IGNORED

N64 classics vs Their Gamecube equivalents

jayboy

Diddy Kong Racing>Super Mario Kart>Mario Kart Double Dash>Mario Kart Super Circuit>Mario Kart 64

What's wrong with the > and < sign on your keyboard? They seem to be malfunctioning somehow. Diddy Kong better than SMK? No. Wrong on all levels. Wronger than wrong.

Yes.  These people tend to put 'decent track design' above '30fps' in their Big List of Good Things for a Kart Game.

Decent track design? :)

You mean exploiting every track for every bug it has to cut out half of the stupidly long circuit? See SMK for good track design. Dont go near MK64. What the hell did they do to Rainbow Road?!

And then watch the rediculous AI catch you up, despite you being half the track ahead from a shortcut?

Yes, what a game MK64 was.

Cue twenty pages of people who think that the N64's library is untouchable (I wonder where they could have gotten that idea from?) competing to see who can be the most insufferably petulant.

Extra points for the first person to say that a given N64/GC game actually made them cry with joy/disappointment!

Have you ever added anything to this forum?

1,546 somethings, in fact.

And none of them involved claiming that Xbox CS was better than its PC predecessor and all of Nintendo's output this generation.

Now piss off.

Exactly. You never seem to have any opinions on any games at all. Only on peoples posts.

No, you piss off etc.

Diddy kong did have its faults though, mainly in the difficulty setting, especially bos races or the 'Co[llect 6 coins and come first, oh and the coins are hidden in the worst possible racing lines ever, and did we also mention everyones gona fire their rockets at you, and hit you all the time?'

Decent track design? <_<

You mean exploiting every track for every bug it has to cut out half of the stupidly long circuit?

Or not and just racing the circuits as they were meant to be raced. Doing so demonstrates just how much MK64's circuits are in comparison to its' true successor. And, lest we forget, Double Dash's AI is doubly underhand, featuring all the traits of previous MK games, but more so. A lead in 150CC? Only if you're a CPU character.

I dont care what you lot say about Diddy Kong Racing I loved it. Okay maybe saying it was better than Mario Kart was a silly thing to do, but in all honestly i loved them as much as each other.

A lot of people complained about the difficult of Diddy Kong Racing - but I thought it was perfect. I mean I am glad that you had to become first place in a race, and all the coin challenges were great. The bosses were great too, although Wizpig took me about 100 tries to beat him, but I reckon I am glad he was so hard - it was a big challenge.

Most the tracks were fantastically designed, and the combination of karts, planes and boats functioned well. Even the multi player was good, and the unlocking of secret characters was engaging too.

Dont get me wrong I love the Mario Kart games, but i can beat them in like.. 2 days. At least Diddy Kong Kept me going for over a month, and dont forget once you beat it you unlocked a different mode.

The N64 games were better than the Cube games IMO, but these days your eyes will probably bleed when you turn on the machine. While the GameCube hasn't managed to overtake the N64, time has. And therefore you're better off with the Cube I think. Just make sure you get the Ocarina Of Time bonusdisc, because it's still the Best Game Ever.

Just make sure you get the Ocarina Of Time bonusdisc, because it's still the Best Game Ever.

Unless you play Wind Waker before you play it - I've just reached the Spirit Temple.

Link to the Past still reigns supreme! :lol:

Bluestorm is one of the best games on the Cube. I always feel this game gets slagged off far too much for not being ridiculously easy like most games of this age or the fact people haven't actually played the game to any length. It beats the original in every department and provides me with the best arcade thrills this side of Burnout 2. It easily makes my Gamecube top five.

This game is ace. Look at the bright vivid graphics that remind you of the classic coin ops, the ludicrously convincing water effects, the ridiculously large waves, the immense challenge or the serene relaxation available on free roam. If this game was on Live or an alternative online setup it would be outstanding.

If you've not got this game on your Cube by now you quite frankly shouldn't have bothered buying one in the first place.

It's a magical game with a great deal of depth.

I'm thinking of getting Blue Storm myself. I got it with my GC, alongside Resi, and took both back the next day for Monkey Ball, but during that short time, I did get a feel for the (surprisingly deep) handling.

That reads like a very sarcastic post. Was this intentional.

Metroid Fusion sucks! That'll teach you. :lol:

yeah i must say the only thing with DKR now, is that if you try playing it nowadays the framerate does your head in. Thats the only problem with it. Weird, cos at the time it didnt matter, but its probably cos we are used to playing games at 30-60fps rather than 15fps or so, that the old N64 games had.

Or not and just racing the circuits as they were meant to be raced.  Doing so demonstrates just how much MK64's circuits are in comparison to its' true successor.  And, lest we forget, Double Dash's AI is doubly underhand, featuring all the traits of previous MK games, but more so.  A lead in 150CC?  Only if you're a CPU character.

Oh please dont make me go through this again ;).

The AI in MK64 was just plain silly - rubber band AI at its best.

MK: DD does not feature rubber band AI at all, or well at least in any discernable fashion (it is wholly possible to both win and lose races by over 10 seconds, something that is impossible in MK64 without taking said stupid shortcuts).

While we are talking about rubber band AI I should quickly mention Blue Storm too. I decided to try that out based on various recomendations, but the AI in that is just as bad as in MK64. Basically your finishing posistion is decided by how well you do on the final turn (at least on the easier modes) since they just follow about however quick you go.

The AI in MK: DD in every other way is also a huge improvement over every previous MK (they actually get items by going over the blocks, and they get appropriate items).

If you look at the MK64 track design as a whole over the series, it is also an aboration. The short and snappy tracks of SMK is what the series is all about, not the long drawn out boring affairs of MK64.

It seems some people have a rather selective memory.

The AI in MK: DD in every other way is also a huge improvement over every previous MK (they actually get items by going over the blocks, and they get appropriate items).

Now there's a trait of decent AI if ever I saw it. Allow for a woo. Woooo.

If you look at the MK64 track design as a whole over the series, it is also an aboration. The short and snappy tracks of SMK is what the series is all about, not the long drawn out boring affairs of MK64.

And what 'short and snappy' courses are there in DD? Besides that utterly wanky Baby Park thing?

It seems some people have a rather selective memory.

And it seems that others have no memory at all. MK64 is so much better than the sterile, benign Double Dash (in much the same way as all N64 predecessors outshine their GC successors) that it's funny. Hilariously, unbelievably funny.