rllmuk

God of War (2018) Spoiler Thread - Here be spoilers

I'm fine with the shield, the special moves for both weapons when you hold L1, and then R1 or R2, but where i really struggle is on the moves where you have to wait for the animation to finish, and then press either R1, or R2 to continue the combo. In the middle of a hectic fight, i cant seem to pull these off at all!

Plus there is the move where you can throw your axe, and hit about 5 different enemies, and then also make the axe give off some kind of an explosion. The move set is very diverse in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I have little interest in God of War as a series. I played through 1 and 2 years ago and found them pretty fun as far as I remember. I couldn't  tell you much about their story though.

I absolutely loved God of War 2018.

Aside from any story or character

considerations, it's a solid third person brawler with a look and feel that distinguishes it's self. 

What really made this game for me was the central relationship and the overall parenting themes.

It felt real and familiar to me. I have a ten year old son and I think the handling of both characters and their growing relationship was handled so well.

There have been some negative comments about some situations and motivations regarding the most prominent characters in the story.  I felt that people making these comments must have missed some explainations or set up, and/or they aren't parents, because there wasn't ever one beat in there that didn't feel like something that I've been a part of first hand. I really identified with Kratos trying and often failing to find the balance and understanding needed to be a decent dad. I loved Atreus' changing moods that were overt reactions to revelations and also mood swings that were a little harder to pin down which are a difficult fact of life in relationships.

One of my favourite parts of the journey though are the scripted Spartan rage moments. I know you can activate it kinda whenever in normal gameplay but when it's forced it's always because of Atreus being in mortal danger. It really says a lot with the story having Kratos desperate to keep this part of him away from his son. Lovely to illustrate that ideal of doing whatever's needed to keep your kids safe.

Such a great game.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, U-1 said:

Not sure if we are classing unlocked weapons as spoilers still so posting this pic in here just to be safe

Yes definitely, especially for such an iconic weapon to the series. So thanks for posting it not there :) Grand photo.

• Upvote 2
On 01/05/2018 at 00:56, HarryBizzle said:

I thought Freya at the end was handled pretty poorly in a game in which pretty much everything else is handled in an incredibly clever way.

The game, throughout, manages to add depth and nuance, to pretty much every character your encounter, and even those you don't - the bandit leader's son, Motsognir, etc. Nothing in the game is black and white. No one is pure evil. Even Odin has some redeeming qualities mentioned about him, some things he seemed to genuinely do in good faith, before his paranoia got the better of him.

But Freya is a moron who was willing to turn her son into a complete and utter psychopath who hates her and is incapable of feeling any joy if it meant maintaining her spell. She lied to him for 100 years when she had the means to reverse it all along. What's even weirder is that the Aesir are basically immortal, anyway.

Her little monologue at the end seemed out of place, too. We hear throughout the game about how she's the fair queen of a race of hippies and what not, and while I can understand that despite her son being a total shit, she's utterly heartbroken, the kind of vengeance she promises to rain down on Kratos is worlds apart from what she's supposed to be.

She cast a spell on him to make invulnerable as when he was born a prophecy was set that he would die which would start the sequence of events that led to Ragnorok.  Sadly as a side effect he also couldn't feel anything.  The spell was made by making everyliving creature promise they wouldn't hurt him - which they all did with the exception of the Mistletoe.  Hence her reaction to the arrow and why Atreus' quiver strap breaks the spell.

His death is why the winter (which precedes Ragornok) has started in the post game and clearly where the sequel will be going

• Upvote 1

Anyways loved this and some nice playing fast and loose with mythology going in the story - although I'm less convinced by Atreus turning out to be Loki - for one things makes the existence of Helheim a little confusing giving its ruler the goddess Hel is Loki's daughter.

Took in the vast majority of the side content during my main play though (all the favours and dwarf quests, freed all the dragons) so just have the Valkries and Muscelheim/Nilfeim left to sink my teeth into.

