ab0782b.jpg

The remix levels get hard quickly!

Managed five minutes in chill out mode, most of which wasn’t chilled out at all. Still not got a x30 chain; think I had enough fruit set up once but brilliantly died trying to get to a piece of it.

Fun game :)

• 2 years later...