rllmuk
Ran

Dreams - It's out!

If I wanted to use dreams to create a series of ‘action’ scenes (later cut together to make a short 5 min film in different software) would this be possible? 

It looks like it would be, using the ‘cutscene’ effects. Basically if want to use dreams for the animation aspect, and then add voice and sound later. 

55 minutes ago, MattKB said:

If I wanted to use dreams to create a series of ‘action’ scenes (later cut together to make a short 5 min film in different software) would this be possible? 

It looks like it would be, using the ‘cutscene’ effects. Basically if want to use dreams for the animation aspect, and then add voice and sound later. 

You can do all of that in Dreams itself.

But yes, you could record the playback via the Share button and mess with it in another program.

5 hours ago, Ferine said:

You can do all of that in Dreams itself.

But yes, you could record the playback via the Share button and mess with it in another program.

Thanks mate. I know you’re an expert by now so look out for some help requests. 

Is there a ‘time limit’ that you can create ‘movies’ for. 

So.. I ended up buying this today.

Actually pretty fun. Spent a few hours creating a 3d mario level using other creators assets ( and there are loads). 

Next step is to figure out how to trigger events. I'm guessing that's in the gadgets section but weirdly when trying this out , some of the box appeared of screen.

Taking time for me to fully get to grips with the 3d space with a joypad. Mouse and keyboard would better although I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Most the dreams I played from other people were very buggy and glitchy though. Few good ones I spent more than 60 seconds with.

Controls seem a bit laggy / off , especially when trying to make platformer levels. Also, I'm guessing this runs at 30fps? 

Looking forward to playing more though.

I went on to the PS Store to check out the Japanese title sale, came away without having purchased anything but also just realised I didn't see Dreams referenced anywhere at all. There's some kind of weird conspiracy going on - like whoever at Sony plotted the downfall of the Vita has now shifted their attention to Media Molecule... (after all, they did support the Vita very strongly through Tearaway)

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Darwock said:

I went on to the PS Store to check out the Japanese title sale, came away without having purchased anything but also just realised I didn't see Dreams referenced anywhere at all. There's some kind of weird conspiracy going on - like whoever at Sony plotted the downfall of the Vita has now shifted their attention to Media Molecule... (after all, they did support the Vita very strongly through Tearaway)

I'm going to naively assume it's going to have a hugely improved version for the PS5 and it'll be pushed very hard at that point. It almost feels like the PS4 version is the Alpha/Proof of concept. I haven't played it yet, but already it seems like MM have nailed the mechanics of the thing and there are folk producing some pretty impressive stuff. God knows how good things could be on a fully fledged PS5 version. 

I'm really struggling getting scenes to link together. I think I've done it right , but it doesnt seem to work. Placed door sensors , linked in the dream... but nothing seems to activate.

edit: also, when i put a door marker down the it looks like i need to change the arrow on the joint. It doesn't seem to work.

Annoyingly there are proper tutorials for a lot of stuff, where as the linking doors section is a video only.

It's so dope tho, like for reals bro. Ad nauseam yo.

Cracking bit of Monkey Ball / Marble Madness though.

I picked this up and some of the stuff folk have created is mindblowing. I haven't yet managed to create anything because it's taken me almost a week to play through Art's Dream so far. It's absurdly long. I should have realised this when it was described as "Movie Length".

I doubt I'll make much of worth once I get a handle on it but I'm looking forward to giving it a go all the same.

Yeah, it's crazy how good some levels/games already look. I mean, there's tons of janky stuff as well and all those versions of familiar IP that I don't find very interesting, but stuff like Spherical, Pip Gemwalker, The Pilgrim, Haus of Bevis, Ruckus and Little Pier Simulator is very impressive.

Easy Allies review:

Not really followed this game before reading the last few pages of this thread and watching videos. Is there a possible future where people not so technically minded are able to make the small scale game they're always wanted to? The Frequency where you can play any track you have. The Gta that returns to the vibe of 3. A pure kart racer with long narrow twisty corners. A fighting game that isn't based on something decades old. A FPS that returns to the formula of Goldeneye. An adventure racing game with dinosaurs and leaping into volcanoes that uses a peculiar and iconic funny looking car. A run and gun co op shooter based on set pieces. A first person zombie horde game without a horrific HUD, where every time you play it's new, new maps made every week. You move from area to area instead of round and round; the excitement being extinguished with every attempt. Cod Zombies is still great potentially, playing a new map, opening doors, not knowing anything, wondering how big it is is outstanding. You want to figure out the parameters, the spots, the secrets. Get better with each turn. It's kind of inadvertently retaining the formula of linear games of the past, where you're restricted and survive, rather than everything being endlessly open world and then it feeling pointless. A sci fi racer that doesn't just mimic what Wipeout established a decade ago as now the norm. All F Zero fans living in perpetual agony, might we get a sci fi racer with its 30 racers online, just in a different way. 

The racing genre is one in dire need of resurgence, and still goes wanting. Cutesy platformers are everywhere. 

There's always a professionalism in games that for me snuffs out what's so interesting about user created levels. You're getting something personal that was created for its own sake, that wasn't produced to meet a demand. You get true freedom, absurdity in ideas, a looseness. Half of it is being impressed by what's possible. It's like when people didn't get GTA 3; why would I play a game with poor parts of other dedicated games? The irony being once the shooting was improved the game leant so heavily on it, sections stretched out past the point of severe boredom, but which still couldn't match proper shooting games, so the brief awkward deviations of the originals that contributes to the whole sense of freedom was when it excelled. 

