IGNORED

MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

8 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Totally. And Norton was a far better Bruce Banner than Ruffalo. After "I'm always angry" I expected more, even better Hulk action. Instead we got... well. 

There are so many great Hulk stories in the comics to draw from. Instead they squandered Planet Hulk on Thor (who also has plenty of awesome stories of his own without needing to borrow from other characters) and invented the most boring, unimpressive Hulk ever seen with Endgame. Even a body painted Ferrigno would have been preferable. 

And the current Immortal Hulk comic is also arguably the best superhero comic out there at the moment, and yet the movie equivalent is just a big pile of boring nothing.

I suspect Marvel are hamstrung by Universal having the distribution rights for solo Hulk films, hence shoehorning him into other character's films and The Avengers.

That may have changed recently (along with Namor)?

On 12/02/2021 at 15:40, Garwoofoo said:

Going to introduce my son (11) to the MCU shortly. I think he'll love it but I'm kind of dreading getting over that Phase One hump - Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor - three fairly mediocre movies in a row right at the start. He might start to wonder what all the fuss is about.

I guess we could skip Hulk but Iron Man 2 and the first Thor movie are both pretty significant in the long run. I'm hoping the character of Loki at least gives him something to enjoy.

This is what you lose by not watching the ‘MCU’ Hulk:

Ultron is like one of those movies that is worse than the sum of their parts somehow. Plenty of bits I’d forgotten that were good, the intro of Wanda & Pietro, Ullyses Klaw, Vision, Hulk jetting off into space. Tony being sure enough to basically bypass everyone, being wrong and then immediately doubling down. Cap pretending not to lift the hammer/budging it. Vision handing over the Hammer is much fucking cooler than I remember.

But the enormous set piece extinction level event danger never really feels that dangerous, Ultron’s personality is a bit weird, there are so many bits to sew together and there is LOADS of footage of the avengers fighting these ultimately pointless robots, like I get it, but there is loads of it. 

53 minutes ago, Commander Jameson said:

Was Cap pretending to not be able to lift the hammer? I took that as being he was nearly worthy, rather than he could have lifted it but was sparing Thor's blushes.

It’s not heavy, it’s enchanted. You can either move it or you can’t. He also really doesn’t change that much as a person between then and Endgame, a lot of what defines his character is him sticking to what he believes in, even when the world tells him it’s wrong. 

He could’ve wielded it then, hence Thor’s “I knew it” in Endgame, Cap was always worthy. 

16 hours ago, Mortis said:

The rights to Hulk and Namor apparently reverted back to marvel last year. 

Ah that makes total sense, since they're now making a She-Hulk series for Disney+. Alongside the likes of Leader and Abomination, She-Hulk and everything Hulk- adjecent was part of the Hulk license which had its distribution rights tied up with Universal. For some reason they also had Namor.

Which means that they now have Hulk, Strange, Namor, and Silver Surfer (who was part of the FF license) which means oh my:

Defenders.jpg.6114dea5a99952a8254210e717209340.jpg

If Marvel now has the Hulk license I hope to God they go back to basics with the Hulk for a series of solo films. Which is easy enough to do, Banner loses control again for whatever reason. 

Best case scenarios:

-introduction of gray Hulk leading to Mr. Fixit

-R-rated proper disgusting horror Immortal Hulk movie (unlikely lol)

-Banner losing control leads to the crossroads saga

On 12/02/2021 at 17:29, Broker said:

I quite like what they do with Banner in Age of Ultron, him trying to form a relationship but then losing control and the shame that follows are quite well handled. I seem to like Age of Ultron a lot more than everyone else though. 

On 12/02/2021 at 17:37, Chindie said:

I rewatched Age of Ultron the other night and found more to like than I had previously. It's still not great but there's more good than I remember there being.

I’ve been rewatching loads of MCU movies over the past little while, beginning with Age of Ultron, and I concur - I thought it was really boring on release, but found much to like on second viewing. To the point where I could barely remember Cap almost lifting Mjolnir! I do think the crashy smashy bashy finale is tedious though. 

I’ve also re-watched Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, Black Panther and Antman & The Wasp. I’m on a bit of a one and no mistake! The only one that’s disappointed is Black Panther - I’m sorry to say I found it boring the first time and was in my phone for long stretches the second time too. 

On 21/01/2021 at 09:10, Gigawatt said:

Do it in the order you’ve got there as there are things in Ant 2 and Marvel you’ll want to know before Endgame. Although if you’ve seen Endgame before it’s not a huge deal. 

Weve been watching the movies in timeline order according to disney + and just finished ragnarok.  Disney has Ant Man & Wasp now, before Infinity War / Endgame.  Ive read other people suggest Infinity War then Ant Man then endgame - any reason?

2 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Weve been watching the movies in timeline order according to disney + and just finished ragnarok.  Disney has Ant Man & Wasp now, before Infinity War / Endgame.  Ive read other people suggest Infinity War then Ant Man then endgame - any reason?

When you say timeline order, do you mean chronological? Ant Man & The Wasp has mild spoilers for Infinity War. I recommend watching Infinity War first, then Ant Man must be before Endgame. I take it from that order you’ve already seen Captain Marvel?

if you really want to do Ant Man first then

Spoiler

Don’t watch the post credits scenes of Ant Man and The Wasp until you’ve seen Inifinity War. 

52 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

When you say timeline order, do you mean chronological? Ant Man & The Wasp has mild spoilers for Infinity War. I recommend watching Infinity War first, then Ant Man must be before Endgame. I take it from that order you’ve already seen Captain Marvel?

if you really want to do Ant Man first then

Reveal hidden contents

Don’t watch the post credits scenes of Ant Man and The Wasp until you’ve seen Inifinity War. 

Yeah chronological order as per Disney. Cool I like the sound of having it between infinity and endgame as a break from the madness. Thanks!

On 16/02/2021 at 10:55, Steve McQueef said:

While they have the rights, Universal has first refusal on distributing any Hulk solo movie(s). 

Disney aren't about to put that money directly into someone else's pockets. 

I wonder if they can get around this by introducing Cho as Hulk instead of Banner? He's not technically the same Hulk.

On 16/02/2021 at 10:55, Steve McQueef said:

While they have the rights, Universal has first refusal on distributing any Hulk solo movie(s). 

Disney aren't about to put that money directly into someone else's pockets. 

I was under the impression that Marvel regained the distribution rights at the start of 2020 - hence why She-Hulk is now becoming a thing on Disney+. 

36 minutes ago, deKay said:

She-Hulk is a totally different character.

Part of the Hulk license, alongside Abomination and Leader 

Just like the FF license also gave Fox the likes of Galactus and Doom. And the Spider-man license comes with all his villains and side characters, so Marvel can't even use Aunt May without Sony's approval.

Rewatching Far From Home was a big surprise, it’s way better than I remember, I really loved it. The central cast are just so incredibly charming, and I really enjoyed pretty much everything about it. It’s not as good as Homecoming but it’s definitely really good. 

God damn Thor 2 is bad. It’s got nothing going for it at all. The best thing about it is the bit where Jane goes to Asgard because it’s a bit interesting seeing a human there. The bad guys are boring, it’s incessantly dour, the action is boring. Even Loki is dull. The plot is so incredibly generic. There’s just nothing.