Turn your PS3 into an intriguing emulation machine

@dumpster (or anyone), I'm having problems playing PS2 games on my Slim with CFW.

I've got Rebug, webMON etc. in place and PS3 and PS1 games works fine. I've got it set to COBRA as a boot method. The games will mount but then when I try and load them, it hangs on a black screen then the machine crashes and switchrs itself off.

It was working OK until I took the PS3 apart the other day for cleaning and such, but I don't think it's that which is causing issues. If it is, it's something obscure because games still load from HDD and the disk drive still works properly - everything bar PS2 games is perfect.  Any ideas? 

@Treble I got lost at 

4 hours ago, Treble said:

It was working OK until I took the PS3 apart the other day for cleaning

Because I can't see how that changed anything. All I can suggest is to go back through a softmod guide from the start and hope it corrects whatever has changed.  Very odd.

Good plan

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

@Treble I got lost at 

Because I can't see how that changed anything. All I can suggest is to go back through a softmod guide from the start and hope it corrects whatever has changed.  Very odd.

Good plan, yeah, I'll just do it again from scratch. 

So handy having a machine that'll play three generations of consoles, all from HDD and also supporting HD and SD resolutions so you can use a CRT and the light gun. Good stuff. 

I unmodded mine.  I think the PS3 games are too big to effectively store them on the hard drive and the PS2 and PSP emulation isn't good enough to replace my PS2 and PSTV.  So my PSTV is now my machine of choice for PS1 and PSP and Vita, PS2 has a hard drive in it, PS3 plays the games from my disk collection. I enjoyed messing with the PS3 and turning it into a fantastic emulation machine, but it's not really something I'd need to get out unless I wanted to play PS3 games.  The Wii, Switch, Vita, PSTV, all seem better solutions for retro to me .

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going back to their PS3 from a PS5 / XSX / XSS? There’s a few games from this era I’d like to play but I’m worried the loading times will kill my enthusiasm. 

the boy dipped into F1 2011 on PS3 earlier.

(and after I ripped F1 2001 to my PS2 with the 500gb hdd)

and he didn't like the sixaxis, at all, said he missed the feedback from the brakes, going into corners.

I've also got a dualshock3 as well, he's happier with that.

that was a weird old time in Sony History. A repeat of them launching the PSone dual analogue and then dualshock controllers

On 10/04/2021 at 22:20, SeanR said:

A repeat of them launching the PSone dual analogue and then dualshock controllers

think the Dual Analogue had the different modes - digital, analue and analogue joystick. The last one would make the PS1 think you were using one of the massive (and fragile) analogue joysticks you could get. Not sure why you'd want to do that, but it was definitely there on the early ones we tested with in '95.

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

think the Dual Analogue had the different modes - digital, analue and analogue joystick. The last one would make the PS1 think you were using one of the massive (and fragile) analogue joysticks you could get. Not sure why you'd want to do that, but it was definitely there on the early ones we tested with in '95.

you were testing with them in 1995?

See, it's a goddamned conspiracy to sell more pads!

40 minutes ago, SeanR said:

you were testing with them in 1995?

See, it's a goddamned conspiracy to sell more pads!

We were testing with them from day 1. There is this myth that has propagated, and has been mentioned on here a few times, that the only reason there were two sticks on the controller was so it was "one more than the N64". I can't swear to it, but I think I saw specifications for PS1 games to not support the Analogue Controllers per se, but to not go wrong if you use one, in 1994 and maybe even 1993. Certainly, when we started testing in early 1995, it was in the TRC. Which I think would be before we even saw a drawing of the N64 controller.

I was considering buying a PS3 until recently, there's a plugin called 'PS3xPad' that allows for a variety of controllers to be sync'd and used. One of the worst things about the PS3 was the gamepad, I found it really uncomfortable - had anyone has tried that plugin with a DS4 or Xbox One controller? 

9 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I was considering buying a PS3 until recently, there's a plugin called 'PS3xPad' that allows for a variety of controllers to be sync'd and used. One of the worst things about the PS3 was the gamepad, I found it really uncomfortable - had anyone has tried that plugin with a DS4 or Xbox One controller? 

DS4s are PS3 compatible already

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-02-how-to-use-a-dualshock-4-wirelessly-with-a-ps3

8 minutes ago, AlexM said:

The support via the official route is quite limited, no gyro, rumble, and limited game support. PS3xPad is supposed to be fully compatible with all features. 

sony gonna Sony...

Yeah, I have a fully BC Jpn machine that's been hacked to the moon since you needed to use an iPod Touch to run the hack, all fully up to date now mind. It's awesome but I only use it for PS3/PS2/PS1 games so no comment on its viability as an emulation device, have a PC for that.

Anyway, a little while back my DS3 started to wig out (again) and having a second unused DS4 I was chuffed to find it was backwards compatible, thus I could retire my DS3, which tbh I've never really liked, I think Sony greatly improved their joypad design with the PS4 pad.

Load of bollocks. It's a pain in the arse compatibility wise. Lots of faff and different function to what I expected. I unpaired it and repaired my DS3 instead, that common thing of the cable needing to be padded out to connect with contacts properly again.

Shame.

On 11/04/2021 at 05:29, AlexM said:

Is anyone going back to their PS3 from a PS5 / XSX / XSS? There’s a few games from this era I’d like to play but I’m worried the loading times will kill my enthusiasm. 

I am spending way more time with my PS3 at the moment..! I put an SSD in there which helps with the UI and some games. Graphics still look around switch quality (though 720p generally), sound is top notch on the home theatre, but on some games the frame rate is really poor. Loading times can be a pain but they don’t tend to hurt as much as the slightly low resolution and choppy frames. I’m enjoying Tiger Woods 14, Ridge Racer 7, and MGS IV as I never played it back in the day. Been playing PS1 physical discs on there too.

Slight ot but I was surprised to get a call from cex telling me the ps3 dualshock id sent them was a bootleg. A bootleg controller??? It was certainly a good one.  Guy said he spotted it cos the label on underside was different from a legit one.