rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

Hereditary

Finally saw this one after looking forward to it for ages. Bit disappointed, all told.

It was attractively shot, and offered a couple of nice narrative surprises. I even liked the ending more than many seem to, but it never rose to spectacular for me. The scenes that were supposed to be lingering and troubling came across as slow. Like a Ti West film.

I spent too much time trying to predict the direction they'd go in, because I wasn't absorbed enough. And I absolutely love horror, and think Zok's being facile (say what?) saying that only children get scared. Skillful directors can very capably draw emotional responses from anyone of any age, unless they're trying desperately hard.

I liked this when I saw it last night although I don't know if I could recommend it. The shift from one theme to something else later on in the film might be a bit too jarring for some, but with all the sharp cuts from day to night for example, I suppose that was the intent.

It reminded me of a bunch of stuff which I've seen and liked in the past, though such as

Spoiler
  • Black Christmas (a bit)
  • The Shining
  • The VVitch
  • Lords of Salem
  • A Dark Song
  • That one where the bloke is organising his mother's funeral.

... And a bunch of other stuff. I must admit that I have a soft spot for witch/devil cult films which is why I'm maybe not as critical of this as some people.

On 19/06/2018 at 21:02, cassidy said:

One scene did prompt the loudest exclamation of FUCK ME MUN! I've ever heard in a cinema. 

Was this cinema in Jamaica?

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed this more than Badabook and the Witch, though only It Follows has lived up to the hype for me personally

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Was this cinema in Jamaica?

Merthyr Tydfil so close.. 

Watched the film tonight and really liked it. I liked how it had the conviction to go all in with the third act after the slow build. Great performances from all and a great effective soundtrack. I can see how the end is splitting opinion but I think it's pretty ballsy for a film of its genre in 2018.

• Upvote 1

Saw this last night and I'm an actual coward but this didn't really get to me and I didn't really feel much dread, despite the long musical notes.

It probably didn't help that I found Charlie 

getting her head knocked off

absolutely hilarious and kept thinking about it for the duration of the film and laughing internally. It was so cartoonish.

It feels a lot like Mother! in regards to how it was set up and paced. I think, for all its faults, I actually preferred Mother!'s wild descent than the relatively conventional second half of Hereditary.

Not a bad film at all (stylistically, the abrupt day/night shifts were good) but not really one I'll return to, I don't think.

Thought this was totally disappointing, mostly, I guess because of the review hype. In the end it was, like The Witch, just a lot of mumbling and silliness.

I don't know how you make a serious horror movie any more. It feels like everything has been done before - this certainly felt like a very predictable retread of a lot of tropey horror movies.

Watched this a couple of weeks back, I thought it was good but the theatre I was in got a bit giggly (not helped by a middle aged man getting up and leaving, muttering "fuck this" after literally the first mild scare) and so it was harder to take everything going on seriously. Still, there were a couple of moments that shut everyone up all the same. Ultimately it did a very good job of racheting up the tension, which is the main thing I enjoy about horror films, just the heightened state of it all. It's not it's fault necessarily if a certain audience releases that tension in a different way than intended. I think some moments may have been intentionally comic, the film is just trying to knock you about through every possible emotion I feel.

Spoiler

I just spent the film feeling increasingly sorry for the increasingly moist son character. Seriously, they must have had someone with a spray bottle just off camera at all times. I think in a less excitable audience I might have been more affected by his plight. As it was he sort of came across as a bit of a wannabe Holden Caulfield type, and a bit insufferable as a result - maybe that's intentional? To help you empathise with the mother character who clearly has many difficulties connecting with him too?

• Upvote 2

Thought this was brilliant. I Loved the really strange and unsettling audio cues throughout (will definitely be one for headphones). Bizarre happenings and imagery mixed with some great stoic acting(well at the beginning and then mainly from Byrne but even with all the later outpouring and screaming it still has that feel, probably due to Byrne and his character) that adds to the overall strangeness. The story which is grounded in real mythical imagery, symbols and characters is fucking odd and creepy, and that ending. Really can't praise this enough. Classic. 

• Upvote 4

Dissapointing to be honest. It felt like three completely different films. The tonal shifts throughout kinda ruined it really. 

The start is slightly unsettling

Spoiler

with them seeing apparitions of the grandma.

