Dreams - It's out!

Ran

• 4 months later...

Just got this at base for £16. Never played a media molecule game before. While the opening tutorial is neat I did just want to get into the game proper, I have low tolerance for motion control when you're trying to do the simplest thing. 

I don't actually expect anything substantially engaging, like with Trials I just like the variety. I don't know what I'll come across. So far I've played a cool pixel 2d sidescrolling metroid-like shooter with addictive music and a freshness to its design, a photoreal horror game with shiny walls, a 1910 racer around New York with L shaped corners and lots of crashing, actual explosion crashing (also wonderful music), a scaletrix racer, a Ratchet and Clank skinned jet pack shooter, and now Ummy Kart which us like Sunny D in game form. 

The navigation is a total nightmare though. And what's with the made in dreams stamp in the corner. 

No 'kart' tag available too. But searching kart in the search brought me to Bloodborne Kart. Horse and carriage foggy racer. I've never played Bloodborne but stuff like this I find amusing.

I don't get the impression when  browsing there's that much available really, many games with only a couple hundred thumbs up surprises me given its sales. I expect kids in lockdown to be all over it really. Even the highest rated games, picked by media molecule pushed to the front are only around 15,000 thumbs up, which seems low to me. 

Played Tectonic, the Burnout/NFS-like racer with the earthquake. The creator's other game where you control a triangle through a tornado is impressive too. 

A few space shooters are good, a retro styled one is aesthetically nice but not much to it. Some Zelda stuff is very pretty....then the character moves like crap. No, I get how difficult it is. 

It's not been out long and maybe it's more complex than Trials but with that everything was covered. It's interesting just to clearly see someone's long held desire for a certain game made real. Just with Trials it was always cosmetic, people stretched the program to come up with games outside of controlling a bike going from left to right, but it not being suited for that they weren't great. With the added flexibility of this I expect all kinds of stuff. 

There a few F Zero racers (of course I searched that) that are basic. A crash kart racing where you race on a small patch of dirt. A mario kart where you race on a strip in space towards two laughing ghosts. What's weird is before you leap into the level you're outside on some grass at night controlling Mario and it's very true to Mario 64. The triple jump, run forward then backwards flip, I couldn't believe they'd got it so spot on for something that wasn't even the game. The handling of the kart on the actual game is poor, there's all these bombs planted and there's little accuracy to the handling. Most of the other 3d platformers have struggled with animation, giving weight to the character. 

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to fiddle around with this after getting it in the sale, basically just working through the tutorials and I’ve managed to put an uncanny valley waiter in to an extremely wonky dining room scene.

Why oh why do Mm still lock away a bunch of premade items for the creative side as bonuses in irritatingly difficult platform sections? I liked it okay as a thing in the all-game Tearaway but it never made sense to me in LBP and definitely doesn’t here.

• 4 months later...

What was the forum concenous on this?

It's in the sale at the moment and tempted as I liked LBP. Do you need a VR headset to get the best out it? Or does it provide a good experience without? I am only getting half of the experience if I don't have one?

It's between this and Ghost Of Tesushima. Don't to start creating another huge backlog again.... 

EDIT : Just noticed there is a demo for this! Also oddly its only £13.99 at Argos but £17.49 digital format in the Days Of Play "sale"... And £16.50 for the disk. Sony are just weird sometimes with pricing. Get Argos as they will have bulk bought disks. Surely digital should always be cheaper though. :) 

I would consider whether you are interested in the act of making things with it.

As a single player experience it is good (and absolutely mind blowing in the context of 'they made it using just the tools I am being given').

There is fun to be had surfing through all of others people content (much the same LBP) but it's mostly amateur / interesting curios.

I've not even tried the VR stuff but it was launched and ran for a long time without it so it's not an integral part of the package as far as I'm aware.

Just seen there is handily a demo of this! Downloading! Also didn't realise this got an Edge 10! 

Love creating things so hoping that I'll enjoy this. I'll probably go digital though even though it is more expensive curiously than the disk version. Odd. But really don't want disks cluttering up the place anymore.

23 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I just bought this too, £12 at CEX. Too tempting not to. Worth it to randomly surf around the user generated stuff. Anyone on here created anything?

Did the same. I was out in the city yesterday enjoying the sunshine and passed a Cex on my travels and it was there on the shelf. Really don't want disks this gen but well it was £12.

Seems the code in the box has been used as expected being pre-owned. Anyone know what content is missing?

Also anyone looking out for this Argos have it for £14 too....

On 06/06/2021 at 06:46, MattyP said:

Did the same. I was out in the city yesterday enjoying the sunshine and passed a Cex on my travels and it was there on the shelf. Really don't want disks this gen but well it was £12.

Seems the code in the box has been used as expected being pre-owned. Anyone know what content is missing?

Also anyone looking out for this Argos have it for £14 too....

Oh my. Just realised how much I now hate using discs. The noise the fact that you have to swap stuff around and store physical media. Clearly been using PC too long now. :D Just feels very old school physical media! 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...