The Unofficial Pre-E3 2018 Hype Thread

21 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Polygon have some rumours

I feel we’ve heard those Microsoft ones from enough places there’s probably some fire for all the smoke, even though it’s tripling down on their strategy of reliving the glory days that literally hasn’t worked so far.

MICROSOFT WILL TRIPLE DOWN ON XBOX FRANCHISES:

HALO, FORZA AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF GEARS OF WAR

:(

Sigh, I hope there's also *something* else

Nah, that polygon article has to be bollocks. It’s just someone who hasn’t got a clue speculating about some obvious titles. They’re always going to show Halo 6, Forza Horizon 4 and a new Gears, but they’ll definitely have a load of other stuff as well. They’ve got everything else in place now, so they’ll be concentrating on games. Why else have a 2 hour conference?

34 minutes ago, JPL said:

Nah, that polygon article has to be bollocks. It’s just someone who hasn’t got a clue speculating about some obvious titles. They’re always going to show Halo 6, Forza Horizon 4 and a new Gears, but they’ll definitely have a load of other stuff as well. They’ve got everything else in place now, so they’ll be concentrating on games. Why else have a 2 hour conference?

If it's a conference packed with tried and tested franchise sequels, I'd really be prepared to stick a fork in MS's first party output this gen. That would be hugely depressing.

The latest slab of wishful thinking just landed on my FB feed:

34140923_437448110051210_667637513518579712_n.thumb.jpg.810c9a7c68da1c41a5b0a4e2900e9c29.jpg

Why did they have to use Vanquish 2 to tease me with? If that's announced, I'll be running round the house fists pumping the air until the end of the show.

Oh jeez, I am so excited everytime I see this thread get bumped. E3 genuinely fills me with the sort of anticipation and glee I used to get as a kid around christmas time!

15 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

As someone who couldn't care less about shared online grinders - I thought all the disappointed Destiny 2 players went to Monster Hunter World?

I think some did, but there's a lot of us who aren't really into that idea who are just floating about missing Destiny.

2 hours ago, ronin said:

Vanquish 2 was rumoured to be exclusive to xbox a while ago

But at least this makes a release of V2 more likely to be true

After MS absolutely fucked Platinum over Scalebound I very much doubt any Vanquish 2 would be exclusive to Xbox.

And the game appearing on that very obviously fake list does not make it more likely.

3 hours ago, Pob said:

Oh blimey not already. I’ve not even started Origins yet. 

I know. Don't they ever learn? You can't produce huge games of that scale year after year and expect any kind of progress or quality.

22 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I know. Don't they ever learn? You can't produce huge games of that scale year after year and expect any kind of progress or quality.

It’s not like it’s all the same development team, though I suppose you’ll have some of the massive numbers of outsourced staff creating art who might flip from one to the other.

its more likely than not that it’s been in development as long as origins at the point of release.

Gee whizz mister if those are in-game visuals then sign me up! (I'm not a graphics whore but I do like me some AAA production values)

EDIT:

1. A New Trailer
That’s right, we’re delivering an unseen trailer that delves into the dangerous world of Anthem. You’ll get a glimpse into the story, characters, and monsters that bring the game to life.

2. More Gameplay
Last year we showed off some of the core gameplay that you can expect from Anthem – flying, fighting, and of course, collecting loot. And this year we’re happy to show off some more. Tune in to see it all.

3. Deeper Combat Showcase
One thing we’ll be showing in-depth this time around is combat. The power of the Javelin exosuit will be on full display as players take on the most ferocious enemies seen yet.

4. Developer Insights
The dev team at BioWare has been hard at work, and now they’re ready to show it off in-person. Hear some of the guiding principles that have shaped the development of Anthem as BioWare General Manager Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mark Darrah, and Lead Writer Cathleen Rootsaert take the stage.

5. A Look Behind The Curtain
Along with hearing from the developers themselves, we’ll be showing off some of the concept and production art of Anthem. You’ll get a chance to see the craftsmanship that has built this incredible world from the ground up.

Be sure to tune in right at 11 a.m. PDT so you won’t miss a minute of this momentous live event.

Directly after the show, head back to the Anthem homepage for even more news and game features. As we get closer and closer to the release of Anthem, the homepage will be your source for details about the world of Anthem.

18 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

If it's a conference packed with tried and tested franchise sequels, I'd really be prepared to stick a fork in MS's first party output this gen. That would be hugely depressing.

The latest slab of wishful thinking just landed on my FB feed:

34140923_437448110051210_667637513518579712_n.thumb.jpg.810c9a7c68da1c41a5b0a4e2900e9c29.jpg

Why did they have to use Vanquish 2 to tease me with? If that's announced, I'll be running round the house fists pumping the air until the end of the show.

Snake Eater remake!

21 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I guess I'm saying that because of the muted reaction to Destiny and Destiny 2 as a genre flagship, that whole genre hasn't really been as big a hit as it should be and new games will have more to prove. While I'm sure there's an appetite for "Destiny 2, but better" I'm also sure that when they started Anthem they were hoping shared world shooters would be a blockbuster genre and they could glide in on that pre-existing goodwill like blockbuster FPSes used to.

What exactly was your benchmark for success in this instance? The original Destiny was the biggest new IP launch at the time, it generated substantial levels of revenue and has sold enough for Activision to keep throwing ever more people at the problem. The other major entry into this particular sub-genre by Ubisoft did well enough too for them to greenlight a bigger, better, more sequel ASAP. Seems more of a point of view problem than an actual problem on the ground at this point in time.

If Destiny 3 and The Division 2 both fall off a cliff, then you can call time on this sub-genre, but I think the current evidence for its failure is a bit weak. In terms of BioWare games, the bar isn't actually that high as far as sales go, so merely matching the success of the current competition would be a big step up for that developer as far as commercial success goes.

22 minutes ago, mushashi said:

What exactly was your benchmark for success in this instance? The original Destiny was the biggest new IP launch at the time, it generated substantial levels of revenue and has sold enough for Activision to keep throwing ever more people at the problem. The other major entry into this particular sub-genre by Ubisoft did well enough too for them to greenlight a bigger, better, more sequel ASAP. Seems more of a point of view problem than an actual problem on the ground at this point in time.

If Destiny 3 and The Division 2 both fall off a cliff, then you can call time on this sub-genre, but I think the current evidence for its failure is a bit weak. In terms of BioWare games, the bar isn't actually that high as far as sales go, so merely matching the success of the current competition would be a big step up for that developer as far as commercial success goes.

I’m thinking relative to Halo 2 and the umpteen bad sci-fi FPSes that drafted off it, but you’re right that this seems like a ridiculous benchmark for age and irrelevance if nothing else.

I think Halo 2 probably sold less than Destiny did overall though :P

Part of the problem for this sub-genre is that it's so manpower intensive you can only really make one per megapublisher, the top 3 Western publishers will each have an entrant, which only leaves the smaller competition not competing for the prize, plus the obvious problem of there only being so many people who can find the time and money to invest in so many online-centric games.

4 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

This been posted yet?

1527795043981.jpg

This is probably real. It's just about boring enough with an indie game, easy ports and some actual logos, and rating boards have inadvertently leaked Fornite Switch.

3 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

This is probably real. It's just about boring enough with an indie game, easy ports and some actual logos, and rating boards have inadvertently leaked Fornite Switch.

Yeah, but far from complete. There's no SSB Switch, MP 4, or Travis Strikes Again. And there's bound to be at least one megaton - I hope.