rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

Hereditary

Spoiler

Yeah, that was so difficult to get through that going back to regular horror after was kind of a relief. 

• Upvote 1

Liked but didn’t love it. Think I’d heard too much hype about how it was the scariest film in forever when in fact it was just mildly creepy. 

• Upvote 1

That’s something that bugs me about horror movies, when one is really good the word of mouth becomes its scariness level, regardless of whether that’s what’s good about it.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

That’s something that bugs me about horror movies, when one is really good the word of mouth becomes its scariness level, regardless of whether that’s what’s good about it.

True, but then that is the defining feature of the genre. If a horror movie had an amazing plot with brilliant characters, but nobody found it at all scary then it would be fair to say that it was a poor horror movie, despite still being a decent movie in isolation. The same would go for a comedy movie that wasn't very funny, or an action movie that had dull action sequences. Regardless of their other strengths they would clearly be failing at their main "thing", and anyone sitting down expecting a movie from that genre would probably be disappointed.

11 minutes ago, Mogster said:

True, but then that is the defining feature of the genre. If a horror movie had an amazing plot with brilliant characters, but nobody found it at all scary then it would be fair to say that it was a poor horror movie, despite still being a decent movie in isolation. The same would go for a comedy movie that wasn't very funny, or an action movie that had dull action sequences. Regardless of their other strengths they would clearly be failing at their main "thing", and anyone sitting down expecting a movie from that genre would probably be disappointed.

I think it's more about the vibe it creates rather than the outright scares. Look at something like Dawn Of The Dead, for me probably the greatest horror movie of all time, but not one I would ever describe as scary.

It depends what people define as scary too. I felt anxious and tense throughout nearly the whole movie, even when nothing 'scary' was happening, because of the mood and atmosphere it creates. Would an audience raised on modern popcorn horror even classify something like Rosemary's Baby as a horror movie anymore?

I was reading someone's opinion of this on ResetEra and they said that they shouldn't have advertised this as a horror movie when the first hour is mostly a drama, which I thought was ludicrous. Shows how short attention spans are now though.

• Upvote 2

I described it as The Babadook and The Witch having a child. It was more Rosemary's Baby than anything. Solid film but its way over hyped in terms of being the next Exorcist, in fact its more Exorcist Legion in tone.

17 hours ago, Capwn said:

I really wanted to watch it but Kermode (a big horror buff who likes the same kind of horror as me) put me off a bit. Seemed to suggest the first hour is great and then it falls apart?

If anything I almost felt the opposite. It's a bit of slow burn for the first hour that would maybe be a problem if the film didn't go anywhere. But it does! 

The first hour or so is perhaps the more 'impressive' film making but the rest of it is great too. 

• Upvote 3

Well, the greatest horror film of all time, The Thing, isn’t remotely scary. Although is it really sci-fi? I’m never sure.

Horror is more of an existential thing than anything else IMO. Dread, after the movie. The ending of Cronenberg’s “The Fly”, the, you know, scene in this, the essential concept of The Thing, all stuck with me in a sort of grim fog.

4 hours ago, JPL said:

Well, the greatest horror film of all time, The Thing, isn’t remotely scary. Although is it really sci-fi? I’m never sure.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but the Thing is plenty scary. Though I did watch the film when I was 8 but the spider head is something I never forget.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

The Babadook and The Witch weren't scary so not expecting much from this.

Fucking hell, my hero.

What is up with with people proclaiming that certain horror films ‘aren’t scary’ as if it’s fact? Is it just bravado?

Maybe you didn’t personally find them scary, but plenty of people did.

Also, The Thing, ‘isn’t remotely scary’? Ha. Do you guys want an award or something?

As for Hereditary, I thought it was ok. I thought the first 45 minutes were great but then it just started borrowing too much from other movies and I found it to be a bit of a let down. Probably didn’t help that my expectations were pretty high going into it. Will give it another watch at some point.

• Upvote 7

38 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Fucking hell, my hero.

What is up with with people proclaiming that certain horror films ‘aren’t scary’ as if it’s fact? Is it just bravado?

