IGNORED

Marvel's Eternals

JohnC

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Vitually every action movie in existence there.

What about Batman & Robin or Captain America: Winter Soldier?

Well, precisely. They all follow a pretty standard templet. So to complain a film is full of the same things you get in a superhero film, seems kind of blinkered to me. 

Captain America is about the redemptive arc of Cap and his friend. And should shield really be using all this power it now has (great responsibility etc etc)

As for batman and robin. Well you have Mr. Freeze avenging his wife's "death" and Poison Ivy wants revenge for reasons. But that is a truly awful movie, the Batmobile driving over the houses alone makes it a stinker.

I mean, I really love superhero movies, because they're fun and good always triumphs over evil. Life is already full of enough grey areas and bad people winning. I want to see truth and justice prevail.  And a big dumb CGI fest fight is always welcome in my book. I've been reading comic books for 40 years. I don't want them to mess around with the template and have a happy Batman talk the armed robbers into quitting and taking up community work. punch the fucker in the face and save old lady jones from the burning building. 

I don't need to see yet another origin story for a very well establish character. So I'm going to see Eternals, and see their dull origin story :)

Redemption arc

A troubled soul

A vengeful villain

With great power, comes great responsibility 

Bloody hell, who knew Unforgiven was a superhero movie?

Alternatively you've come up with such ludicrously broad criteria to seemingly head off criticism that its meaningless and yeah, no shit, you can expect to see these things in multiple films.

Supposedly there's only seven basic plots in fiction, as always it comes down to how you execute and combine all the different elements to make something compelling.

3 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Captain America is about the redemptive arc of Cap and his friend. And should shield really be using all this power it now has (great responsibility etc etc)

Seems like goalpost moving to me, but Cap has nothing to be redeemed for, Bucky maybe in Civil War, but not this one. Also Shield are infiltrated by Hydra in order to carry out a nefarious scheme, it’s nothing to do with the responsibility they have. 

Captain America always felt bad about leaving his best mate behind. The redemption comes from saving his friend and proving he's a good guy really. 

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

Redemption arc

A troubled soul

A vengeful villain

With great power, comes great responsibility 

Bloody hell, who knew Unforgiven was a superhero movie?

Alternatively you've come up with such ludicrously broad criteria to seemingly head off criticism that its meaningless and yeah, no shit, you can expect to see these things in multiple films.

Supposedly there's only seven basic plots in fiction, as always it comes down to how you execute and combine all the different elements to make something compelling. 

Ok

But you've still not given me one superhero movie where one of those does not apply.

And yes I'd say, stick a Cape and eye mask on Clint in unforgiven and you have a superhero movie. The only difference between a hero movie and a superhero movie is how silly the costumes are. 

You can rose tint it up all you like but superhero movie are all pretty much the same. Complaining its clichéd is like bemoaning the sun for always coming up each day. 

If you don't think that, then fine. Carry on and be surprised by every superhero movie you go see. Or not. It's up to you really. 

I like ‘logan’ as an example of a different type of superhero movie. Great film. Dealing with dementia (something close to my heart), getting old, the whole father figure/daughter dynamic. Such a great film. Not a big fucking purple space laser or dimensionator in sight. The superhero stuff very much takes second place to the core themes. And when they complement each other , just wow.

If someone could come up with what they don't like about superhero movies as a formula without also including a whole bunch of blockbusters in their description by accident I'd maybe listen to them.

But they are just standard Hollywood blockbusters, maybe less dumb and less meanspirited than the likes of Transformers or Jurassic World.

10 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

You mean Logan. The Wolverine was the one set in Japan. The Wolverine was pretty good until the end when it shit the bed with a terrible CGI robot samurai guy. 

Er yeah Logan 😔

Logan is a perfect example of why superhero tales are usually so formulaic: if you go ahead and introduce wider themes, you have to deal with the destruction the hero would cause to their enemies and people around them, and that hero's inevitable death. 

There's a reason why What If...s and branching timelines that end are so popular. It allows both hero and villain to cut loose and actually meet their potential and their death. Of course, they're brought back to life in another series 5 minutes later. 

Superhero genre films have a very strict and narrow path to follow it you want a) the hero to win, b) the villain to be defeated whilst c) the world and its inhabitants actually survive. Or you can make X-Men Apocalypse where 50% of the world is destroyed by Magneto and the consequences are pretty much forgotten/ignored... 

I saw the trailer before No Time To Die and Dune. Both times even the trailer felt like two and a half hours so I can only imagine the tedium of the actual film.

The only good that's come of this thread is that I haven't seen Unforgiven since the VHS release in the 90s. That needs to be rectified in the near future. I was lucky enough to see it in the cinema in 1992. Amazing film.

5 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Just out of this. Not impressed at all, I'm afraid. It flunks on Stan Lee's founding principle - the characters aren't relatable, and seem too god-like to identify with.

The Eternals are demigods even in comics, plus no one cared about them before and now.

Just came back from this. It’s way way too long. You need to be Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction good to justify that running time. Also has an incredible ‘surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience’ solution to a world ending problem in the third act. Also, the avengers appeared to be more powerful than these lot. 

Really disappointing. 

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

Saw Eternals. Were they always an off brand Justice League? It’s the equivalent of DC making a movie called The Revengers, featuring Tony Stork as Iron Lad, Roger Stevens as Corporal America and Moose Hammer as The Incredible Bulk. 6/10.

No they're equivalent to DC New Gods which probably doesn't mean anything to you, but they're not really relevant or even have good comics, maybe at best Gaiman's mini but even then that wasn't great. The closest is the Inhumans, but we know what happened to that. 

15 minutes ago, yakumo said:

No they're equivalent to DC New Gods which probably doesn't mean anything to you, but they're not really relevant or even have good comics, maybe at best Gaiman's mini but even then that wasn't great. The closest is the Inhumans, but we know what happened to that. 

I know who the New Gods are thanks, but in the film they’re basically treated as exact analogues for 

Spoiler

Superman (Ikaris), Wonder Woman (Thena), Batman (Phastos), Flash (Maccari), Green Lantern (Sersi), and er… Martian Manhunter? (Sprite) 

I’m just back from seeing it and… I liked it!

It felt like there were two movies competing for supremacy here - the movie the scriptwriters wanted to tell, which was a messy, cliched, emotionally distant blancmange, and; the movie Chloe Zhao wanted to make, which - through its breathtaking cinematography, great performances and languorous pacing and editing - I think shone through and saved what could have been an unmitigated disaster in the hands of a less authorial director.

That this movie came together resembling anything of a single piece is quite impressive given the vast scope, huge number of characters and amount of lore it intended to fit in. The script is really quite awful most of the time, even though the overarching plot is not uninteresting, so big respect to the director for marshalling the whole thing into something digestible.