6 hours ago, Alex W. said:

That's the screen size of the original iPhone, so it's not that small.

I'm typing this on an iPhone SE which has a 4 inch screen and is about as small as phone gets nowadays. Sure a GBA is only 3 inches and that was fine a decade back, but they didn't try to cram a stick and 4 buttons there too.

Still, if they go for traditional SNK quality im sure it'll be fine 

5 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

One word....

Viewpoint

I assumed that it would perch on the edge of a desk and I would be kneeling on an encyclopedia to get the right height. 

19 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I'm typing this on an iPhone SE which has a 4 inch screen and is about as small as phone gets nowadays. Sure a GBA is only 3 inches and that was fine a decade back, but they didn't try to cram a stick and 4 buttons there too.

Still, if they go for traditional SNK quality im sure it'll be fine 

I have become a dinosaur.

I think it looks great, especially the mini stick that reminds me of the neogeo cd and neogeo pocket's  microswitched thumbsticks.

To be honest that stick makes me suspicious that it is a fan made hoax, since I doubt modern day snk would go to the effort of doing anything other than pump out the shittiest lowest effort thing that looks like a small aes.

7 hours ago, partious said:

I think it looks great, especially the mini stick that reminds me of the neogeo cd and neogeo pocket's  microswitched thumbsticks.

Only it's supposedly analogue because why the fuck.

On 04/05/2018 at 13:15, deKay said:

Having Magician Lord on there cancels out all the good games anyway.

I really don’t understand the hate for Magicians Lord deKay, I’m sure you’ve quantified your dislike of it before but I can’t remember why ?

8 hours ago, super_quincy said:

I really don’t understand the hate for Magicians Lord deKay, I’m sure you’ve quantified your dislike of it before but I can’t remember why ?

I wrote this on my blog:

Rubbish. Worst game ever? At this moment, it feels like it. I know it isn’t, because I’ve played worse, but it must be close.

Magician Lord is a terrible excuse for a platform shooter, where your poorly animated wizard blindly stumbles around badly designed mazey levels looking for the end boss (who is usually in the last place left to look in), whilst trying to shoot or avoid rubbish looking baddies with three frames of animation each, but failing to because it is usually impossible.

Sometimes you’ll pick up a power-up that turns you into a dragon or a ninja or some other creature drawn by a four-year old, but after two hits you lose it again, and lose it you will for the reasons given above. And I’ve not even mentioned the unavoidable deaths when you’re climbing a ladder, or when things materialise out of nowhere, with no warning, and kill you.

The best worst thing about the game is the section on the final level where you have to cross a chasm using moving platforms, only floating above you are ball monsters (I can’t tell what they actually are because of how badly drawn they are) that swoop in and knock or shoot you off the platforms or out of the sky as you try to jump across or just jump to kill them. Which you invariably can’t do because you’re too slow and the game has a stupid jump arc which seems to change randomly, so you usually miss your shot or your landing platform. Or both. Or don’t miss, but get knocked off. Even though I had infinite continues, I swear I was close to using them all up.

Actually, the best worst bit is even worse that that, and comes soon afterwards at the end boss. Yes – this is a spoiler for the end of the game, but frankly, if you can be bothered to play to the end after this slating and get past the Moving Platforms Of Hideous Gameplay, you really deserve to have the ending ruined for you.

Not only does the game suffer from the SuckySuck(TM) Bit (which you should know by now is a Boss Rush), but it also suffers from that other Irritating and Unnecessary Gaming Cliché: when the boss dies, and is dead, and you think you’ve won, but he then transforms into something else. Sigh.

And I’ve not even mentioned the terrible, terrible speech and dialogue sections: “You are great guy! You must die soon.”. No, really.

If this game were a person, I’d both punch and kick it in the face.

I'd do anything for analogue to do a nice FPGA Neo Geo with HDMI out. Their SNES really is the ultimate version of the console and I think having a Neo Geo equivalent would be amazing. This seems like fun though but it's more gimmick than practical.

official now, according to kotaku

https://kotaku.com/snk-announces-the-neo-geo-mini-will-play-40-games-1825908512?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

the japanese version construction looks cheap now. I think it's all the angles on the control panel.

international version loses the red bit, and has the grey buttons.

Is this to drive sales of both devices, for completionists, and neogeo snobs?

and can we get the two threads merged?

Why not just put the whole thing in a chunky arcade stick and hook it into the HDMI port of a TV? Instant 90s coin up in your living room. Really can't understand this mini-screen thing. It's like a corporate desk toy and looks utter shite.

For 2P you could have an HDMI in port on the arcade stick and just connect a second unit to the first.

6 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Am I wrong for preferring the simpler black 'n' grey of the International model? :blush:

I want the black and grey, but with the correct colour buttons! :quote:

41 minutes ago, Soi said:

Any word of what type of controller ports are included?

size of the device, and  the images shown, and the existance of SNK USB pads and joysticks...

suggests USB?