I finished the main story tonight. Odin really doesn't appear in the game? I thought they might be saving him for the final boss but I guess they're saving him for a sequel instead? Bit disappointing. The Baldur fight at the beginning was good but nowhere near good enough to revisit so many times.

2 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

She cast a spell on him to make invulnerable as when he was born a prophecy was set that he would die which would start the sequence of events that led to Ragnorok.  Sadly as a side effect he also couldn't feel anything.  The spell was made by making everyliving creature promise they wouldn't hurt him - which they all did with the exception of the Mistletoe.  Hence her reaction to the arrow and why Atreus' quiver strap breaks the spell.

His death is why the winter (which precedes Ragornok) has started in the post game and clearly where the sequel will be going

You seem to be conflating what’s in the game with actual Norse mythology. Unless I’m mistaken the only prophecy in the game is that he would “die a needless death.” So it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy because of Freya’s actions. 

Same goes for Loki being Hel’s dad. He’s clearly not in this. 

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

You seem to be conflating what’s in the game with actual Norse mythology. Unless I’m mistaken the only prophecy in the game is that he would “die a needless death.” So it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy because of Freya’s actions. 

Same goes for Loki being Hel’s dad. He’s clearly not in this. 

Well Hel hasn’t appeared at all yet or been mentioned so that’s not off the table.

And dying a needless death and curiously enough Fimbelwinter starting following his death suggests they are following the mythology pretty closely. Balder’s death in the myth is pretty much a self fulfilling prophecy too, the only new addition is the curse of him being unable to feel 

It’s not Fimbulventer. Can’t remember who says it but they say Ragnarok has been brought about 100 years forward. 

Fimbulwinter is immediately before Ragnarok and only about 3 winters long. 

I suppose there’s still time for Hel to be born, but Jormangandr already exists and that’s her brother. I think I saw Fenrir mentioned in the game as well. I sort of assumed that enormous crow thing in Helheim is Hel. 

Is there any explanation for why Sindri would have made arrows out of mistletoe in the first place?

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

It’s not Fimbulventer. Can’t remember who says it but they say Ragnarok has been brought about 100 years forward. 

Fimbulwinter is immediately before Ragnarok and only about 3 winters long. 

I suppose there’s still time for Hel to be born, but Jormangandr already exists and that’s her brother. I think I saw Fenrir mentioned in the game as well. I sort of assumed that enormous crow thing in Helheim is Hel. 

Is there any explanation for why Sindri would have made arrows out of mistletoe in the first place?

The dwarves and Mimir literally say it’s Fimbelvinter when you come back to Midgard after Jorgenheim.

Hel as a character seemed to be completely missing from the game but then again so was a lot of the pantheon so anyone’s guess.

Theres no reference as far as I can remember to what made Sindri make a mistletoe arrow although given it was Loki’s whispers in the myth we can probably rule that out

No. Brok thinks it’s Fimbulwinter. Doesn’t confirm that it is. Mimir says the snowfall is an omen for the coming of Fimbulwinter. 

In the podcasts released before hand there’s an awful winter which lasts just short of 90 days (which would make it Fimbulwinter), and Odin says he knows the real thing is not far off. 

• 2 weeks later...

just cleared this tonight, finally.

great game but i felt that it peaked at the dragon boss battle. that bit was unfuckingbelievable. while the rest was good i was expecting the ante to have been upped further, yet it fell kinda flat and ran out of steam.

bit of a silly ending imo and there are still way too many loose plot threads, for them to now disingenuously milk of course.

solid 8 from me, down from what was a solid 9 maybe even a 10.

• 1 year later...

I only finished this last night (great game, should have played it sooner), but am surprised no-ones asked about the whole "Who blew the horn?" thing when Atreus was ill, and Kratos was taking him to Freya's. Its not like it was a throwaway thing, and even Mimir says "Somebody just called the serpent", as no-one other than Mimir (at that point anyway) can speak his language. That stuck with me throughout the whole game, and I was expecting some big reveal, but it never came. Maybe in the next God of War I guess.

