IGNORED

MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

9 hours ago, Festoon said:

Graverobbing, even after death. 

Straight out the casket, risin' up

Look at the screen, can't you see me?

Multiverse of Madness, pick up my bones

Erase my name from off the tombstones

Alive and kickin', breathing the air

Say Excelsior, and I'll be there

No question, my suggestions of the action

Like Frank Castle in the middle of the blastin'

Messin' with me, you're messin' with the best

Snikt, you're takin' three claws to your chest

'Cause I'm, back from the dead

Stan the man's comin' back from the dead (back from the dead)

You know I'm back from the dead

And I'll film a fucking cameo, 'nuff said

Back from the dead, back from the dead

Like Wolverine I'm hard to kill

Like Wade boy Wilson I'm crazy ill

I'll beat you down with my shield, check the hammer I wield

I can do this all day, I'll never yield

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

I'm like Iron Man without the rust

Taking credit for Kirby, it's a must

'Cause I'm, back from the dead

Stan the man's comin' back from the dead (back from the dead)

You know I'm back from the dead

And I'll film a fucking cameo, 'nuff said

Back from the dead

Back from the dead

Back from the dead

Back from the dead

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

If I see a CGI Stan Lee cameo I will stand up, leave the cinema and never go back.

The Ghostbusters Afterlife stuff had me worried.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

If I see a CGI Stan Lee cameo I will stand up, leave the cinema and never go back.

If I see one, I will stand up, salute, shout "EXCELCIOR!" and applaud until they drag me away.

'nuff said!

Possibly not:

In the years and months leading up to Lee’s death in 2018, his life was marked by scandalous allegations of elder abuseas well as financial woes that seemingly stemmed from his being surrounded by people looking to cash in on the X-Men co-creator’s name. Lee filed a suit againstPOW! co-founder Gill Champion and CEO Shane Duffy in 2018 for finalizing a deal — using a signature said to have been stolen — to use his likeness that the 95-year-old believed to be nonexclusive at the time. POW! insisted that Lee’s claims were “completely without merit,” and the lawsuit was ultimately dropped just months before Lee’s death. Champion said of Lee in today’s press release that he sees the licensing deal as a way of honoring him.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/18/23123057/marvel-studios-stan-lee-likeness-pow-entertainment

8 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I was going to ask from reading that quote if it sounded like what I thought it did, but the title of the article answer it.

Yep - “Marvel Studios is licensing Stan Lee’s likeness from the company he sued before his death”

What the fuck are Marvel doing? Using his image/likeness after his death is one thing if his family have agreed it, but if it’s some arseholes from some company who may have been gritting him then it is inexcusable.

9 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I was going to ask from reading that quote if it sounded like what I thought it did, but the title of the article answer it.

Yep - “Marvel Studios is licensing Stan Lee’s likeness from the company he sued before his death”

What the fuck are Marvel doing? Using his image/likeness after his death is one thing if his family have agreed it, but if it’s some arseholes from some company who may have been gritting him then it is inexcusable.

They don't give a fuck about Stan Lee. Or any of their writers/artists.

If they did, they'd share the wealth when they use stories and designs from these people, but they don't. It's sad to see the likes of Declan Shalvey see a screencap and go 'oh, they're using my Moon Knight design' or whatever.

3 minutes ago, Festoon said:

They don't give a fuck about Stan Lee. Or any of their writers/artists.

I actually find it hard to enjoy Marvel films now due to the shitty way they treat the people who created the characters and wrote all the stories that make them so much money.

19 minutes ago, g wings said:

1. Two wrongs don’t make a right

2. DC don’t make good films

Where did I say anything about it being a good thing. 

Plus not all DC films are shit. I can provide a list if your interested. 

What's bad about their latest then The Batman? 

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

@SaintAnselm and DC did better did they? Cos they really didn't. 

Of course both companies treat their writers/artists terribly.

Though I do remember Jim Stalin saying he got more money from DC for using some obscure character he created than he got from Marvel for creating Thanos.

Both Marvel and DC treat the original writers and artists like shite. 

