MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Yeah, they need to dial back the numbers like they did with Endgame

It's hard to tell what is sarcasm or not when it's just words on a screen, but if you are being sarcastic then I don't see what you've said has to do with my post? 

Unless you are telling me that everybody in Endgame had a fully fleshed-out part, your post is irrelevant to my point, which I shall rephrase: I'm interested to see who will be in the core group that the film largely focuses on.

If you weren't being sarcastic, then yes, as I say above, there will be a central team that has the bulk of the dialogue and action and it will be interesting to see who makes that cut, especially as there will probably be further characters making their debut (on film or TV) before then. 

I don't know what it is (maybe it's the fact that the story as it was all got tied up in end Endgame? Maybe the newer movies have all been a little duff? The TV stuff all feeling like a smattering of nothing teasers for bigger stuff to come?) but I've pretty much lost interest in Avengers: Neverending Corporate Roadmap. I'll end up watching a lot of it, I'm sure - but it's not going to be opening weekend excitement for me at least. Nor cinema at all for a lot of it, either.

Out of interest, what is the difference these days between a teaser and a trailer? In the BLACK panther 2 thread the self-labeled teaser trailer is like 2 minutes long. That's just a trailer, no?

8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Out of interest, what is the difference these days between a teaser and a trailer? In the BLACK panther 2 thread the self-labeled teaser trailer is like 2 minutes long. That's just a trailer, no?

i think its analogous to a sentence and a paragraph of a book.

you get a feel for that particular moment. But no context

so you might get a flash of WHO is in a scene.

You might get WHERE it's set

but the WHY is left out. 

a teaser should have more questions than answers.

a trailer is "we have THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS!!!"

sometimes a teaser is just the announcement set to minimal visuals and a re-used soundtrack.

sometimes a teaser is specially shot for the purpose of teasing

IMHO, obv.

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I tend to take it as a teaser is a first look with no real or clear narrative being revealed, just a series of shots/scenes from the film with limited context. A trailer provides more narrative, gives more overt hints at concepts/plot lines etc.

The Black Panther 2 teaser was a long one and you can glean the most top level plots from it (it's Wakanda v an underwater nation, and deals with the loss of T'challa and a new Black Panther) but we've got nothing else to go on. Instead we got a feeling of the mood of the thing and some cool shots.

22 minutes ago, SeanR said:

i think its analogous to a sentence and a paragraph of a book.

you get a feel for that particular moment. But no context

so you might get a flash of WHO is in a scene.

You might get WHERE it's set

but the WHY is left out. 

a teaser should have more questions than answers.

a trailer is "we have THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS!!!"

sometimes a teaser is just the announcement set to minimal visuals and a re-used soundtrack.

sometimes a teaser is specially shot for the purpose of teasing

IMHO, obv.

I remember that T2 teaser being at the beginning of the Total Recall rental VHS. I didn't even know they were making T2 so it was bloody amazing at the time.

Just to not be as sarcastic as I was with @Garwoofoo last night. 

Secret wars - we don't know what this is going to be about.  It could be the 80's comic series where the beyonder transported most of Earth's capes and villans to a planet for a big fight, or it could be the Hickman one where the multiverse explodes and it's all crazy versions of our heroes and villains fighting it out. 

Secret Invasion -  Skrulls the shapeshifters are here on Earth as seen in Cap Marvel, but who is a Skrulls and who isn't.  

Armour wars is about a war between those who have versions of Starks armour. 

Ironheart is about Riri Williams (being introduced in Wakanda Forever)  who in the comics makes her own Iron Man armour. 

12 hours ago, Harsin said:
  Hide contents

It’s more likely to be Zemo and the Aldi-brand versions of heroes they’ve been introducing who are getting hired by Elaine from Seinfeld. Knock-off Captain America played by Kurt Russell’s son. Black Widow’s sister. And whatever others they introduce.

I think this is the film I’m most looking forward to. TF&WS was patchy but it had the most interesting ideas of the recent MCU. Yelena and John Walker are two of the best new characters and Daniel Bruhl’s Zemo still has lots of potential (though I wasn’t keen on the episode he was in). I like what little we’ve seen on Julie Louis-Dreyfus as well. I assume they’ll get some old-fashioned Iron Man armour in there as well. 

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

I'm interested to know who will actually be in the 'full' Avengers films, as there are so many characters being introduced that are competing for a slot.

I think there’s a few ways the could go with this:

Option 1 would be to have analogues for the original team, so Sam as Cap, Riri as Iron Man, Kate as Hawkeye, Yelena as Black Widow, then maybe original Thor and Banner to provide some continuity with the original team? 

Option 2 would be to have the new core team made up of whoever has the most experience and is still heroing about in the MCU. So Thor, Cap, Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man. Maybe Bucky?