Being able to use assets others have made is incredible isn't it ? The open source community of the internet applied to the console. There are gaps all over videogames. People who reckon if you're a gamer nowadays there's something for you aren't appreciating the little things that matter. There's unfulfilled dreams all over the world. You allow people the means, you get all sorts. 

• Upvote 1

I probably wouldn't even be "playing" this if it wasn't for the account you can share assets. BIG deal breaker for me.

However, i do the tutorials and quite easily forget a lot of the more difficult ones (ie logic). :(

I have used a similar program to this in the past on PC and it does help somewhat but still , working in a 3d enviroment is tricky and i as good as the joypad controls are - sometimes i just wish for mouse and keyboard support.

Firstly, this is an absolutely astounding piece of software.

However...

I started going through the create tutorials and just gave up. It is so off-putting wrestling with a Dualshock 4 with unintuitive button combos mixed with moving the camera with analogue sticks and then adding motion controls on top to move your cursor/Imp (where the cursor/Imp keeps drifting and has to be recentred constantly) to move/rotate/resize items, paint, etc. It's just bleeurgh. Horrendous. How people are creating such amazing things is beyond me.

PLEASE Sony/MM add mouse and keyboard support or port Dreams to PC.

I also don't want to spend precious time learning this toolset (handicapped/frustrated by the controller) and then spend precious time/effort creating something of worth and then find out the audience has disappeared because everyone has moved to PS5/got bored/whatever and there will also be no way to keep/play/save what you have created because (I assume) it's all on their servers which will be switched off in 3 years time probably.

What is the closest thing to this on PC anyway? Unity?

Pewdiepie did a video of Dreams and seems to have given it a lot more exposure..

12 hours ago, AI1 said:

Firstly, this is an absolutely astounding piece of software.

However...

I started going through the create tutorials and just gave up. It is so off-putting wrestling with a Dualshock 4 with unintuitive button combos mixed with moving the camera with analogue sticks and then adding motion controls on top to move your cursor/Imp (where the cursor/Imp keeps drifting and has to be recentred constantly) to move/rotate/resize items, paint, etc. It's just bleeurgh. Horrendous. How people are creating such amazing things is beyond me.

PLEASE Sony/MM add mouse and keyboard support or port Dreams to PC.

I also don't want to spend precious time learning this toolset (handicapped/frustrated by the controller) and then spend precious time/effort creating something of worth and then find out the audience has disappeared because everyone has moved to PS5/got bored/whatever and there will also be no way to keep/play/save what you have created because (I assume) it's all on their servers which will be switched off in 3 years time probably.

What is the closest thing to this on PC anyway? Unity?

I felt the same well - but honestly, after 10 hours or so the controls are not that bad. It's still awkward at times but it's not as bad as I was expecting.

However, i to would prefer mouse and keyboard support.

Dreams has got a 10 year plan, so i don't expect it to go away anytime soon - no doubt this will also come to Ps5 (and work a LOT better better i expect). There possibly might be a PC coming too - i'd definitely be up for that.

I am thinking of getting this but...

I've already seen some incredible games where the makers should really be paid for what they've produced.

One way around this would be in-built functionality to donate to the creators with PSN credit maybe? Although I guess there's only so much a person might want to spend on PSN. I dunno, just seems like good creators are getting rinsed here.

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I am thinking of getting this but...

I've already seen some incredible games where the makers should really be paid for what they've produced.

One way around this would be in-built functionality to donate to the creators with PSN credit maybe? Although I guess there's only so much a person might want to spend on PSN. I dunno, just seems like good creators are getting rinsed here.

Why?  Yes, some of what’s being put out is incredible, but why does everything have to be monetised?  Can’t the pleasure of creating be enough at the moment? Nobody’s getting rinsed!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, sammy said:

Why?  Yes, some of what’s being put out is incredible, but why does everything have to be monetised?  Can’t the pleasure of creating be enough at the moment? Nobody’s getting rinsed!

For some, yes.

For the truly excellent games, you're talking design expertise, talent and a huge time commitment. That's called work. Sure, it can be enjoyed and the result delivered to consumers out of generosity or for "exposure" but it's still work that is worth something and, admittedly to a very limited degree, undercuts creators using open platforms.

Let's say you spend 3 years working on a magnum opus in Unity, you release it and get 100,000's of interactions and raise a decent chunk of money to allow you to reinvest in your next project full-time. Spend the same amount of time working in Dreams, and you might get 1000's of interactions within the Dreams eco-system, but Sony owns what you've produced and you receive nothing but clicks. Now, I imagine there may be a way around this eventually, but it still seems like a deterrent to learning this software over something else.

All I'm saying is it would be nice if Sony had implemented an option to offer some sort of financial incentive for people who bring their talent and creativity to this platform. If I spend a couple of hours playing a gorgeous Ico-like, then I wouldn't begrudge donating a fiver to the creator.

• Upvote 1

I see what you're saying but ultimately if you invest your time in Dreams you are doing so with the explicit understanding that you're engaging in something focused on sharing and community.

No one has to use it and whether you spend 1 hour or 10000 hours creating content you do so in the knowledge that the only incentive is to please and express yourself.

• Upvote 1

I doubt that any of the people contributing to Dreams are doing so as a career choice.

Eeee, it’s like someone depth-sorted a vr  video, and used it build a model of the same, kind of like that old Microsoft demo...