Also, The Thing, ‘isn’t remotely scary’? Ha. Do you guys want an award or something?

As for Hereditary, I thought it was ok. I thought the first 45 minutes were great but then it just started borrowing too much from other movies and I found it to be a bit of a let down. Probably didn’t help that my expectations were pretty high going into it. Will give it another watch at some point.

Alright mate, chill out.

I was more implying that horror doesn’t need to be ‘scary’ to be effective. Scariness seems to be the metric that these things are measured in though, which I think does a lot of films a massive injustice.

Horror is one of my favourite genres and I’ve watched and loved hundreds of film, but any of them being scary is pretty far down on my list of requirements. Atmosphere, tension, dread, weirdness, implied horrors, etc. all have a far greater impact on me.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

Fucking hell, my hero.

It isn’t a fact, just my opinion. I can support it with explanations as to the reasons why it was, mechanically and in context of the genre,I didn’t find those films scary, but ultimately it’s all just opinions.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, JPL said:

Alright mate, chill out.

I was more implying that horror doesn’t need to be ‘scary’ to be effective. Scariness seems to be the metric that these things are measured in though, which I think does a lot of films a massive injustice.

Horror is one of my favourite genres and I’ve watched and loved hundreds of film, but any of them being scary is pretty far down on my list of requirements. Atmosphere, tension, dread, weirdness, implied horrors, etc. all have a far greater impact on me.

Sorry, woke up with a hangover so not in the best of moods. I just feel like I’ve been reading this a lot recently, happened a lot with the IT remake, and it comes across as very ‘I’m well ‘ard, me. That’s not horror, because I didn’t find it scary at all’.

Surely ‘scariness’ is the result of atmosphere, tension, dread, weirdness and implied horrors, it doesn’t live alongside them, does it?

15 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

It isn’t a fact, just my opinion. I can support it with explanations as to the reasons why it was, mechanically and in context of the genre,I didn’t find those films scary, but ultimately it’s all just opinions.

Fair enough, it came across more like you were stating it as a fact though. Like I say, I feel like I’ve been seeing this a lot recently, I think we should be able to recognise something as a ‘scary’ movie, even if we don’t personally find it scary ourselves.

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

Sorry, woke up with a hangover so not in the best of moods. I just feel like I’ve been reading this a lot recently, happened a lot with the IT remake, and it comes across as very ‘I’m well ‘ard, me. That’s not horror, because I didn’t find it scary at all’.

Surely ‘scariness’ is the result of atmosphere, tension, dread, weirdness and implied horrors, it doesn’t live alongside them, does it?

Ah, it’s cool.

I think ‘scary’ for me, in the context of reviews, is about shocks, scares, frights. Basic, unsubtle ways to make people jump. I mean, I don’t mind that on ocassion, but there are far more interesting and effective ways to mess with people.

Maybe I’m misinterpreting what they mean by scary, but it always feels like the focus is on jump scares.

Jump scares are just one form of scariness, which is probably why they're called jump scares instead of just, well, "scares".

Atmosphere, tension and dread are all very much "scary" in my book. A walk through a dark wood at night can be scary enough without anything actually jumping out at you. On the other hand, someone shouting "boo" at you can make you jump without actually scaring you. A good jump scare needs all the other kinds of horror to be effective, as otherwise they're just annoying.

That's one thing this film had in its favour for me. It was all about the atmosphere, and it was very economical with the jump scares. Weirdly the one thing that actually made me jump was something really daft.

Breaking the little chair.

23 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Jump scares are just one form of scariness, which is probably why they're called jump scares instead of just, well, "scares".

Atmosphere, tension and dread are all very much "scary" in my book. A walk through a dark wood at night can be scary enough without anything actually jumping out at you. On the other hand, someone shouting "boo" at you can make you jump without actually scaring you. A good jump scare needs all the other kinds of horror to be effective, as otherwise they're just annoying.

That's one thing this film had in its favour for me. It was all about the atmosphere, and it was very economical with the jump scares. Weirdly the one thing that actually made me jump was something really daft.

