IGNORED

Marvel's Eternals

JohnC

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It looks like the kind of thing that brings some interesting concepts and themes to the table but it's fundamental plot is going to be pretty ropey.

And all the visuals look kinda ropey too. Reminds me of that terrible Inhumans tv thing 

2 minutes ago, Festoon said:

And all the visuals look kinda ropey too. Reminds me of that terrible Inhumans tv thing 

Not sure I agree on that front. The trailers have had a lot of very... classy, 'big' iconic images in them that look great. The cinematographer has earned his keep it appears. And the CGI looks decent enough. 

The area I do think it falls down on in the looks department is the art design. The creatures look rubbish (a cross between the shite designs from Avatar with the always, always, always crap 'made of tendrils' thing), and the team's costumes are a bit naff. But I think it's always going to be difficult to come up with a team design that works on screen and isn't just a rehash of something seen before. As a result they've come up with something exceedingly bland.

The Eternals are a bit shit, but the Inhumans are next level terrible. At least the Eternals have a potentially interesting concept (an extension of the Asgardians, really, mythological figures from various traditions being alien custodians of the earth) whereas the Inhumans are just notX-Men.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Is it just me that thinks this looks a bit shit?

And many reviewers. Problem it will have is loads of characters and mythology,  which marvel films have managed to avoid till now by introducing each individually. Or in the case of guardians, making it a series of fun heist scenes. Which really isn’t the eternals.

It a shame, because Gaiman and Gillen’s runs are both quite fun: if a tad deep.

13 hours ago, footle said:

And many reviewers. Problem it will have is loads of characters and mythology,  which marvel films have managed to avoid till now by introducing each individually. Or in the case of guardians, making it a series of fun heist scenes. Which really isn’t the eternals.

It a shame, because Gaiman and Gillen’s runs are both quite fun: if a tad deep.

It's been reviewed? I thought Nomadland was dull so I'm not surprised if the director struggles to make an action-packed Marvel movie 

So there's a significant disaprity between early social media 'impressions' that said you'd ejaculate from every orifice after witnessing the majesty of Disney's™ Marvel's™ Eternals™ and actual professional reviews. Who could possibly have forseen that coming?

Disney have been bigging up the visuals, but compare the big fuck-off spaceship hoveing over the scenery shots in what they've put out for this so far compared to Dune and it's night and day in terms of visual filmmaking.

You know how when Guardians of the Galaxy was first announced and most people went

UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricte

And then people started saying it would be the first misstep for the MCU because no one knew the characters and it was going to be too weird but then the trailer came out and people went 

89436.gif

And then it turned out to be amazing?

Well Eternals seems like the exact same thing. Except without the cool trailer to hype people up. Or the good movie at the end of it.

I cannot muster any enthusiasm whatsoever for this film.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

You know how when Guardians of the Galaxy was first announced and most people went

UnlawfulHeartyChanticleer-size_restricte

And then people started saying it would be the first misstep for the MCU because no one knew the characters and it was going to be too weird but then the trailer came out and people went 

89436.gif

And then it turned out to be amazing?

Well Eternals seems like the exact same thing. Except without the cool trailer to hype people up. Or the good movie at the end of it.

I cannot muster any enthusiasm whatsoever for this film.

What if GoTG was beige?

On 19/08/2021 at 19:34, cubik said:

I'm excited for this, the only complaint I have about the trailer is that the costumes are a bit bland.

I'd love to see them use the bold colours that defined the Kirby original at some point during the movie.

Well I was excited for this, but my enthusiasm seems to have been dampened somewhat.

Based on online comments from a couple of months ago, it was sounding as if Marvel and Chloe Zhao might have done something different with the MCU. I really thought it had a chance to be a pivotal part of Phase 4.

As it is, it appears to be a movie long version of the Inhumans series.

I'm still going to see it, I saw Thor 2 at the movies so this can't be any worse I suppose.

If Empire are giving a Marvel movie less than 4 stars we know already that it is a cataclysmic failure on par with nothing the world has ever seen. It will bore your eyeballs out of your head, your blood will boil and you'll never be the same person again. 

They tend to give Marvel movies good scores,  that's what I'm saying with that. 

5 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I never bother listening to Guardian reviews but even Empire only gave it 3/5. What a shame.

However, as a card carrying MCU apologist I'll still go see it.

The summing up makes it sound like it’s 3 stars plus rather than rounding up a 2 star film.

Director Chloé Zhao’s entry into the superhero world is assured, ambitious and told on a dizzyingly cosmic scale — but even it can’t escape the clichés of superhero storytelling.

2 and a half hours is a long runtime which might be impacting the scores as going that long means it needs to be epic and/or deliver a very good third act.

I think by this point anyone going to a superhero movie and not expecting a CGI fest, with cool but troubled characters that go on a journey to find redemption and save the world/dog rescue center/the love of their life and the clichés of superhero storytelling .. etc Shouldn't really be bothering to go and see a superhero story.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

That's an incredibly restrictive view of an entire genre.

Name me one superhero movie that doesn't have at least one cliched superhero troupe in it ?

Redemption arc

A troubled soul

A vengeful villain

With great power, comes great responsibility 

Going back to the first superman film in the 70's, it had a villain wronged by supermans father seeking vengeance on his son and world domination mmmwwhahahaha.

Louise Lane falling in love with superman

Then Endgame was all about Stark having the power and choosing to use it. A villain avenging his own death and Thor's redemption.

They can play around with the setting and the story lines, but they are all superhero movies where a good character, stops a bad character and saves the little people.