But then

Spoiler

any horror element seems to just completely dissapear for at least over an hour whilst we see Charlie's brutal death and the grieving process. The telephone pole was obviously signposted but I was expecting him to crash into it not for it to take her head off. That was very shocking and I did like how the camera focussed on the brother and his refusal to turn round and whitness what had happened.

Then it shifts again massively in the last 10-15 mins to an almost laughable ending.

Spoiler

Her hidding up on the corner of the room looked freaky and then we see her crawling across the wall and it looks lame as shit, proper took me out it. Same with the headleas body floating up into the treeehouse. It all felt super rushed at the end.

The best thing about this was the presentation, the lighting and atmospheric noises. Also Toni Collette was brilliant. Other than that, I feel slightly dissapointed and didn't find it scary at all.

3/5

Just watched this for a second time. I think it’s absolutely fantastic. It probably did need two viewings to take it all in, but it’s easily one of the best horror films I’ve seen.

All of the performances are stunning, but Toni Collette really does steal the show. Take all the horror stuff out, and you’d still have a compelling family drama. I think the key to a good horror film is: when there’s nothing scary happening on screen, do I care? I think this is where most horror films fall down.

The camerawork, with close-ups, and a number of back and forth movements, plays with your expectations to leave you constantly on edge. It doesn’t rely upon jump scares, just sounds and odd figures hidden in the shadows. More scary stuff happens in your head than it does on screen, but you never feel shortchanged by that.

It all builds and builds to a suitably eerie climax, which begins with Peter waking up in his bed. The sequence that follows, with the camera movements, and complete lack of music, had my heart pumping even the second time. Wonderful.

There are a couple of missteps:

Spoiler

The seance/glass moving scenes were a bit comedic for my liking. It felt like they were from a different film, and didn’t really need to be there. Same with the book/arm burning scene and the highlighted text in the book - they didn’t need to be so overt.

It did remind me of The VVitch, vvhich I also enjoyed. I love how they both weaved real stories/legends into their plot, but neither gave the game away fully. Overall I found this the more satisfying of the two, and I’d happily watch it a third time.

• Upvote 5

See I completely dissagree with the climax, I thought it was laughable and like somehting from a different movie. Felt so rushed and tacked on after what had been a VERY slow burn.

• Upvote 1

I was going to post my thoughts after watching this last night, but they pretty much entirely match Paulando's! Particularly this bit:

I think the key to a good horror film is: when there’s nothing scary happening on screen, do I care? I think this is where most horror films fall down.

Even the slow, angsty middle hour was gripping, thanks to great performances and atmosphere. It's so rare to get a big budget horror movie filmed in Utah. The location work was so spot on.

Yeah, the ending wasn't bad so much as its reliance on tropes were. A lot of stuff felt out of place and there just for trailers to make the movie seem more horror and get bums on seats. If they had reigned it in a bit and kept some subtlety, this could have been an all time classic. Even that said, it's still a very good movie.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

See I completely dissagree with the climax, I thought it was laughable and like somehting from a different movie. Felt so rushed and tacked on after what had been a VERY slow burn.

Fair enough :)

To me, the film carefully puts its chess pieces (or dolls) in place ready for that final moment. I loved that it was about something, not just jump scare after jump scare, and a CGI ghost popping up in the final scene. The ending was the film:

Spoiler

A cult granting a body to King Paimon, through rituals and careful manipulation of a family over time.

The tragic circumstances Annie was put through, and the impact they had on her and her family, was the most horrifying thing for me. That couldn’t have worked without Collette’s fantastic performance. 

• Upvote 1

Chalk me up as another who really enjoyed this. Found it very oppressive throughout, not just because of the soundtrack but just how constantly bleak it is with a never ending build of dread. Like someone else mentioned it also reminded me heavily of Mother! and also like them I thought Mother! was a tighter more restrained script. My only criticism here was;

Spoiler

The ghosty seance scenes, felt like it was a different movie during those times.

Whilst watching I was thinking this could be this generation's 'TheShining' but coming here to read up on people's thoughts has changed my mind on that. It's clearly flawed. Anyway, it goes into 3rd position for my fave films of 2018. 

