rllmuk

TotalBiscuit died.

https://kotaku.com/game-critic-totalbiscuit-has-died-1826310517

After retiring from games criticism at the start of the month, YouTube personality John “Totalbiscuit” Bain has passed away.

Bain, who was 33, was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014. It went into remission, only to return last year and spread to his liver and spine. Earlier this month, he announced his retirement from games criticism, saying that chemotherapy was no longer working and his liver was failing. He said he planned to continue streaming and video-making, but in the form of co-op gameplay with his wife in hopes that she’d take over his channel when he was gone.

“I fully expect The Co-optional Podcast to go on and I love the thought that once I’m gone, the channels will go on in my absence, hosted by the person who knows me best and has been with me for the better part of my adult life,” he said.

“It’s been a privilege,” he added. “Thank you all for letting me into your life and do something so important as to have an impact on how you spend your hard-earned money.”

Fuck cancer, as the saying goes. 

• Empathy 7

Thats a massive shame. I remember first hearing about it a couple of months ago and never knew of any of it until then. I didn't follow him or anything, but have seen a few of his vids in the past and he's going to be missed by a lot of people I can imagine as to how popular he became. And yeah fuck cancer; my own dad died of it when he was 41, and I'm now 35 so it puts things into perspective really when I think about that. It was only the other week I saw another Youtube (forget his name) who's done music production tutorials for years came out and just said he'd been diagnosed with cancer too. 

That's a motherfucker. Used to interact with him a lot back in the WowRadio days which would have been over a decade ago now. Never thought at the time he'd go on to be so successful as that thing was really just a glorified World of Warcraft fansite.  Drifted away from him somewhat by the time he'd moved to America and started the whole Cynical Brit thing but I did watch his YouTube content sometimes, I loved all the Hearthstone stuff. 

RIP John. We lost you too young. :(

There's a ton of content deletion and controversy in the Reddit and resetera threads on this.

What made him such a controversial figure? I know he went along with gamergate, but not really to what extent.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

There's a ton of content deletion and controversy in the Reddit and resetera threads on this.

What made him such a controversial figure? I know he went along with gamergate, but not really to what extent.

I had a look at the thread on there. The resetera place is worse than neogaf. If you ain’t got anything nice to say then don’t say it. 

I didn’t watch any of his videos. But heard a lot about him on forums I visited, so I guess he was a prominent figure on YouTube. So it’s sad to see someone die so young.

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yes, and loved to get his mobs to mass-harass people in social media (until they left).  

and there's the problem. I find it hard to feel bad that someone who was such a piece of shit has died but I hate the thought of anyone at all having to suffer what he went through.

So conflicting but I think I come out still on the side of fuck that guy, he was an arsehole in life so why should I feel bad for his death.

I dunno, life sucks.

• Upvote 3

Haven't watched or listened to the guy in years but I remember him becoming a name in the wow community 10 or more years ago. Don't know enough about his controversial side to judge, so I will just gloss over that now in the wake of his very untimely passing. It's occasions like this where people pass inappropriately timed judgements and criticism that just end up antagonising and strengthening the views of the gaming extremists so I can fully understand the censoring of the resetera thread. Now is not the time for a totalbiscuit pile on. Rip buddy.

Reddit and Resetera are worthless as discussion forums, and they prove it every time something like this occurs. They call themselves "safe spaces" (ugh) for discussion, and then impose more draconian rules than ever. He was a decent bloke, with some opinions some people didnt like, and he's died. I also wish they'd stop saying "RIP in peace".

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

and there's the problem. I find it hard to feel bad that someone who was such a piece of shit has died but I hate the thought of anyone at all having to suffer what he went through.

So conflicting but I think I come out still on the side of fuck that guy, he was an arsehole in life so why should I feel bad for his death.

I dunno, life sucks.

You seem nice.

I always got the impression he was someone who got internet famous young enough that he hadn't figured out "real life" yet, which combined with the cancer hanging over him probably pushed him to some of his more acerbic opinions. It's very sad whenever anyone dies so young, I feel terrible for his wife.

33 is no age. I recall his initial diagnosis made me go and get checked out because I was having similar symptoms (fortunately, just a scare)

I'm surprised at how big the reaction is, I think once these Youtubers start to go we're going to see much more of this. Like even if a creator who made something formational to a lot of people (like Notch) died, that's still probably only one community, whereas TB is being mentioned in every community for every game he's ever covered, looking at reddit.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Yeah ResetERA are being incredibly shitty about this... oh wait:

Never knew the guy and sounds like I wouldn't have been a fan of his content, but nobody deserves to die of bowel cancer at 33. Just fucking awful.

