IGNORED

Marvel's Eternals

JohnC

21 hours ago, ckny said:

Saw this the other day and can’t stop thinking about how the ending will lead to the end of all religions, no? I mean, if billions of people suddenly find out that their god is a lie things will kick off, I expect.

Then again, these are the same people who have accepted that half of all life can be extinguished in a click of a finger.

Spoiler

With a giant marble head and hand sticking out of the earth to remind them of that everyday. 

After an alien invasion, half of the population winking in/out of existence and

Spoiler

a marble Celestial sticking out of the planet

, you would of though it might effect some people. I'm overthinking it though, they'll just hand waive it away as they do in Doctor Who.

I’m also not really sure why Celestial

Spoiler

birth is planet killing? He’s not really that big. He’s a third out of the Earth when she freezes him, and has hardly caused any grief. Minor tremor or two. He’s no bigger than a few islands, maybe a small country tops, and minuscule compared to the size of the planet. Basically the scale was fucked up for what he’s meant to do. They couldn’t even get that right.

Such a fucking shit film.

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

I’m also not really sure why Celestial

Hide contents

birth is planet killing? He’s not really that big. He’s a third out of the Earth when she freezes him, and has hardly caused any grief. Minor tremor or two. He’s no bigger than a few islands, maybe a small country tops, and minuscule compared to the size of the planet. Basically the scale was fucked up for what he’s meant to do. They couldn’t even get that right.

Such a fucking shit film.

because then it eats everyone.

I quite enjoyed this in the end, in spite of its flaws. It did however take me two sittings, which definitely helped with the pacing.

It was nice to see a Marvel movie try something different, even if it didn't all work. 

16 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I quite enjoyed this in the end, in spite of its flaws. It did however take me two sittings, which definitely helped with the pacing.

It was nice to see a Marvel movie try something different, even if it didn't all work. 

Same here. I watched this over two nights as well. If I'd seen it in one sitting then the runtime might have started to grate, but... I really enjoyed it as a two parter. 

I liked it more than Shang-Chi (and I enjoyed that).

I’ll elaborate on why I liked it.

The beginning third was the weakest for me. The Deviants were bog-standard rent-a-Marvel and it was all quite plodding.

It started working for me once I realised

Spoiler

The Eternals were ostensibly the bad guys

I was also surprised that

Spoiler

a couple of them actually died

Then I was hooked more when, after they’d discovered this and decided to change course

Spoiler

Icarus turned out to be a murderous genocidal maniac.

Sprite’s 

Spoiler

treacherous Pinnochio-esque side-story also took me by surprise.

So yeah, I liked it and my god, Chloé Zhao knows how to shoot a desert/sandy beach at dusk beautifully, which also drew me in and took it away from your typical Marvel movie.

Might have helped that me and the wife watched it in three chunks due to us being unable to stay awake past 9.30 because of babies.

I'm willing to give it another viewing for the benefit of the doubt, it didn't keep me invested and I couldn't help but have it as background noise whilst I did other stuff and looking every now and again at what was going on. I think even with multiple viewings I would still put this at the bottom of my MCU list.

1 hour ago, Spiceymike said:

I'm willing to give it another viewing for the benefit of the doubt, it didn't keep me invested and I couldn't help but have it as background noise whilst I did other stuff and looking every now and again at what was going on. I think even with multiple viewings I would still put this at the bottom of my MCU list.

Thor Dark World is worst. 

I quite liked it, but I’m generally easily pleased with movies. Did manage to confuse myself early on by mentally earmarking two characters as “thingy from Game Of Thrones” and not realising they were different people until both appeared on screen at the same time. 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, AstroBot said:

I always feel like Dark World is a terrible cut of what could have been a really good film.  They really messed up the villains storyline, cut some interesting stuff regarding Thor’s grandfather and Darsey.

I think this is true - and I'm pretty sure Christopher Eccleston was quite vocal when it came to complaining about the amount of his material that had been cut from the movie. Mind you, Christopher Eccleston is quite vocal when it comes to complaining about almost everything, so read into that what you will.

Still, Dark World has plenty of Loki, and Thor catching the Tube - on that basis alone it's a million times more entertaining than Eternals.

On 18/01/2022 at 19:34, Stigweard said:

Yeah the general public in the MCU seem to just crack on with 3.5bn people popping back up 5 years later like they'd only been away a weekend.

Falcon and the Winter soldier addresses this somewhat.

“Half the world’s living things disappear instantly” is the kind of high concept* sci-fi drama premise 2000-2010 TV execs dream of. I think you can read a lot about Marvel Studios’ philosophy on the brand from the fact that they didn’t go there, in favour of TV series with closer ties to the comic canon.

*But potentially very cheap

The initial blip would cause so much economic chaos, after five years they would be still be recovering. Then the world's population doubles again? It would be a total horror show. People would also be having break downs at an individual level as they questioned their religion and existence  while finding out their life partner has a new lover, their kids are adults and James Cordon is still famous.

10 hours ago, AstroBot said:

I always feel like Dark World is a terrible cut of what could have been a really good film.  They really messed up the villains storyline, cut some interesting stuff regarding Thor’s grandfather and Darsey.

A guy I know worked on it and it suffered from the director being removed, producers making decisions for a while before the new director was added, who was a tv director  who they could push around a bit, so it lacked clear direction in the edit.

Ooh I dunno. I’d love an in-depth investigation into the world after the blip and after everyone returned. It’d be great. 

But then again I’ve always argued the case for a Star Wars documentary series that went into the logistics of building a Death Star so maybe that’s just me?

25 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

Ooh I dunno. I’d love an in-depth investigation into the world after the blip and after everyone returned. It’d be great. 

But then again I’ve always argued the case for a Star Wars documentary series that went into the logistics of building a Death Star so maybe that’s just me?

"....Feige announced the closure of Marvel Studios today after a series of financially disasterous films focused upon Iron Man's tax returns. When asked for comment, Feige merely replied 'Why did I ever listen to those bastards on rllmuk?'"

• 2 weeks later...

I finally caught up with this last night and… I enjoyed it.

Yes, Madden and Chan were both terrible, but I liked the rest of the cast and I’m a sucker for all the ancient alien nonsense, but I wished they’d leaned into that more after the bit with the knife at the beginning.

Anyway, this lands somewhere mid tier for me, but I liked that it felt somewhat different than the usual Marvel style. Black Panther remains firmly at the bottom.

Just finished watching and for me it is one of the worst MCU films ever.  If there was some way to watch a 'recap' of the first hour and a half then follow with the last hour I'd probably recommend to watch it if you are really stuck for something to do! 

It's just so slow, meandering, and not charming in the slightest.  Sprite, Ikaris, Sersis are some of worst characters I've seen.  Ajak is just behind and what on earth was the point of 'Goddess of War' (couldn't fight her way out of a paper bag) Thena?

Phastos needed more screen time, the rest felt shoehorned in.

Best bit was the 'rock to the back of the head', it genuinely made me laugh out loud!

As for the credit scenes, I didn't even know who the first guy was but he didn't make me want to watch more.  The other credit scene, I thought he'd realised his big secret was that he is

Spoiler

Jon Snow.

Towards the end, all I could think was that will be a great tourist attraction to go and visit.

This was my face throughout.

angry-boy-sitting-disgruntled-look-face-child-alone-bad-mood-children-142342972.jpg