rllmuk
Ran

Dreams - It's out!

Is this the same as Mario Maker in that it's full of dross and very difficult to get people to actually play your levels?

22 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Aside from the lack of dynamic lighting, wind effects etc, these are genuinely photo-realistic graphics (at least at this resolution - up close the leaves have that clay effect). How? Absolutely crazy this was done in Dreams on PS4. What's ray tracing?

On 29/03/2020 at 21:51, Jamie John said:

Is this the same as Mario Maker in that it's full of dross and very difficult to get people to actually play your levels?

It's been a little disheartening so far. Weeks of work on my game so far (posted on the previous page), and currently on 232 thumbs up, with 650 plays, by 624 people after roughly 3 days  (which tells me most people aren't replaying it to do better, they're just moving onto the next thing).

It is slowly going up, but then I'll see utter shite topping the new trending dreams list, that has a couple of thumbs up, so not really sure what's going on with their algorithm. Closest to the top of trending I got was about 6th, but that was short lived. Didn't take long for a load of Mario and Sonic guff to overtake.

What's particularly strange, is the number of players in my leaderboards is way lower than the thumbs up I've got, so people are having a go, quitting out and liking, before they've even completed a single 3minute level :blink2: - in a game that's entirely about what you score in those 3 minutes!

Still, I'll persevere. Also, for the sake of £30, I'd highly recommend it - I've played plenty that's been worth the entry price, and as time goes on you'll see more and more polished offerings.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 3

I just wanted to share the latest set that I've created. It's inspired by a small section of Half Life : Alyx that I saw in a playthrough the other day.

I made the tiled walls and floor, plus the moulded seats and the lighting/ceilings. All of the set dressing is pulled from other creators in Dreams.

• Upvote 9

34 minutes ago, choduk said:

It's inspired by a small section of Half Life : Alyx

Before reading your post I saw the preview still and instantly thought that looks like Half Life Alyx. :)

Also on sale at £24.99

I think it's a great tool but it's too complicated for most people.

The available games also are pretty trash. Maybe 1 out of every 30 is worth playing for more than 10 minutes.

Must admit I got a bit sick of running out of resources so often when creating stuff. Also , the platformer mechanics were just plane bad. Maybe they can be improved but still.

39 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I think it's a great tool but it's too complicated for most people.

Not one the kids will enjoy then?

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Not one the kids will enjoy then?

The world building side of it is great. It's easy to use pre existing assets to make stuff , there are templates for different types of games and well , you can remix other peoples dreams into a game of your own. They will have fun with that I'm sure. However the logic side of things is quite difficult to get your head around..  it requires a lot of training to get the most out of it.

• Upvote 1

The kids played the demo & we decided to get this in the end just for the sheer fun they were having playing the creations that other players have created.

Just managed to get a free copy of this through the videogame giveaway for NHS workers, I was surprised to see something I'd actually heard of! I'm looking forward to giving it a try over the weekend. 

EDIT: So it looks like it was a code for the free trial version! :doh:

• Empathy 1

On 01/05/2020 at 14:24, Qazimod said:

This has a demo now, although from the description it sounds like it's a bundle of playable creations, rather than a limited set of editing tools...

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP9000-CUSA04301_00-DREAMS0000000000

Yeah, you get access to the onboarding tutorial that teaches you the motion controls (and talks to you like you're a precocious ten year old), a handful of Mm-curated levels and a few bits of Art's Dream (a cutesy platformer bit, a point-and-click adventure bit, and another cutesy platformer bit). I still have no idea whether the creative part is something I would enjoy digging around in or twiddle with for five minutes and immediately feel overwhelmed by.

VR update is out today. I'm just about to leap in an give it a go.

• Upvote 1

Had a go on the Mm authored VR stuff and it's pretty good. A few cool mini games and some nice as sculptures to gawp at. Graphics hold up surprisingly well in VR

Is this worth picking up if I have no real enthusiasm for making anything myself? I just want to see what the actually talented people have been putting together.

Edit: Also no VR. Makes me vom.