Option 3 would be to just pick the coolest characters who might make for an engaging narrative.

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

You know, there is the option of not watching them and instead doing something else that you're actually interested in...

Don't be silly, how will people continute to criticise and hate them if they don't give their money and time to the machine first.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

Option 1 would be to have analogues for the original team, so Sam as Cap, Riri as Iron Man, Kate as Hawkeye, Yelena as Black Widow, then maybe original Thor and Banner to provide some continuity with the original team? 

Option 2 would be to have the new core team made up of whoever has the most experience and is still heroing about in the MCU. So Thor, Cap, Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man. Maybe Bucky?

Option 3 would be to just pick the coolest characters who might make for an engaging narrative.

Plus She-Hulk. Guess she could fit under option 3.  

9 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't know what it is (maybe it's the fact that the story as it was all got tied up in end Endgame? Maybe the newer movies have all been a little duff? The TV stuff all feeling like a smattering of nothing teasers for bigger stuff to come?) but I've pretty much lost interest in Avengers: Neverending Corporate Roadmap. I'll end up watching a lot of it, I'm sure - but it's not going to be opening weekend excitement for me at least. Nor cinema at all for a lot of it, either.

totally how I feel.

Phase 4 has been a massive failure. Phase 5 looks like shite of the highest order. The Disney plus series are generally stretched to fuck. Booooring.

However I would probably lap up another Spider-Man, last one was awesome. 

maybe Sony were right way back when , marvel may well be Spider-Man and nothing else. Maybe they just got lucky with Robert downy junior being totally watcheable across most of the films.

if I were Disney, I would double down on Spider-Man and his amazing friends ……ice man , fire star etc. crossover with xmen a bit. Take my money

i think they need to tweak the style a bit, maybe everyone is bored of the reality and want a bit of escapism , what about going to town on the xmen cartoon style ?? Bright yellow colours. 

1 hour ago, krenzler said:

Plus She-Hulk. Guess she could fit under option 3.  

Yelana, Kate Hawkeye, Tatiana team up to find Ritter and Ms Marvel. shenanigans ensue.

6 hours ago, Broker said:

Option 4: The fractured multiverse allows them to have all the incursions create a ‘Kang Dynasty’ with all the previous actors from the popular franchises coexisting in Kangs Battleworld. So expect RDJ, Hugh Jackman, Chris Evans, CGI Boseman, Spider-Men etc. to all show up for a big scrap at the end, then everything can settle on the New MCU, where they can recast the popular characters for a new slate of movies a few years after with no continuity issues. 

2 hours ago, sid said:

totally how I feel.

Phase 4 has been a massive failure. Phase 5 looks like shite of the highest order. The Disney plus series are generally stretched to fuck. Booooring.

However I would probably lap up another Spider-Man, last one was awesome. 

maybe Sony were right way back when , marvel may well be Spider-Man and nothing else. Maybe they just got lucky with Robert downy junior being totally watcheable across most of the films.

if I were Disney, I would double down on Spider-Man and his amazing friends ……ice man , fire star etc. crossover with xmen a bit. Take my money

i think they need to tweak the style a bit, maybe everyone is bored of the reality and want a bit of escapism , what about going to town on the xmen cartoon style ?? Bright yellow colours. 

The same Sony trying to convince us we need Venom, Morbius, Kraven and Maddam Webb films without Spider-man? I'm not sure they have much to offer in the creative front baring lending Spider-man to Disney. Everything in Phase 4 is still better than Sonys last 3 live action outings.

I think calling Phase 4 a massive failure is rather hyperbolic. It had a very strong act to follow and just hasn't lived up to that, but will Disney care if the films are still hitting close to £1bn? Doubtful. But maybe they do need to be careful, because if they continue to put out middling to poor films they'll soon start to care if numbers drop. I doubt that'll happen though, as evidence by this place, people still seem to be watching even when they say they don't like the stuff.

On the TV though, I've really enjoyed all the TV stuff other than F&WS. 6 episodes seems to be the right length too. When Netflix shows were 13 episodes there was some proper filler stuff.

I've found the films to be average but the TV to be fun, experimental and a hit. I don't think anythings been a "failure" though.

take Spider-Man out of it -

Black widow

shang chi

Eternals

thor love and thunder

fucking hell that’s a terrible line up in any way you want to cut it.

the only decent one is dr strange

multiverse of madness and that didn’t set the world on fire. 

On the series side of it, if you bounced of Loki and Wanda, I feel like you are missing out on the wider world building…..which is why I haven’t watched dr strange yet I guess.

I can’t help but think Disney plus has fucked it right up in that regard…..anyone not consuming the series maybe feel like they are not keeping up……when in the past the films were pretty high quality bar and essential viewing really . All the way until end of season 3