rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

Hereditary

So this preview was shown to a bunch of unsuspecting schoolchildren.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/apr/27/peter-rabbit-hereditary-trailer-years-scariest-film-australia-perth?CMP=soc_567

Families were forced to flee an Australian cinema when a trailer for a horror film dubbed “the year’s scariest film” was accidentally shown before a school holidays showing of Peter Rabbit.

WAtoday reports that the incident occurred an Anzac Day holiday screening of the Beatrix Potter adaptation at Event Cinemas in Innaloo, Perth. As audience members settled down for the film, a trailer for Hereditary began to play. The film, which stars Toni Colette, has received an MA15+ rating in Australia for “themes of strong horror”. Its trailer features a number of unsettling scenes, including one in which a child appears to cut the head off a dead pigeon with a pair of scissors.

“It was dreadful. Very quickly you could tell this was not a kid’s film,” an audience member told the newspaper. “Parents were yelling at the projectionist to stop, covering their kids’ eyes and ears. Some parents fled the cinema with their kids in tow.”

Someone is going to be in a lot of trouble for this.

On the other hand you couldn't ask for better viral marketing for a horror movie.

I’m sure the horror of having to watch an animated character voiced by James Corden for 90 minutes will have a far more damaging psychological effect on those poor kids.

• Upvote 8

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/01/hereditary-review-horror-toni-collette-brilliant-fear

‘It was the first time I’ve heard someone in an audience of hardened critics yelp the word “Fu-uck” in two separate syllables; the first in fear, the second in a kind of immediate, incredulous self-reproach for having lost it in public.’

This is getting some incredible buzz from critics, and currently sitting on 100% on RT.

Clarisse Loughrey said ‘I had a moment during this film that I just wanted to go can I tap out now? Can you just pause the film? Can I go outside for a bit, look at the sunshine.’

I have to say, I’m intrigued.

Veronica got loads of buzz too though and sits at 89% on RT. That was ok, but nothing special. I genuinely cant take the words of critics anymore when it comes to horror. Feel so detached by what they think is good, but maybe thats just my feelings on horrors these days.

My expectations for this have been cooled somewhat after hearing impressions from a very trusted friend. For him,  it went from an amazing, best genre film in years, first hour to a ‘crack handed and dumb’ final half hour or so that left him ‘more angry than he has ever been at a film’..

Fucking hell. Well. The horror genre is traditionally divisive so I'm a little wary of overhyping something only for you to go in with sky high expectations and be let down.

Bearing that in mind, it's 95% brilliant, at its absolute best it invoked a primal level of horror within me that a movie hasn't done in years, and you should all go and see it immediately. There are a couple of wobbles in the third act but it wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me. 

I was in a sold out cinema and on more than one occasion a hushed, shocked silence fell across the whole room. It pulls off traditional horror really well but it's particularly masterful at the fucked up family dynamics. There are several domestic scenes with the family which are as intense, fucked up and anxiety inducing as any of the more traditional horror scenes. It really nails the feeling that you're intruding on something intensely private which you shouldn't be seeing or hearing.

Visually nearly every frame is a treat, there are numerous images that probably aren't going to leave my head anytime soon. It's made by someone who clearly understands  what is scary. I can't help but contrast it to something like IT which was a total lame duck and made by someone with no real understanding of fear in comparison (and in a movie specifically about childhood fears too.)

The audio is stonking, while the acting is fantastic nearly across the board although I found the husband a bit weak next to the rest of the cast. That Toni Collette kills it shouldn't surprise anyone but I was surprised at how good the actor who plays the son is. He has an incredibly difficult role and the whole movie would have fallen apart if he fluffed it.

I did prefer the first two acts to the third. There was a 5-10 minute stretch near the end where I feared the movie was losing it a bit but it immediately pulled it right back. There's also a chunk of unncessary exposition literally right at the end of the movie which I thought ruined it a bit. It's really obvious what happens if you're paying any kind of attention, it feels like they put it in there because they were scared of idiots not understanding it and I thought it diluted the impact a bit.

I can see why the ending might prove a little divisive but at the same time.....ENDING SPOILERS

it's basically just the ending to Rosemary's Baby but with a different cult and evil spirit isn't it? In fact the main criticism I might level at the movie when all is said and done is that, ultimately, it could probably pass as a reimagining of that movie. Theres a lot in the movie that is clearly its own, but taking the events at their basest level it clearly takes many many cues from that film. But then Rosemary's Baby is one of the best horror movies ever made so I can't complain too much.

Inevitably some of you lot are probably going to be disappointed after reading this. It is a slow burn (think Rosemary's Baby or The Shining) and won't be for everyone but fuck it. Best horror movie I've seen in years.

• Upvote 9

Yeah, this was great! First horror film to genuinely unnerve me in a long, long time. Really got under my skin, actual goosebumps at one point. It definitely takes a while to get going - reminds me of something like Audition in that respect - but totally worth it once it does. 

As mentioned above, the sound design and music are fantastic. Gabriel Byrne gives a great performance in what is quite a limited role on paper but is key to making it work. I found it genuinely unpredictable too.

I just read this got a D+ Cinemascore with test audiences. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? I have no idea how someone could sit through that and think it was worthy of a D+. Was the test audience just full of people who wanted CGI monsters to run at the screen shouting boo? Fuck's sake.

A few people leaving my screening didn't seem to have liked it. I think people expect the modern scary ghost film formula and you certainly don't get that here. It's got that 70s horror vibe. 

Loved it. The film has a really chilling atmosphere to it which even now a couple of hours later I'm struggling to shake off. I think it's a film that will really devide audiences as it's getting a lot of hype and a big release, yet it's a film that doesn't pander at all to the popcorn crowd. Heard a number of grumbles when I left the cinema. 

