MCU Phase 4 and beyond - Spidey to stay in the MCU! (warning: Endgame and Far From Home spoilers)

Pob

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I watched the rest of it, and it does end rather nicely. I just really didn't like the classic James Gunn humour of 

Spoiler

Drax and Mantis being colossal dicks with Kevin Bacon when they find out he's just an actor. 

James Gunn isn't quite as funny as he thinks he is. GotG 1 is still the best and funniest, because that had Nicole Perlmam working on the script. 

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Unexpected new characters introduced by Guardians Holiday Special.

Reveal hidden contents

GoBots are real!

I saved up tokens from a cereal packet offer on a GoBot and saved up for postage. It took forever to arrive.  When it did, it was shit. Still smarts 30odd years later. Fuck GoBots.  

Spoiler

Go Drax!

I really enjoyed it, thought it was a lot of fun. But then again I've enjoyed all the stuff involving the Guardians in the MCU. Drax and Mantis are just a great double act though. 

However I hope we get more of an arc from Drax in Guardians 3 rather than bumbling oaf. The recent GOTG game managed to mix that side with a more serious and somber side really well. I wanna see that with MCU Drax.

16 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I was disappointed that we'd lost the angry, scary and vengeful Drax between GOTG 1 and 2. He seemed to just transform into a laughing idiot and has been that way ever since.

He does the idiot well, but there needs to be more about him in the next film. There's way more to him and his backstory that the films have barely scratched the surface of.

46 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I was disappointed that we'd lost the angry, scary and vengeful Drax between GOTG 1 and 2. He seemed to just transform into a laughing idiot and has been that way ever since.

I wish he'd had a direct confrontation with Thanos at the end of Endgame, instead of being relegated to the background battles. He's one of several characters who has a personal grudge against Thanos, who it would be very satisfying to see get a moment of revenge against him. 

It was right that Wanda got her bit against him, and that the killing blow ultimately went to Iron Man.

But Captain Marvel's fight is more there as a cool bit to show off her power level, rather than because she's got any personal link to Thanos. So IMO from a character arc point of view, it would have been better to see a character with a direct grudge against him fight him one on one.

Nebula would fit, but her story is nicely resolved by focusing on the stuff with Past!Nebula and Past!Gamora. So that leaves Hulk (after his defeat at the start of Infinity War), and the character who was originally introduced hating Thanos more than almost anyone else: Drax.

But then, it's hard to imagine how everyone who deserved to fight him one on one could have done so without it feeling like they were each queuing up to repeat Wanda's bit! "Oh here's another character who gets to have their revenge against Thanos, but isn't allowed to completely defeat him because we're saving that for Iron Man!"

33 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I wish he'd had a direct confrontation with Thanos at the end of Endgame, instead of being relegated to the background battles. He's one of several characters who has a personal grudge against Thanos, who it would be very satisfying to see get a moment of revenge against him. 

It was right that Wanda got her bit against him, and that the killing blow ultimately went to Iron Man.

But Captain Marvel's fight is more there as a cool bit to show off her power level, rather than because she's got any personal link to Thanos. So IMO from a character arc point of view, it would have been better to see a character with a direct grudge against him fight him one on one.

Nebula would fit, but her story is nicely resolved by focusing on the stuff with Past!Nebula and Past!Gamora. So that leaves Hulk (after his defeat at the start of Infinity War), and the character who was originally introduced hating Thanos more than almost anyone else: Drax.

But then, it's hard to imagine how everyone who deserved to fight him one on one could have done so without it feeling like they were each queuing up to repeat Wanda's bit! "Oh here's another character who gets to have their revenge against Thanos, but isn't allowed to completely defeat him because we're saving that for Iron Man!"

I guess they could have done similar to Infinity War with multiple heroes attacking him all at the same time or just had Nebula, Hulk, Drax all get a couple of shots in then move to Wanda, etc.

Still - maybe Drax will still get proper revenge on people who killed someone close to him in GOTG3 (Holiday special spoiler)

Spoiler

GOTG vs the actual Gobots and not a bloke dressed up as one 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2022 at 13:59, Thor said:

Made it halfway through the GotG Holiday Special before turning it off. Shite. 

I envy you. I watched it all and it gets worse.

Spoiler

It didn't even redeem itself with Kevin Bacon doing some Footloose action, instead he does a terrible "tonight Matthew I'm going to be Bryan Adams" song.

Almost as bad as Eternals, with its only positive quality being that it's 45 minutes long.

It gave the impression that the writer/director is so far up his own arse he's pretty much inside out.

• 3 weeks later...

Critical but stable is a nonsense oxymoronic term, but a scary one. It couldn’t have been at much speed and they required an air ambulance?

There’s all sorts of speculation going about, but it’s interesting the BBC don’t seem to have touched it yet.