rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Beat Saber - 360 and 90 degree mode released

You are indeed correct! I did get that the wrong way round when I first typed it. 

Worth noting there's plenty of people online warning against using weighted gloves, including a few who got some pretty serious sporting injuries like tennis elbow

Put down those weighted gloves now. It's a pretty slow but steady progress depending on how much weight you use. But keep doing this and one day have permanent pain for the rest of your life in your joints.

It turns out the human body is not really designed for jerking weights back and forth really quickly

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I did wonder about that after having a go yesterday. Pretty sure I'll be fine with my current elbow supports and limiting myself to half hour sessions, and not every day. 

Good to keep in mind though

1kg on each arm? Be careful dude, your joints will feel all that quick jerking.

I've got the 0.5kg ones and I still intend to use in only short bursts (2,3 songs at most).

• Upvote 2

Hmmm, I'm sensing wisdom here. They were only a tenner so it's no big deal if I never use them. My arms did get a good workout from them though, but if using them is a slow build-up to a permanent injury ... fuck that. 

• Empathy 1

And you’re showing wisdom by not doubling down. The evidence says don’t do it. So sling them in a drawer.

Stick ID’s ‘Whatever it Takes’ on Expert if you want to get a sweat on. It’s amazingly well mapped, just played it for the first time and got through with a A. Going to have fun getting a clean run on that

I've said it before and I'll say it again; one handed mode is superb for work out! Switch dominant hand in the menus as necessary :)

• Upvote 1

I did one-handed as required in the campaign, but never really enjoyed it, just felt awkward and unbalanced. Might give it another go.

Playing a selection of tracks on Expert last night and the perceived difficulty range is huge between different tracks. Some of the ID tracks are easy enough to get through (with plenty of room for improvement), but some are almost instafail. All depends on how intuitive the beat mapping is. Anything with lots of ‘cross-overs’ just throws my brain.

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

I did one-handed as required in the campaign, but never really enjoyed it, just felt awkward and unbalanced. Might give it another go.

Playing a selection of tracks on Expert last night and the perceived difficulty range is huge between different tracks. Some of the ID tracks are easy enough to get through (with plenty of room for improvement), but some are almost instafail. All depends on how intuitive the beat mapping is. Anything with lots of ‘cross-overs’ just throws my brain.

I feel this about normal to hard ;)

I've discovered I play the first 5 or 6 songs more than any others, and struggle to managed the songs in the 2nd category (the 5 or 6 beyond the initial 10 songs) on Hard.

At this point, I think getting a perfect streak on  $100 Bills on Hard with disappearing arrows and fast music will kill me!  My current best run pushed me pretty high on the scoreboard but I still messed a couple up.

Didn't play last night due to sore knee probably from too much cycling (or Beat Saber...) for my unfit heavy body :(

Finally got paid for some freelance work meaning I could pick up the DLC! Man these songs are glorious!

I can't imagine me ever really moving on from beat saber in some form. I think the designer of it should get a nobel prize.

Here's my first attempt at warrior on Hard

• Upvote 4

That looks great. Not knowing thing one about Imagine Dragons I decided to work through the DLC in order, so I bought the Monstercat add on a few days ago. It's also very good. None of the music is anything I'd choose to listen to outside of the game, but it all works brilliantly in there - some proper corkers. Cheesy grin plastered to my face all the time I'm playing it still. Will definitely grab the ID pack after this one - I trust them to knock in out of the park on the music front (if not the campaign design front ;) ).

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

That looks great. Not knowing thing one about Imagine Dragons I decided to work through the DLC in order, so I bought the Monstercat add on a few days ago. It's also very good. None of the music is anything I'd choose to listen to outside of the game, but it all works brilliantly in there - some proper corkers. Cheesy grin plastered to my face all the time I'm playing it still. Will definitely grab the ID pack after this one - I trust them to knock in out of the park on the music front (if not the campaign design front ;) ).

Yeah, haven't tried expert yet as don't know the songs but there's clearly real work gone into the patterns. They're so satisfying.

Hard difficulty is the Imagine Dragons sweet-spot for me regarding beat mapping. Expert is a massive step up in complexity and cross-over patterns on some of the tracks - even on slow modifier my brain simply cannot process the required arm switching. Whereas I can comfortably complete Expert on every track in the first three packs (not tried much Monster Cat as I really dislike nearly every track in that pack - wish I hadn’t bought it).

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Hard difficulty is the Imagine Dragons sweet-spot for me regarding beat mapping. Expert is a massive step up in complexity and cross-over patterns on some of the tracks - even on slow modifier my brain simply cannot process the required arm switching. Whereas I can comfortably complete Expert on every track in the first three packs (not tried much Monster Cat as I really dislike nearly every track in that pack - wish I hadn’t bought it).

Angel voices expert is my absolute go to for Beat Saber!