But wow, what a film. Beautifully shot, acted, and paced. One hell of a debut film.

I just saw this, and I feel a bit worried now to say I didn't like it. I thought it started well, and did a fantastic job early on of building a genuine sense of dread. I was left guessing a couple of times too as to what was really going on.

Sadly I thought it completely fell apart after that though. It just got silly towards the end, and was hampered by some ridiculously overwrought acting. I think this was definitely the director trying to turn things up to 11 rather than any fault of the cast mind. I thought the ending went too far in spelling things out too, when it really didn't need to.

Yeah the film definitely stays in your head - some of the images keep coming back to me and that creeping sense of evil lingers. I think I really loved it. And at the same time I won't want to watch it again for a while because it's really distressing. I forgot to mention a guy walked out after a key moment in the film, felt a bit bad for him. 

Don't watch this until you've seen the film if you want to avoid spoilers. 

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah the film definitely stays in your head - some of the images keep coming back to me and that creeping sense of evil lingers. I think I really loved it. And at the same time I won't want to watch it again for a while because it's really distressing. I forgot to mention a guy walked out after a key moment in the film, felt a bit bad for him. 

Don't watch this until you've seen the film if you want to avoid spoilers. 

I think I'm going to watch it again next week as I think there will be a lot to be picked up on a second viewing.

Things like..

the unfamiliar faces at the funeral, and probably throughout the film. And Annie talking about her brother committing suicide because he believed his mother was trying to put people inside him.

I saw it last night and thought it was horrible and wanted to leave most of the way through, so success?? It definitely left an impression and was on my mind the rest of the evening. The atmosphere was so weird in the cinema that some people were laughing at totally inappropriate times, more out of awkwardness than anything else.

I liked it but I don't really want to watch it again.

There were definitely a few laughs in my cinema, mostly out of sheer awkwardness as you say. Particularly during that dinner table scene as I recall, just because it was so brutal.

I actually started getting the giggles at a scene in the third act which had an agonisingly prolonged and tense build-up. If you've seen it you surely know the scene I'm talking about. It was a similar feeling to laughing at a funeral, which I actually did when my grandad died. I was so tense that it started coming out as laughter.

When the mother is hiding in the corner of the bedroom, then subsequently the living room.

• Upvote 1

I loved it, i like a film that just unravels itself and not knowing where it was going. Putting things together as I watched it is always a great experience. 

Spoilers

What was the deal with the dog? That's the only thing I didn't pick up on, usually something is telegraphed quite well. Like the mothers necklace and electrical post and the whole nuts thing.

Will pick this up when it gets released on bluray. Reminded me of don't look now, just like the Half in the Bag guys mentioned.

Kermode didn't seem to like it. I think the whole exorcist comparisons put his back up.

It’s one of those films that’s so completely itself that I feel like I really need to watch it a second time to appreciate the details. It’d be so easy for this to have been played a fraction more or less seriously and been ruined but it’s spotless.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was great. Reminded me a lot of Kill List, which I still prefer (but then I fucking love Kill List). A bit too much crying from Toni Collette, but aside from that it really did the trick.

• Upvote 2

Kill List was the film I thought of whilst watching as well. I think we've been in a really good period of horror in recent years With films like this, Kill List, Raw, Get Out and The Witch.

• Upvote 2

I really wanted to watch it but Kermode (a big horror buff who likes the same kind of horror as me) put me off a bit. Seemed to suggest the first hour is great and then it falls apart?

3 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I really wanted to watch it but Kermode (a big horror buff who likes the same kind of horror as me) put me off a bit. Seemed to suggest the first hour is great and then it falls apart?

I really didn't think it did.

Horror, like comedy, is extremely dependent on your susceptibility at the point of contact. Something that terrifies you or makes you puke with laughter on first view can fall so flat when you recommend it to a friend.

I thought this was overraught and too earnest in places, and I thought the subtext was either murky and confused or non-existent  (is it about reluctant parenthood), but it does a lot right. A hell of a lot

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

I like Kermode a lot, but I feel he's way of the mark with this one. I completely disagree with his comment about non horror fans enjoying it more. Horror is my favourite genre, and both me and my mate who I went with (a huge horror buff) loved it. His constant comparisons to It Comes At Night and The Babadook were telling, as in my opinion they are both good films but very overrated. For me this is the far better film.

For my the final third was fantastic. But that is the part that will divide opinions. 

• Upvote 1

I loved Babadook but this is a very different kind of movie. If you expect it to stay in a similarly strict allegorical serious mode throughout as Babadook did you’ll bounce off it. The tone has a lot of ironic wit to it and it is perfectly willing to go too far in the name of confounding and terrifying the audience towards the end.

The way it’s shot, hot damn. 

• Upvote 2

Didn’t he name Under the Shadow as the best film of 2016 too?

Yeah.

I do like Kermode, but he has some wild opinions. I love that he does have an opinion though; if I agreed with everything he said he wouldn’t be very interesting.

• Upvote 1

With hindsight I think my favourite (and I use the term loosely for obvious reasons) sequence is

Everything from the daughter being killed up until the funeral. Obviously the death is incredibly shocking in and of itself. It was

very clever of the trailer to make it seem like the movie was about a creepy little girl because you simply do not expect her to die 30 minutes in. Reminiscent of what Psycho or Scream pulled.

But the way the camera then stays with the brother the entire time, literally entire minutes, as he processes what happens and goes through shock, numbness and grief in the car and in his bedroom was so uncomfortable in its relentlessness and simplicity. Then capped off by hearing the mother's screams and that funeral shot. Ugh, the whole sequence is so beautifully shot, so devastating, so anxiety inducing and powerful all at once.

• Upvote 8