Lovecraft Country - HBO

It's best to think of this as being a sort of weird Twilight Zone anthology type show, only with the same characters and an overarching plot. No episode follows the same format or even genre, really, other than broadly being "horror". This means some bits work better than others but when you realise this and stop trying to find any kind of internal logic or consistency and just embrace it for what it is, it gets a lot more fun.

I thought the latest episode was great. It was bizarre to the point where my wife and I actually laughed in shock at a couple of bits, but I think it was really brave to do what it did and it all looked stunning.

I agree about the anthology show point. Every episode takes things to a different genre and a mostly self contained story, just with small things to tie them all together. I'm guessing it'll get more arc heavy for the last couple of episodes though, which will be a bit of a shame. Not everything has worked for me so far, but it's really good when it does work.

Episode 7 was a solid hour of what the actual fuck. I admire that immensely.

Despite the utter madness at times, and shiteness at others, I’ve really enjoyed this on the whole, but at the same time I can’t really recommend the show to anyone.

It's starting to feel like an incoherent compilation of scenes with a dodgy audio mix for the dialogue.

It's got genuinely interesting moments, but I'm just as likely to think it's going to be a bit shit as it is to be genuinely good at this point.

I'll watch it to the end though because that's what I do. I don't care what happens though.

On 28/09/2020 at 21:52, cassidy said:

Can’t believe anyone thought that went nowhere. Has no one had their dreams or abilities crushed and forced to hide deep inside them? And I say that as someone who can’t even comprehend the level to which black women never get their opportunity to let their abilities and knowledge thrive. 

Thought it was slow to start but once Hippolyta used the Machine that episode went places literally and figuratively. 

this 100 fucking percent. I thought the last ep was utterly fantastic

Question about characters in it 

Spoiler

Were the creepy girls from something in particular? I thought maybe Uncle Tom’s Cabin, with that having featured earlier in it. But looking up the characters in that, I didn’t see ones that fit, but I don’t actually know that story beyond the whole “Uncle Tom” thing. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Hide contents

Were the creepy girls from something in particular? I thought maybe Uncle Tom’s Cabin, with that having featured earlier in it. But looking up the characters in that, I didn’t see ones that fit, but I don’t actually know that story beyond the whole “Uncle Tom” thing. 

Spoiler

It was the illustration off the cover. Don't know if related to a specific character from the book and obviously it's a warped twisted version of it (as shown when Diana first sees it, then sees it change to the creepy version, then when Tic's dad picks it up and it's back to normal). 

6 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Hide contents

It was the illustration off the cover. Don't know if related to a specific character from the book and obviously it's a warped twisted version of it (as shown when Diana first sees it, then sees it change to the creepy version, then when Tic's dad picks it up and it's back to normal). 

Spoiler

It's Topsy

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hide contents

This is a pretty good explainer: https://nerdist.com/article/lovecraft-country-jig-a-bobo-topsy/

Im totally at a loss with this show now. I dont know whats going on and how it ties in. I just watch it to see what daft shit happens. 

Its a bit of a mess but compelling. 

I won't lie. I had to sleep with the bedside lamp on after that.

Those two creepy kids were like something out of a night terror, or a child's nightmare at the very least.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Im totally at a loss with this show now. I dont know whats going on and how it ties in. I just watch it to see what daft shit happens. 

Its a bit of a mess but compelling. 

I don’t get that to be honest with you, as the Main arc is writ large across the entire season. So far. 

It's the first episode that actually felt like a connected follow up the pilot to me. As if it's a show that's been touring round other writers/directors, and the old band is back together.

Meh, it had its moments, but that "music" track they used was absolute shite and fucking ruined the scene. 

edit: I checked out what it is. I get what they went for ... but it ruined the scene for me, it didn't add to it.