Beat Saber - 360 and 90 degree mode released

I should’ve bought this sooner, what a great game. I was always a huge fan of Amplitude and Frequency, so this takes it to the next level.

I tried some custom songs, but they’re all too hard. BFG Division is just crazy!

I’m still easing myself in with easy - normal songs! The soundtrack is really good, reminds me a lot of Moog (Mighty Car Mods).

For Eurobeat fans, there’s a few songs from Initial D available. 

Now I’m going to see what I can find from the Amplitude PS2 soundtrack!

On 26/09/2019 at 00:48, spatular said:

dlc next week! Panic at the disco, don’t know if I like them but will buy any beat saber dlc.

This is now out, and having listened to the tracks (all four!) it's shite. I'd not really heard much of that last band but it turns out that I had at least heard of one or two of of their songs and the tracks did actually work and weren't bad at all really. This one includes:

- The Greatest Show
- Victorious
- Emperor's New Clothes
- High Hopes

A seemingly insipid selection, but High Hopes might work well. Could just buy the first one because my daughter will demand it, although I think that whole "reimagined" Greatest Showman soundtrack is an abomination of an idea so really I'd prefer the original. 

• 1 month later...

That DLC pack is awful. They should be pushing out new songs on a regular basis not this joke of several months between. It's even worse now they've ditched the Side load stuff as the main game just doesn't do it for me.  Not sure why they have to keep going for modern songs either, get some classics licensed.

I think a lot of this is down to the size and therefore leverage of the studio. I mean take a look at this compared to Audica which has only just come out but boasts 33 licenced songs and already has a DLC pack with 5 more songs. But then Harmonix have been in the game for ages so will have all the contacts and leverage they need to be able to pull that kind of thing off. Similarly Dance Central from them featured 32 songs at launch with 6 DLC songs (although they don't seem to have put anymore out since then).

Anyone else experiencing drift with this where the screen seems to have inched a few degrees round to one side after a song? I haven’t played any other VR games in a while so don’t know if it’s just Beat Saber or all games, but it’s really annoying and only just started happening the last week or so.

It doesn’t have any way to realign the center of the screen either, so I have to turn the helmet off and on again, but after one song it’s drifting to the right again :/

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Generally you can realign the screen on the PSVR by holding down the Start/Options button for a couple of seconds. It's a bit prone to drift in general I find. Does that not work in Beat Saber?

Yeah, that does indeed work in Beat Saber as I've had to do it several times. I've not experienced the drift after one song though...

Sorry if this is a repost, but I just stumbled across a video of somebody who made a Beat Saber map for the entire audio from Shrek and held a tournament on it and it's weirdly compelling to watch

On 14/11/2019 at 16:11, Andy_Why said:

Yeah, that does indeed work in Beat Saber as I've had to do it several times. I've not experienced the drift after one song though...

Unfortunately no, it doesn’t work in Beat Saber. The drift remains where it is and it doesn’t realign the centre of the screen with where you’re looking, unlike most other games.

On 14/11/2019 at 10:38, Garwoofoo said:

Generally you can realign the screen on the PSVR by holding down the Start/Options button for a couple of seconds. It's a bit prone to drift in general I find. Does that not work in Beat Saber?

I had a freaking nightmare with drift, to the point it was unusable. But it's been fine the last few months. No idea what's changed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And as if on cue (although this must have been in the works well before the Facebook buyout) there is a new Green Day music pack that was dropped at the Game Awards last night. These include “American Idiot,” “Boulevard of Broken Dreams,” “Father of All,” “Fire, Ready, Aim,” “Holiday” and “Minority.” Also at present (at least on the quest store) this pack is 21% off.

Also in much bigger news the 360 degrees update is also out which supports the following songs!

