Dreams - It's out!

Ran

16 hours ago, choduk said:

I've just about maxed out the graphics complexity for this scene, so I'm going to have to find more economical ways of building stuff.

How does the game let you know you're at the limit then? 

3 minutes ago, Capwn said:

How does the game let you know you're at the limit then? 

It has some little coloured circles at the bottom-left. One is for graphics, one is for gameplay elements. I can't remember what the other one is. As you add and delete things in the scene it gives a reading next to it of how many percent more or less that change has made.

When I went over the limit, it allowed me to continue editing, but wouldn't let me save.

Gave them a proper go and I think this is shit loads better using moves to create. Positioning  stuff in the world much easier and making things feels far more natural. The gestures are a nice touch and work well too.

My platforming into some mashed potato from close encounters level is a bit rubbish at the moment obviously, but I feel a lot more in control now.

Just a quick recommendation. I was playing through some of the games made by other people and one of the best I've found so far is a very short game called "Panis Pot". It's a beautifully put together game with a lot of charm. You can also finish it in about 3 minutes.

Anyone else got any recommendations of things they've discovered?

Finished the tutorials, just going through the final sculpting masterclass. It's really making me think that if you're looking to make your own assets that you're really going to need those move controllers. The DS2 is fine for putting things together but when it comes to careful rotations and placement it's a bit awkward. Just sucks how expensive they are though, around $150 for me.

That's the first big dilemma I have with it (as a creator), the second and the biggest one is do I really want to be doing this? I can see myself spending hundreds of hours just making one small experience. Where as I could be spending that time (as I usually do) working on 'real' art programs, getting better at toolsets I actually use within my career in a game studio. You can't put 'Good at using Dreams' on my CV when it comes to art.

5 hours ago, Capwn said:

That's the first big dilemma I have with it (as a creator), the second and the biggest one is do I really want to be doing this? I can see myself spending hundreds of hours just making one small experience. Where as I could be spending that time (as I usually do) working on 'real' art programs, getting better at toolsets I actually use within my career in a game studio. You can't put 'Good at using Dreams' on my CV when it comes to art.

This was the impression I came away from the beta with.

It's all sufficiently complex that in the amount of time that one would need to devote to actually become good at using it and make something, I feel like you could probably be on your way to learning a skill that's applicable outside of a single piece of ps4 software.

I think there's a sweet spot for a "make your own games without coding" type program and this one is a quite a bit too complex(for me).

I'd still get it to try the things other people make, but I was disappointed by the complexity of the creation process.

Like you said, we're talking hundreds of hours, it's not a mario maker type situation where you just drag and drop stuff together.

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

As much as I am impressed by that room above, isn't it a bit basic to have maxed out the graphics? Won't that restrict what people can create?

I think it's a case of using the tools wisely when creating assets. The black bucket chair at the bottom-right uses about 11% of the graphics budget. The coffee table uses a similar amount and is made-up of just 6 cubes. I've since removed the bucket chair, reworked the coffee table, uplighter and the main light, and I've freed-up 25% of the graphics budget. Weirdly the wood-effect floor looks quite detailed and I've tiled it multiple times - it doesn't even add 1% to the scene.

You can create quite complex models that look great on their own, but eat a lot of the graphics budget when used in a bigger scene. So you need to choose wisely.

Yeah what puts me off using other assets is I don't know how they were built. I'm guessing one of the biggest culprits will be fully reflective surfaces.

5 hours ago, partious said:

This was the impression I came away from the beta with.

It's all sufficiently complex that in the amount of time that one would need to devote to actually become good at using it and make something, I feel like you could probably be on your way to learning a skill that's applicable outside of a single piece of ps4 software.

I think there's a sweet spot for a "make your own games without coding" type program and this one is a quite a bit too complex(for me).

I'd still get it to try the things other people make, but I was disappointed by the complexity of the creation process.

Like you said, we're talking hundreds of hours, it's not a mario maker type situation where you just drag and drop stuff together.

Yep. Makes me wish I was 10 again, would have loved to spend all my time on Dreams. Instead of Amiga Basic.

Agree on being a kid! I would have never seen the actual sun again if I'd had access to this.

On scene complexity I think it tends to favour instances and clever repeats. One of the Molecule devs did a sci fi scene where he'd made a Gigeresque cube and then built much of his scene using that one cube on a grid repeated and resized. It still looked ace but was obviously very optimal because there weren't hundreds of unique objects in the scene.

I'll be sure to have a watch of that tomorrow. I've just got into bed and don't want to wake my gf.

My experiments tonight indicate that if you scale your sculpts as small as you can get away with, then enlarge them within your scene, that gets the graphics thermometer numbers lower.

Larger sculpts have cleaner lines and more detail, but smaller sculpts scaled-up will go a bit fuzzier. So it's something of a trade-off.

I've got to say that now I'm getting the hang of using it, the controls have become less annoying and I'm really starting to enjoy creating things. This looks like being quite a powerful bit of software in the right hands. I've been using the dualshock so far and only watched the initial tutorial vids. I've got some Move controllers, so it may be worth doing the tutorials with those before moving to the more in-depth stuff.

I’ve just bought a second move (again) just to get the most out of the sculpting.

its quite strange coming from traditional 3D programmes to this though. A quirk I’ve found is I can’t stretch anything with the stretch tool if snap to grid is on which is a pain.

RNFetchBlobTmp_9on0y57k65u40sc4m2hg4d.thumb.jpg.aa6355a75130df15af74a3542c1c9ae1.jpg

RNFetchBlobTmp_r626zdtr6smssutsloyc.thumb.jpg.90a5928faf70ccf1993e7c89e51960ab.jpg

If anyone wants to take a look around my front room. I've been slowly recreating the assets with my own versions and have put a work in progress build up on Dreams. Search for "Front Room" and you can have a go.

I've also managed to get the graphics thermometer down to about 30% now. So plenty of room for adding more detail.

I've also put some of the assets up separately, if you want to use them in anything.

Maybe we should add "rllmuk" to the tags so that we can find eachothers creations.

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought I'd add a YouTube vid showing the additional work in progress on my front room project. I'm only just over 50% on the graphics thermometer, so still plenty of scope for additional detail to be added.

• 6 months later...

Is there a release date for this yet? Wouldn't mind having a tinker with it.

Although TBH personally think this should get a PC port too.... :) Seems a great way of rapidly prototyping ideas to pitch to others. Just downloaded Unity on the PC and I'm going to be doing a lot of learning on that!!! Something like this would be a great addition.

A few creations for November:

They've still not announced an official release date, but Media Molecule did put a tweet out yesterday stating that the Early Access will be coming to an end on 8th December. People who've already bought it will be able to continue playing, but this is your last chance (discounting any future sales) to pick it up on the cheap.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Darwock said:

This coming out at the end of the PS4s lifecycle is a massive nail in it's coffin, surely? It will need to feel 'current' to thrive...

Given that it's driven by user content, a potential audience of 100 million PS4 owners is a far greater boon than a curse.

I'm positive Dreams will come to PS5, and almost as certain we'll see it release on PC. At some point maybe they'll let you specifically create projects that don't work on a PS4 but I don't think that console's limitations are going to be the real limiting factor for several years.