That’s exactly what I thought, except I thought there were places where the two “things” interacted weirdly and it didn’t totally work. 

Spoiler

Like, at the beginning you’re meant to care about the subtleties of the family relationships and by the end they’re all dying in over-the-top gruesome ways. It’s a bit weird. 

On 24/08/2018 at 12:57, Creamstick said:

I've noticed other places too, that people are really ooooooverly defensive of this film when anyone dares to say that it's not some untouchable masterpiece. No-one's saying it's shite, pals. If it scared you, that's fine. If you found some deeper meaning that touched you somehow, that's good. If it made you feel some kind of way, fucking go you!

Now I couldn't give two shits to be honest. I just wanted to make the point with my original post that you must be referring to, that innkeepers and house of the devil are shite not sleight in my opinion. Whilst others find them highlights of the genre. 

I stand by my rating this as highly as Rosemary's baby mind. 

Btw, I watched this again last night and it was even better the second time. And the entire last 10mins are spelt out throughout the movie. 

Would watch again. 

44 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Now I couldn't give two shits to be honest. I just wanted to make the point with my original post that you must be referring to that innkeepers and house of the devil are shite not sleight. 

I watched this again last night and it was even better the second time. And the entire last 10mins are spelt out throughout the movie. 

Would watch again. 

Yeah the change in the second half doesn't feel that different on a second watch as the foundations are all there from the start. Looking forward too my third watch.

Decent enough film even if the main horror of it was the girl's face.

Thankfully that wasn't a problem for long.

The last 15 - 20 minutes were hilarious.

Was the Toni Collette character in on what was happening? She didn't seem to have a clue but then started crawling around and sawing her own head off.

2 hours ago, Made of Ghosts said:

That’s exactly what I thought, except I thought there were places where the two “things” interacted weirdly and it didn’t totally work. 

Hide contents

Like, at the beginning you’re meant to care about the subtleties of the family relationships and by the end they’re all dying in over-the-top gruesome ways. It’s a bit weird. 

I think it gives all the weirdness a bit more of an emotional context and weight, and the contrast from the naturalistic stuff makes it seem even weirder than it already is on its face.

7 hours ago, cassidy said:

Now I couldn't give two shits to be honest. I just wanted to make the point with my original post that you must be referring to, that innkeepers and house of the devil are shite not sleight in my opinion. Whilst others find them highlights of the genre.

I don't know how to break this to you, but I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to a general sense of people being overly offended when someone doesn't rate this film as a masterpiece, in other places, as well as here. You're kinda making my point for me.

21 minutes ago, Creamstick said:

I don't know how to break this to you, but I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to a general sense of people being overly offended when someone doesn't rate this film as a masterpiece, in other places, as well as here. You're kinda making my point for me.

It was just an odd, almost patronising thing to say, as if to validate your own opinion being the one true opinion. Because someone’s got defensive on the internet about something, it means you’re right and anyone who liked it is wrong.

8 minutes ago, Paulando said:

It was just an odd, almost patronising thing to say, as if to validate your own opinion being the one true opinion. Because someone’s got defensive on the internet about something, it means you’re right and anyone who liked it is wrong.

Yeah it's like when everyone was going mental in the last Jedi thread at anyone who thought it wasn't a great movie (which it isn't). I stayed out of the thread in the end because it was pretty tiresome to see everyone getting shouted down because they felt it wasn't a good film and couldn't fairly express their opinion.

I'm not a fan of people who confuse opinion with fact and I see it a lot.

We all like different things at the end of the day. And things like horror are particularly difficult because everyone gets scared/creeped out by different things.

40 minutes ago, strider said:

Yeah it's like when everyone was going mental in the last Jedi thread at anyone who thought it wasn't a great movie (which it isn't). I stayed out of the thread in the end because it was pretty tiresome to see everyone getting shouted down because they felt it wasn't a good film and couldn't fairly express their opinion.

I'm not a fan of people who confuse opinion with fact and I see it a lot.

We all like different things at the end of the day. And things like horror are particularly difficult because everyone gets scared/creeped out by different things.

I do get that, but I think the reverse is often true as well. There are a handful of people who will spam certain threads continually telling everyone how much they hate said film or TV show. As soon as a positive post is made you know they'll be back on to remind everyone of their opinion. I stopped reading Game Of Thrones and The Last Jedi threads a long time ago as it started to feel like groundhog day.

5 hours ago, Creamstick said:

my post is basically me doing the same about other highly regarded recent horror movies. So not at all the same. It’s almost like people can have different opinions about things and enjoying sharing those different opinions. 

On  a discussion forum of all places. 

14 hours ago, VN1X said:

Trying to watch this and I'm unsure if I'm supposed to be hearing this droning bass noise that starts at about 13 minutes into the movie (which seems at odds with what's actually happening on screen)?

It’s the score:

I watched this yesterday. There are definitely great horror moments in there, but overall I think there's just has too much stuff in it and I found it confusing. Like it was trying to fit loads of different kinds of horror tropes in there but they don't gel together into a single coherent idea. At least not one that I could follow.

Thought this was okay. But I really, really, really could have done without Basil Exposition at the end. 

Imagine how much better the Shining would have been if instead of just the slow zoom on the ballroom photo, the guy who interviewed him at the start came back and explained that he was now part of the hotel forever before the credits.

4 hours ago, strider said:

Watched it again for a second time and it holds up brilliantly. My wife found it too slow and my kids laughed through it, but I love it.

It's possibly one of my favourite horror movies.

Sums it up for me. I honestly thought it was supposed to be funny.

3 minutes ago, linkster said:

I honestly thought it was supposed to be funny.

I wouldn’t go that far personally, but I thought certain bits were laughable.

The more I’ve thought about this since I saw it, the more disappointed I am. It started so strongly, I really thought I was going to end up watching something deep and memorable.

Even though I loved it, there were a couple of unintentionally funny moments. One that sticks out is...

Spoiler

...near the end where the son is in the loft and everything has just become so fucking crazy. The way he screams and then just pelts through the window onto the lawn below made me chuckle.

We had plenty of fun at the screening I went to. It was at a tiny cinema in Cape Town called the Labia Theatre, and it was packed out. People in the audience were clicking, laughing at themselves for jumping, and everyone let out a knowing groan of despair when Joanie suggested a seance, and the next shot was her lighting a match in a pitch black room. It did seem to know what it was doing.