New Game+ mode looks like the developers put a fair bit of time into it too, with new armour sets, upgrades and enchants to get which allow Kratos to become even more powerful. Tempted to play this mode, despite doing everything in the game already, and I dont usually bother with games past that point.

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Came to this pretty late (missus bought me it for my birthday in October) and its my first God of War (minus trying 3 briefly when it was free of PS+) Despite loving it I had a long break after the first week (something of a habit it seems with games that last over the 10hr mark). 

Anyhoo, came back to it a week or so ago and it's taken over me. Every night I've been eager to return to Midgard (or one of the other realms). 

I've since finished the main story/quest and it was an incredible journey. Lovely to see such a simple premise of a wife's dying wish fulfilled. 

Now mopping up the rest and have spent a good few hours today trying to take down that fucker of the Queen valkyrie. Closest I've come is a bar and a half, but fucking hell, sometimes I'm lucky to not be using a resurrection stone within 20s of the fight starting. Feels like a Dark Souls boss in that you have to learn her moves inside out, and even then, there's a huge degree of luck involved (that valhalla move of hers can get right tae fook!). 

Have every intention of platinuming this one. Something I've rarely cared about apart from Bloodborne. 

What a marvelous example of storytelling, technical achievement and engaging gameplay / open world! 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, FozZ said:

Came to this pretty late (missus bought me it for my birthday in October) and its my first God of War (minus trying 3 briefly when it was free of PS+) Despite loving it I had a long break after the first week (something of a habit it seems with games that last over the 10hr mark). 

Anyhoo, came back to it a week or so ago and it's taken over me. Every night I've been eager to return to Midgard (or one of the other realms). 

I've since finished the main story/quest and it was an incredible journey. Lovely to see such a simple premise of a wife's dying wish fulfilled. 

Now mopping up the rest and have spent a good few hours today trying to take down that fucker of the Queen valkyrie. Closest I've come is a bar and a half, but fucking hell, sometimes I'm lucky to not be using a resurrection stone within 20s of the fight starting. Feels like a Dark Souls boss in that you have to learn her moves inside out, and even then, there's a huge degree of luck involved (that valhalla move of hers can get right tae fook!). 

Have every intention of platinuming this one. Something I've rarely cared about apart from Bloodborne. 

What a marvelous example of storytelling, technical achievement and engaging gameplay / open world! 

Yep, I love this game. Bear in mind that, if your pride can take it, you don't need to defeat the Queen on normal mode to get the trophy. #justsayin

It's a shame that this never got any DLC. I was sure that the realms on the tree map that you're cut off from were going to be DLC levels, but not seems it was never meant to be.

I'm hoping we learn of the inevitable sequel soon. Maybe a PS5 launch title :eyebrows:

27 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yep, I love this game. Bear in mind that, if your pride can take it, you don't need to defeat the Queen on normal mode to get the trophy. #justsayin

It's a shame that this never got any DLC. I was sure that the realms on the tree map that you're cut off from were going to be DLC levels, but not seems it was never meant to be.

I'm hoping we learn of the inevitable sequel soon. Maybe a PS5 launch title :eyebrows:

Aye, it'll be interesting to see where they might take it given the main goal was quite basic, and it seems like Ragnarok is on the brink of arriving by the end (winter has come, as it were).

Good to know I could reduce the difficulty, but I'm determined that that bitch will get hers. Only the valhalla move feels unfair at times, and even that I'm getting better at avoiding, the rest is all on me if I get hit. 

I know the satisfaction and relief will be worth it when I eventually best her. 

Just now, FozZ said:

Aye, it'll be interesting to see where they might take it given the main goal was quite basic, and it seems like Ragnarok is on the brink of arriving by the end (winter has come, as it were).

Good to know I could reduce the difficulty, but I'm determined that that bitch will get hers. Only the valhalla move feels unfair at times, and even that I'm getting better at avoiding, the rest is all on me if I get hit. 

I know the satisfaction and relief will be worth it when I eventually best her. 

I picked up a few tips from this vid. I completely didn't realise you could break her shield, for example:

This guy's nuts. Mad skillz.