Easy
“Beat Saber”
“Turn Me On”
“I Need You”
“Till It’s Over” (Monstercat Music Pack)

Normal
“$100 Bills”
“Commercial Pumping”
“Believer” (Imagine Dragons Music Pack)
“Origins”
“Immortal”
“Father of All…” (Green Day Music Pack)

Hard
“Legend”
“Believer” (Imagine Dragons Music Pack)
“Thunder” (Imagine Dragons Music Pack)
“High Hopes” (Panic! At The Disco Music Pack)
“Crab Rave”
“Holiday” (Green Day Music Pack)

Expert
“Country Rounds”
“LVL Insane”
“Unlimited Power”
“EPIC” (Monstercat Music Pack)
“Emperor’s New Clothes” (Panic! At The Disco Music Pack)
“Origins”

Expert+
“Balearic Pumping”
“Breezer”
“Glide” (Rocket League Monstercat Music Pack)
“Origins”
“Overkill” (Monstercat Music Pack)

EDIT: I say it's out however at present I've been able to purchase the Green Day pack however it's not showing up in game, nor is the 360 mode as I they don't appear to have actually rolled out the update to the core Beat Saber app, at least not on Quest to me yet.

Finally got a chance to try this out now, and it's fucking outstanding. Seriously adds a whole new level to the game, and to think that it's a free update is just fantastic.

I was kind of thinking they might create specific 360 degree song packs that you needed to buy but the fact that they have added them into a load of the free, and already released DLC packs is amazing. I believe they have also said they will be adding more 360 modes to songs that currently don't have them so that's a bonus as well.

360 mode is definitely not the mode you are going to be throwing new users into, but once you are happy with the mechanics it's a wonderful addition, and it's quite funny at the end of a song when you realise that you are facing in a completely different direction to the one that you thought you were. It's also a wonderful advert for tether free!

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Finally got a chance to try this out now, and it's fucking outstanding. Seriously adds a whole new level to the game, and to think that it's a free update is just fantastic.

I was kind of thinking they might create specific 360 degree song packs that you needed to buy but the fact that they have added them into a load of the free, and already released DLC packs is amazing. I believe they have also said they will be adding more 360 modes to songs that currently don't have them so that's a bonus as well.

360 mode is definitely not the mode you are going to be throwing new users into, but once you are happy with the mechanics it's a wonderful addition, and it's quite funny at the end of a song when you realise that you are facing in a completely different direction to the one that you thought you were. It's also a wonderful advert for tether free!

Oh cool, will have to try that 360 mode, I presume it isn't available for PS VR lol.

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

How did you get it? Just checked the Library and I'm not showing any updates, nothing in game to say there's a new pack either :(

I was just jumping around like a loon, bopping around, leg went one way and arm another.. managed to punch myself in the nuts :lol: Collapsed in a heap. Ah Beat Saber.

40 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

How did you get it? Just checked the Library and I'm not showing any updates, nothing in game to say there's a new pack either :(

Mine just auto updated randomly at some point today, I didn’t realise until I went into the game. Same icon (advertising the last rocket league DLC) but when in game on the home screen it has buttons for the Green day pack, 360 mode and 90 degree mode.

I had to force an update to get BS to add the 360/Green Day stuff on Quest.

360 mode is great. Very enjoyable twist (literally), but it needs waaay more tracks at Hard difficulty. There’s only 3 or 4 at the moment. And a couple from the newish shite DLC, which I didn’t buy so can’t play. The Green Day tracks are also really well mapped in the main game, with nice use of the walls.

44 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I had to force an update to get BS to add the 360/Green Day stuff on Quest.

How did you force the update? 

I need to play this now.

EDIT

Just deleted the whole thing and now downloading again to see if that works.

IT WORKED!

Just had a quick go of the update, huge new feature, I’d been hoping for something like this - you can now favourite songs which adds them to a playlist. Brilliant.

only played a few songs in 90 and 360 mode but it was fun and I was pleased it seemed to work fine on only a 2 camera rift setup.

green day pack seems good, thought it might be a bit easy but the last 2 songs step up the difficulty.

This is borderline unplayable for me now because of drift issues, which is a great shame. I don’t know why they still haven’t put in an easy way to recentre your view like tons of other VR games :/

And I have no idea why the drift has started happening in the last few months either- I’ve tried different lighting, making sure there’s no wifi interference as much as I can, reset the PS4...the only thing I haven’t tried is replacing the HDMI cables which someone online found fixed it, so that’s the last thing for me to try.