So, in my ‘quest’ for the best BS experience I’ve ordered a set of these. Will report back when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

BFB2869F-3B75-4104-AC43-84A056945764.jpeg

I’ve just bought this on PSVR based on all the recommendations in this thread. I got the game with the Imagine Dragons pack included for about £32, seeing as all the family love their music. 

It’s properly good isn’t it?

Any tips for getting good other than just practise?

Bend your knees. Use your wrists more. Get a boogy on. Don’t play on anything below Hard. Use the mods like no fail or slow if you’re failing tracks.

• Upvote 1

On 13/07/2019 at 11:17, jonamok said:

So, in my ‘quest’ for the best BS experience I’ve ordered a set of these. Will report back when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

BFB2869F-3B75-4104-AC43-84A056945764.jpeg

These arrived yesterday (only took just over a week) and my quick review after an hour is: They're great, buy some.

Easy to put on. Very comfortable to hold, and really feel like proper handles. They are rock solid in use, no wobble at all. And yes they do improve the reach and accuracy, especially for high hits to the edges of the track.

The only tiny caveats are (1) that you can end up rotating the whole thing in your hand as you play vigorously, which rotates the controller sensors away from the cameras. My home brew solution will be to slice a little foam off the top side so my thumb can feel the flat spot. And (2) the wrist straps aren’t adjustable, which means they flap about a bit and aren’t as secure as the default set. However, I stopped noticing the straps within minutes, and you’re very unlikely to drop these or lose your grip on the foam.

Both minor issues, and I recommend these wholeheartedly.

EDIT: Ignore point 2, it does have adjustable straps I was being a dingus. All the more reason to buy them!

Flick the 

On 13/07/2019 at 18:29, Gigawatt said:

I’ve just bought this on PSVR based on all the recommendations in this thread. I got the game with the Imagine Dragons pack included for about £32, seeing as all the family love their music. 

It’s properly good isn’t it?

Any tips for getting good other than just practise?

You only need to swivel at the hip, you don't need to step aside. Just lean out the way of the walls.

Flick your wrists like a drummer rather than pivoting your whole arms.

I'm still loving the imagine dragons pack by the way. So satisfying.

• Upvote 2

I'm starting to tackle the Imagine Dragons tracks on expert. This is sloppy, and no fail mode is on but I reckon I'll have Thunder licked by the weekend

I was absolutely drowning in sweat at the end of this song, but it felt great. A good little workout. Like hot yoga 

So, as the weather turns cooler a young-at-heart man’s fancy returns to Beat Saber.

The new update, as well as supposedly improving the [Quest] tracking, also adds three new tracks (in the Extras folder). The first is straightforward enough, and I set a Hard time first crack, but the next two... fuck me, they are insane, even on Hard. Way too many notes for that difficulty level, and some brutal crossovers thrown in, which feel almost off-beat. Haven’t beaten either in vanilla Hard difficulty.

Go give them a try.

• Upvote 1

Nice warm-up challenge for Quest players:

Play the original two volumes of tracks on Normal, Fast with Disappearing Notes.

I’ve set some moderately decent scores for you.

For those that aren’t aware a new update was released yesterday. Including 6 new free tracks

Morgan Page – Reason For Living

Pegboard Nerds – Give A Little Love

PIXL – Full Charge

Slippy – Immortal

Boom Kitty – Burning Sands

Jaroslav Beck, Jan Ilavsky (ft. Mutrix) – Origins

And a colour picker for changing note and saber colours.

• Upvote 6

Apparently improved swing detection or somesuch. Just wish they’d bring out that 360 mode, and find enough optimisations to give us translucent walls on Quest.

QUEST:

So, the good news: They have added in full environmental and sabre colour customisation for all tracks, which is brilliant.

And they’ve added translucent walls (which I just asked for). Hurrah! 

The average news: Not a fan of most of the new tracks. Couple of nice ones, with nice mapping. But some of them are too ‘Monstercat’ for my tastes. Just noise to these old ears.

Still, they’re free, and a couple are good.

The bad: This version is bugged on Quest. Every track, new or old, customised or default, any difficulty, any speed, stutters a few times per track - causing misses. It’s like it’s loading in the next bit or something. Needs a patch ASAP and I’m surprised it passed QA in this state. I wonder if the transparent walls are beyond the Quest hardware after all. Lol.

got a rift so i could try custom songs, it's pretty cool, downloaded ~300 songs, the ones i've tried have been mostly good so far, it's going to take ages to even try them all! tracking is clearly better than psvr (although i never really had any big issues with tracking on psvr). rumble is disappointingly weak, didn't realise how much that adds to the game before (mods might help although they're broken at the moment afaik). 

anyone got any custom song recommendations?

and i have no friends on the rift if anyone wants to add me - tag is spatular