It's the old 'you did a job on the payroll and got paid for it so you've been reimbursed' attitude to artists who may have invented characters, stories or costumes.

A friend of mine who is an animator always says "it sucks but then again, the reach, influence, and financial risk, was taken by the company, and the characters were created on company time. Then again, if I'd designed Peppa Pig on BBC time it'd be a hard blow as Peppa rakes in a billion."

Although there was this: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/marvel-screened-guardians-galaxy-rocket-raccoons-creator.html

Incidentally, I also see the likes of Josh Burcham, an IDW Transformers artist, always post things like "oh, Hasbro have modelled their new Chromedome toy (or whatever) on my MTMTE version" and it makes me a little sad.

4 hours ago, cassidy said:

Where did I say anything about it being a good thing. 

Plus not all DC films are shit. I can provide a list if your interested. 

What's bad about their latest then The Batman? 

Calm down Boy Wonder, I was just being flippant.

P.S. No, I definitely don’t want a list, even though it would be very short. 

8 minutes ago, g wings said:

Calm down Boy Wonder, I was just being flippant.

P.S. No, I definitely don’t want a list, even though it would be very short. 

Perfectly calm and how did you know my name is Damian. 😂

Good work. 

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

Both Marvel and DC treat the original writers and artists like shite. 

It's the old 'you did a job on the payroll and got paid for it so you've been reimbursed' attitude to artists who may have invented characters, stories or costumes.

A friend of mine who is an animator always says "it sucks but then again, the reach, influence, and financial risk, was taken by the company, and the characters were created on company time. Then again, if I'd designed Peppa Pig on BBC time it'd be a hard blow as Peppa rakes in a billion."

Although there was this: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/marvel-screened-guardians-galaxy-rocket-raccoons-creator.html

It's an interesting subject. Isn't this true in most industries? If I create a tool at work (a non-creative industry) that the company uses and makes lots of money from, I wouldn't expect any cut of that, because its just part of the job I'm already being paid for. 

I'm not saying that's right, but I'm curious as to why we people feel salaried employees should be treated differently in creative industries.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

It's an interesting subject. Isn't this true in most industries? If I create a tool at work (a non-creative industry) that the company uses and makes lots of money from, I wouldn't expect any cut of that, because its just part of the job I'm already being paid for. 

I'm not saying that's right, but I'm curious as to why we people feel salaried employees should be treated differently in creative industries.

Really good point, I think it's a side effect of the vocational, creative effort employed in these industries combined with the poor pay that leads to this being a consideration when a character or property goes big time. It might be less of an issue for professional engineers who are properly reimbursed for their widget designs.

I'm not sure how, say, a Nintendo employee feels about their creations - was Gunpei Yokoi properly reimbursed for his inventions at /Nintendo, or sis he feel the need to be?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Tenoch Huerta (Narcos Mexico) will be Namor, being introduced in Black Panther 2. 

And the Duffer Brothers are supposedly in talks for Ghost Rider. Unknown if it’s a movie or TV. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

And the Duffer Brothers are supposedly in talks for Ghost Rider. Unknown if it’s a movie or TV. 

If the Duffers are involved it’ll be both. 

Interesting discussions about the ways creatives are paid, but I feel like lumping Stan Lee in with them is ridiculous. He established that practice in comics, and lived his days out in absolute luxury off the backs of the artists who created the things he took credit for. If there’s anyone who deserves to have their image exploited posthumously its him, his entire career was an endless sequence of thefts. 

15 minutes ago, Broker said:

Interesting discussions about the ways creatives are paid, but I feel like lumping Stan Lee in with them is ridiculous. He established that practice in comics, and lived his days out in absolute luxury off the backs of the artists who created the things he took credit for. If there’s anyone who deserves to have their image exploited posthumously its him, his entire career was an endless sequence of thefts. 

His work was as a salesman, a showman, a spokesperson and an advocate. He’s the PT Barnum of comics. The Vince McMahon.

He promoted comics. Pushed them, made them what they are today. He may not have created the characters or stories, but he created and steered the industry - and without him Marvel would not be what it is.

• 3 weeks later...