3/5 

• Upvote 1

It's not great, but it's pretty good. There are some really well done elements to the film, and the acting is fantastic - but to be honest, it's not any better than the usual mainstream fluff-horror that Blumhouse or any of the other studios pumps out. It's not especially tense, but there's a nice atmosphere to it and it's shot nicely. There's a few shots and scenes that stood out, but apart from that, it's nowhere near something recent like The Witch, It Follows, The Void, Get Out, Starry Eyes, The Neon Demon, The Babadook, Goodnight Mommy or even something more slight like The Innkeepers or House of the Devil. Comparisons to The Shining, The Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby are just ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

You mispelt shite as slight.

Its as good as those last three movies you mention and one of a few movies in the past few decades to earn that comparison. 

I've noticed other places too, that people are really ooooooverly defensive of this film when anyone dares to say that it's not some untouchable masterpiece. No-one's saying it's shite, pals. If it scared you, that's fine. If you found some deeper meaning that touched you somehow, that's good. If it made you feel some kind of way, fucking go you!

But don't go over the score, for fuck's sake.

It's not bad. It's alright. It's even pretty good (as I already said). It's not great. It's not a masterpiece. Get a grip.

• Upvote 1

I'm in the it's ok camp. The last twenty minutes were funny and I was laughing out loud, but I thought the director intended that? 

I loved the build up, the oldest son character and the start of the film. But I felt detached from it, couldn't really take any of it seriously. I think that's a personal thing where I'm just looking for tropes but that can also be a fault of the not grabbing me. Solid 3/5 for me too.

• Empathy 1

There's some fantastic moments in here:

The scene with the son in class headbutting the desk especially. The father being set on fire I felt was especially poorly done. The ending is laughable shit, I get that its a cult carefully guiding the family down a path to their goal, mirrored by the mother's occupation, but its badly, badly done

I throws away that opening hour of dread and unease. It slips way too easily into some horror tropes after that, the cut off point of it declining rapidly for me was:

The meeting of her 'friend'/the seance. The daughter's accident was a holy shit moment tbf

I'd have the section up to that as up there with the greatest Western horror. I'd still hold Raw as the best horror since Martyrs.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

There's some fantastic moments in here:

Hide contents

The scene with the son in class headbutting the desk especially. The father being set on fire I felt was especially poorly done. The ending is laughable shit, I get that its a cult carefully guiding the family down a path to their goal, mirrored by the mother's occupation, but its badly, badly done

I throws away that opening hour of dread and unease. It slips way too easily into some horror tropes after that, the cut off point of it declining rapidly for me was:

Reveal hidden contents

The meeting of her 'friend'/the seance. The daughter's accident was a holy shit moment tbf

I'd have the section up to that as up there with the greatest Western horror. I'd still hold Raw as the best horror since Martyrs.

100% agree. The first 45 minutes were so good, it just went rapidly downhill after that.

30 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

100% agree. The first 45 minutes were so good, it just went rapidly downhill after that.

One of the best scenes for me was much earlier on. It was..

Her mom in the room just staring back at her, really creepy and subtle. Similar to the end scene in the Innkeepers.

• Upvote 1

Plus the film didn't have jump scares, that's a bonus point where so many films just fall into that trap.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, yakumo said:

One of the best scenes for me was much earlier on. It was..

Hide contents

Her mom in the room just staring back at her, really creepy and subtle. Similar to the end scene in the Innkeepers.

Yes! Creepiest shot of the whole film, completely agree!

I really couldn’t stand this movie but one of many things that bugged me at the time was the complete lack of consequence for the son’s actions. Was that ever explained and I just missed it?

16 minutes ago, linkster said:

I really couldn’t stand this movie but one of many things that bugged me at the time was the complete lack of consequence for the son’s actions. Was that ever explained and I just missed it?

I never considered that...what kind of consequences and from who? 

7 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I never considered that...what kind of consequences and from who? 

More from the family than him and his mum being a bit awkward around each other (was genuinely confused right up until the point she started shouting which was an hour later when it was all in the past) but criminal? DUI? Death by dangerous driving ? Running from an accident?

None of that is shown. I figured the events took place over quite a number of months - shown by the different things Annie is working on, and some of the dialogue (Joanie says she remembers her from a few months ago). There’s possibly something in there about the deadline she’s working to, but I can’t remember. It also goes straight from Annie discovering her to the funeral - a jump of what, a week or two?

It’s fair to say it was seen as an incredibly unfortunate accident - caused by an animal in the road. I believe Annie even refers to it as ‘the accident’. And perhaps there was someone working on the inside to keep him free?