Reveal hidden contents

Breaking the little chair.

Well, yeah, that’s my point. I know there are plenty of ways things can be scary, but that’s just how I see most media outlets defining it. It always feels to me like if something is chock full of jump scares then it gets hailed as the scariest movie ever. Films which approach horror with more subtlety generally don’t get raved about now in the same way.

I keep seeing lots of people on Twitter venting fury about the reviews this film got. I never understand why people get so angry about films getting a 5 star review, and are so determined to tell you abot their anger. It's almost like we've all got different tastes or something. 

It seems to have really annoyed a lot of people. I know one person who really hated it because of the ending. Not sure what was so bad about that. 

Mostly I think the audiences are conditioned to expect fast pace, loud noises and jump scares, which aren't on offer here. 

On 15/06/2018 at 23:59, kerraig UK said:

I thought it was great. Reminded me a lot of Kill List, which I still prefer (but then I fucking love Kill List). A bit too much crying from Toni Collette, but aside from that it really did the trick.

This. The final scenes really reminded me of Kill List and of course Rosemary's baby. 

I loved it btw, think I just saw a new horror masterpiece. 

One scene did prompt the loudest exclamation of FUCK ME MUN! I've ever heard in a cinema. 

• Upvote 2

Just saw this and knew nothing about it beforehand. Should probably spoiler all the discussion from here on:

Spoiler

The build-up is very gradual and I wasn’t sure where on Earth it would go before the end. What starts as a grounded horror tale of a family coming to grips with grief, followed by tragedy turns into a sophisticated hammer house ouija flick, which then segues into pure folk-horror.

What I wasn’t expecting to be doing at the end was laughing at the bizarreness of it all. Overall it had some pacing issues but resisted descending into full-on ghost train spooks. The ending was....bizzarro, but having been to a few odd California cult meetings (nothing remotely as sinister) I could actually relate to the nude loonies. The final shot was good, but almost spoiled entirely by the obviously-added-on-last-minute voice-over of Aunt Lydia explaining everything in black and white for any morons in the audience. 

Final song over the credits brought it back though and had me chuckling as I walked out.

Upsetting tragedy, folk-horror and black-comedy. Something for all the family!

Oh yeah and comparisons to the Exorcist are very lazy as it has far more in common with

Spoiler

Rosemary’s baby and The Wicker Man

• Upvote 2

Man alive. I was in a state of complete existential anxiety and dread for most of this. Some scenes are going to be my go-to for 'that was terrifying and fucked-up' for a long time. 

I'm not surprised a lot of people are unmoved though. My wife wasn't arsed, and we're usually very in-sync. I think it might make a difference if:

Spoiler

You've experienced a terrible, unexpected loss and know what that weird grief-blanket feels like. Because yep, some stuff IS both horrifying and funny at the same time when you're stuck in that little psychotic bubble. 

It works as a psycho-drama about grief and blame, as much as it does a flat out horror story. 

A slightly confusing plot and slightly flabby middle (only by 5-10 minutes) stop it being perfect, but it's still the greatest horror film of the decade so far, maybe even of the new millennium. 

I went to bed and couldn't get that sawing noise out of my head. 

On 14/06/2018 at 23:19, deerokus said:

A few people leaving my screening didn't seem to have liked it. I think people expect the modern scary ghost film formula and you certainly don't get that here. It's got that 70s horror vibe. 

That’s good to hear. I keep seeing ads for this on telly, and I can’t tally the rave reviews with the bits in the advert that look like every other shit horror film made in the last twenty years. It sounds like they’ve cut the ad to appeal to the crowd who lap that up.

On 16/06/2018 at 13:44, Mogster said:

I disagree with this. In all honesty, other than children who is ever genuinely scared by a horror film? It’s a film!

Creepy, on the other hand, is whatvit’s about. A decent horror film should be unsettling in a way that leaves you thinking about it afterwards, not having you drop your popcorn and then forgetting why before you are out of the door.

EDIT: I see everyone’s rinsed this conversation already, sorry!