God of War (2018) Spoiler Thread - Here be spoilers

Friendly obligatory warning, here be story spoilers. This is a thread for those who've finished the game and want to discuss it without having to use spoilers tags in the main God of War topic, or without having to decide what and what is not considered a spoiler by other readers. Again, here be spoilers.

I'll add more later, am at work now :)

• Upvote 2

I was surprised Odin never turns up. The way the games builds him up to being such an epic cunt, I thought I'd be facing him down. Even though the Baldur fight was epic, I was a bit miffed it was the last one (obvs not counting the Valks).

What I'm saying is, is I'm fiending like a mofo and I can't wait years for the next instalment. I NEED DLC!! 

I am surprised as you but equally relieved for I was not looking forward to the inevitable over-the-top big battle with Odin at the end. Instead we get a vista of Giant corpses and the closure to the adventure that began by a woman's dying wish. Perfection if you ask me.

• Upvote 4

I found that last scene really upsetting. All those corpses. A whole race wiped out and the ashes of (one of) the last of their kind being sprinkled over them. Really melancholy.

I agree with you about Odin. I thought if we didn't face him, we'd at least get him teased

like they do with Thor at the end.

Fuck sake, it's going to be years before we get more of this :( 

*edit* shit, sorry. Didn't realise you hadn't seen the end @df0. I'm having to put spoilers in a spoiler thread now :lol: 

Surely there'll be DLC. Didn't Horizon Zero Dawn get released without any DLC pre-announcement?

That said, I am not sure what makes good DLC. Fight with Freya? Exploration of a new zone? Return of and fight with Modi?

Siege of Asgard would do it for me. Or maybe finding out why the Dark Elf guy said you were fighting the wrong elves, leading onto going to Asgard and starting Ragnarok? 

There is shit loads they can do. Not really seen Vanahiem yet other than Freya's window.

Ah cool. Personally, I do not hope they get Odin involved yet. Come to think of it, does Odin even care about Kratos and Atreus at this point? We're being told that his sons and Baldur have a personal stake at fighting dad and son, but what about Odin? Sure he is a prick but what dealings does he personally have with Kratos?

A threat to him. Mirmir repeatedly tells tales of Odin fucking people/things over if he perceives them to be a threat to him - even if he's just paranoid and imagining a threat - and lo and behold, living on his doorstep is a guy who pretty much wiped out every God the most advanced civilisation (at that point in time) worshipped.

He could probably get in cozy and manipulate Freya* (promise to remove the spell blocking her going back to Vanahiem?) into trying to trap Kratos too. So many directions they can go in. Speaking of which, has it even been announced if there is even going to be a sequel? I know Cory Balog wasn't initially keen to revisit the franchise again.

*anyone else think Freya is the spitting image of the actress Abigail Spencer?

Is there something in the top left of the map? It seems like the clouds are covering a larger space there than the other corners.

I thought we'd be going to more of the worlds, there's number still on the wheel we didn't go to - so there's plenty of sequel / DLC options

Some slightly odd bugs now I'm revisiting places. Boy calls out that he's found something, such as sand bowls, that we've already done. So sometimes he calls out "found something" but it takes me a while to realise he hasn't.

yeah going back home was fun. Also just at the witches cave again and there's some nice comments about it.

Finished it tonight, all I have left that's really worth it now is the Valkyries, of which I have four left. Might do the NIflheim stuff though to make the remaining Valk's easier. 

What a great end, and a wonderful take on norse mythology as a whole. 

Also, going home, getting the Blades of Chaos, and unleashing hell with them is easily one of the most memorable moments in gaming I've had for a long time. It's up there with talking to Sovereign in Mass Effect - goosebumps. :)

• Upvote 2

Almost made it up to the Volcano tonight but beaten by the no damage wave. That was a nice and unexpected  I’ve still got loads to do; 1 more dragon,, Valkyries and a load of quests around the lake.

Sorted out some epic mist armour tonight and maxed the axe 

On the back of this, I've bought Neil Gaiman's retelling of Norse Mythology. I've only just started, but here's a quote that really shines a light on how the game actually really fits in:

"Loki is the son of Laufey, who was also known as Nal, or needle, because she was slim and beautiful and sharp. His father was said to be Farbauti, a giant; his name means 'he who strikes dangerous blows', and Farbauti was as dangerous as his name."

"Was said to be",  so very open to interpretation. What the devs have done is absolute fucking genius. :wub:

Strangely I picked that up as well on the back of GOW and they really have done a great job of reinterpreting the myths. 

Have to agree with Mímir as well - so far in the book Thor really is a bawbag

• Upvote 4

And for the very first time in the 45 hours I’ve been playing this frustration kicked in. The Queen Valkyrie is a right cunt. Has quadruple the health pool and all of the attacks from all 8 previous Valkyries. It is a spam fest of unblockbale attacks which is made worse by the simple fact that the “Valhalla!!” shout no longer exists. The attack is still there, the voice line is gone. To make it just that more exciti, i mean annoying.

• Upvote 1

Soooo I’m running lots of blue upgraded gear and can get some purple and gold (I’m aware of the tiers from Destiny) but anything purple/gold that I can buy drops my level - I assume I need to buy and upgrade the higher tier stuff but seems odd it’s not automatically better when some is level 5 vs my 3+?

I watched EZA with Barlog yesterday, he's says there's a load of foreshadowing of Atreus identity throught with a huge one at the start.

Also anything in yellow is a visual language marker for his wife Faye, hence why the tree on the first shot is marked with a yellow hand print- she had picked this tree for her funeral pyre.

Looking forward to going back to seeing what I can spot.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I had a go at her,  and feel she's doable but I need to get to level 8 first. Need to level up my weapons. Axe is only 5, and Blades a lowly 4.

@Mortis Freya's unusual wedding. :lol:

Yeah I think the Norse gods are my favourite of all now - I don’t know what the vikings were smoking but it’s potent stuff :)

• Upvote 3
5 hours ago, Thor said:

I had a go at her,  and feel she's doable...

5 hours ago, df0 said:

Doable? Fuck me, I must be using all the wrong Runics.

Er, yeah. About that... no. She's fucking solid.

• Empathy 1