rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Beat Saber - 360 and 90 degree mode released

This is out in Early Access now.

Despite only having 10 songs currently, and those being heavily hit-or-miss EDM and not owning a VR headset, I think this looks really cool, and impressions are very positive, saying it's a slice of rhythm game heaven - intuitive, satisfying, well balanced, etc. So check it out.

• Upvote 2

This has been on my list since I first saw the video a few months back. Looks amazing. 

Any news on a PSVR release date?

Out today on PSVR.  Lots of new PSVR users thanks to all of the deals flying around at the moment, so hopefully this will sell well.

I managed a few quick goes before work this morning, and it's just as good as I remember.  Proper "in the zone" gaming one you get going.  Love it.

Played this for an hour this morning. It really is quite the workout and the tracking works really really well (I think this is actually helped because you are constantly moving the moves(!). I've always found that the tracking tends to go off more in games when you don't have to move them very much (and a shake tends to sort them out).

It's excellent fun, and I'm glad it didn't come out in the summer because it wouldn't have got played due to the heat! I've got as far as node 11 on Campaign and am currently stuck there as you need to move your arms to get 650m which seems very difficult while also playing the level. I skipped one node because you could only make one mistake when the arrows were disappearing and quite frankly the arrow disappearing challenges can do one.

• Upvote 2

I have it on the Rift. It’s an essential VR game and one that is an endorsement of the format as it’s just not possible without the technology. If I’m ever demonstrating  VR it’s certainly one of the games I use.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Out today on PSVR.  Lots of new PSVR users thanks to all of the deals flying around at the moment, so hopefully this will sell well.

I managed a few quick goes before work this morning, and it's just as good as I remember.  Proper "in the zone" gaming one you get going.  Love it.

What's the track list? Got a PSVR coming tomorrow and this looks ace, but might be limited by the tracks available on PS4 maybe? 

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

What's the track list? Got a PSVR coming tomorrow and this looks ace, but might be limited by the tracks available on PS4 maybe? 

Perhaps, perhaps not. A lot of the knock off tracks on PC weren’t fun to play.

Yes requires move controllers.

Had another half hour on the game and my arms are sore now. Those challenges where you need to move your arms a certain min distance are tiring, then they mix it up and force a max distance on you meaning you need to make tiny movements. Brilliant ideas though.

I’ve played an hour of this so far and it’s really bloody great. I had a couple of mild tracking issues with my second Move, but nothing major. Probably I just need to make sure I’m in the optimum position and remember to check this between each track and hold Options.

• Upvote 1

You move your arms a lot, or alternatively very little. Despite me saying up thread that it’s quite the work out, it’s not a great work out, I played an hour and while my arms ache I was wearing a light jumper over a t-shirt in a comfortable temperature room and was only just on the verge of sweating by the end of that session. These were on the easier level settings.

That's good though, I found playing Dream match tennis a way better workout than Knockout Kings, as while it's not as intensive, it's a lot more fun and can played for longer periods. Beat Sabre looks like the ticket.

How come the sabres look weird in the PSVR videos I've seen? As in they don't look like the Star Wars space wands?

Yeah, the game is pretty damn great. Tracking is perfect for me, at no time did I feel I missed anything because of it. It gets pretty tough pretty quick too. It didn't take long before I was doing some weird Jedi movements. Thankfully there was nobody around.

i really hope they will release a demo in the future. I'm not currently tempted to get this at £25 but a demo may sway me 

50 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

I’m struggling with how to get 100 points for each swipe - anybody got any tips?

Clean cut swipe, right through the middle. I was getting 108/109 usually. 

1 hour ago, boybrown said:

i really hope they will release a demo in the future. I'm not currently tempted to get this at £25 but a demo may sway me 

Fuck a demo.. just buy it ;)

Seriously, it’s one of the best gaming related £25’s you are likely to spend this year.

• Upvote 3

Just played it for the last hour. It's fucking ace isn't it? Glorious, extreme, physical, rhythm action shit. Brilliant instinctive in the zone gameplay and utterly invigorating.

Yep. There's a "zone" I'm getting where I'm not just hitting the blocks but sort of Jedi-ing towards them way before they arrive, but in perfect time. It's hard to explain.

Level 11 can do one.. I can finish it but without enough “hand/arm movements” to  actually clear it. 

Whereas I've just been waving my arms around like a loon on 11 and presumably on my way to clearing the distance because I'm almost getting it, but then keep cocking it up later on in the level where it gets a bit harder.

Sweating like a bastard and my arms are aching like fuck, but I'm going back in.

EDIT

Man, I'm defeated by 11 for now. I'm already over the distance, but that end bit seems far more tricky than anything else in the game up to that point. I keep missing loads even though I've stopped the exaggerated movement. Maybe I'm just tired. That's enough for me today.

1 hour ago, U-1 said:

Level 11 can do one.. I can finish it but without enough “hand/arm movements” to  actually clear it. 

I’m stuck on a similar one slightly further on, can get well over the required score but only to about 550m of the 900 required distance wise.

Incredible game, played 3 hours of it today. Problem with PSVR at the moment is too many great games!

2 hours ago, dave7g said:

Clean cut swipe, right through the middle. I was getting 108/109 usually. 

So kinda over-swipe, more than you need to, not just a little sharp slice?

40 minutes ago, spatular said:

Yeah for the scoring, a swipe over a certain degrees (90 before and 60 after you hit the cube, watch the video) will get you 100 points, and up to 10 points extra are for hitting straight through the centre.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BeatSaber/status/992782948515622913

really enjoying this, it’s ace :D

Gottit! Thanks for the video.