That is precisely my point, their iron fist modding shuts down any form of nuanced discussion, you are literally not allowed to point out a good person did a bad thing, or a bad person did a good thing. They are the most closed minded internet forum I have ever seen, and I've been on mumsnet.

Very curious seeing the quiet on Games Twitter, as much as I am exposed to it, compared to the YT/streamer noise. I know sites like Eurogamer and Waypoint don't necessarily acknowledge the 24-hour news cycle, but I had expected to see some small coverage. Near-enough radio silence. I think an IGN journalist tweeted something, but she also worked with Colin fucknut Moriarty on his petulant, hypocritical bullying video, so fuck her.

I've never been a fan of TB, and abjectly loathed the way he propagated the uglier self-entitlement of gamers whilst also stroking their egos – this quote when he announced his retirement, 'Thank you all for letting me into your life and do something so important as to have an impact on how you spend your hard-earned money' is cloyingly saccharine and hollow. Also despised his complicity in the spread of GG whilst hiding under the veneer of respectability and impartiality – sure, I wouldn't count him among their numbers, but he did a very real bugger all to challenge its spread. I'm no advocate of the adage, 'no smoke without fire', but TB was constantly mired with shitty behaviour (Intel shares, for example. And yes, I know his wife is in charge of the TB company).

This is entirely separate to the sadness of a man passing away after fighting cancer. The event doesn't take away the legacy, nor does the legacy mean someone passing from cancer isn't a Bad Thing.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

TBH I don't know why I'm defending the modding on ResetERA, I agree they're inconsistently militant. I just saw that post and it seemed reasonable they were shutting down any potentially disrespectful discussion in the wake of his death.

I agree they should stop the disrespectful stuff, but their definition of it varies from mod to mod. You could post that while you sympathise with John, you didn't agree with his views, and get a ban. They're a forum that doesn't encourage any variety in the discussion. For example, if Sweaty Travolta posted that comment over there, it would be nuked into oblivion. But what harm does it actually do? It's not my view, but I'd rather he or she had the ability to post it. Anyway pardon my soap box, I just find Resetera stifles any form of discussion.

9 minutes ago, Yix said:

Very curious seeing the quiet on Games Twitter, as much as I am exposed to it, compared to the YT/streamer noise. I know sites like Eurogamer and Waypoint don't necessarily acknowledge the 24-hour news cycle, but I had expected to see some small coverage. Near-enough radio silence. I think an IGN journalist tweeted something, but she also worked with Colin fucknut Moriarty on his petulant, hypocritical bullying video, so fuck her.

Eurogamer had a story up way before you posted: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-25-youtuber-john-totalbiscuit-bain-dies-aged-33

Well, suppose I should've added 'at the time of posting'. The most recent news item was about Pokemon Go when I started writing, and seeing as EG doesn't include publication time, the first comment on the TB story was posted 10 minutes before mine here.

That's a shame that he's died, went on a binge of the bad games he's covered over the years and it was great fun to watch.

Couldn't give a flying fuck about his politics or all the other noise that's been cropping up.

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Probably going to be controversial but fuck it, I would very much disagree with this.  I didn’t particularly like the guy, but you couldn’t say he was a prominent gamergater.  He was someone they liked to paint as “on their side” as he spoke about the whole “ethics in gaming journalism” stuff they used to say they loved so they could attack people, but he’d said several times that he didn’t think the movement as a whole was something he wanted to support, and outright called out some of their prominent members for harassment.  That he agreed with what some of them said, some of the time, meant that he got bundled in with them by people on both sides.

I also think the “getting his mobs to mass harass people” thing is overstated, at least from what I’ve seen.  There could be other times that I’ve missed, but generally the instances where this is supposed to have happened have been the kind where someone (often with a decent, If not as large) following talks shit about him, and he responds to them.  You could say that he’s irresponsible with his following, but it’s come across more that he’s pissed/frustrated at people misrepresenting him or just getting digs in at him.  Which I’ve seen happen a lot.  There were plenty of people during gamergate on the anti side who’d take things he said and then say he’d been saying a slightly misread (and worse) version.  The worst was when he made a joke to a friend of his on there saying he was “toast-kin”, and the anti side took it as mocking transgender people.  It wasn’t, it was mocking “other-kin” who think they’re actually a dragon or some shit, and he explained that and apologised to any trans people who thought it was aimed at them.  The anti side still kept up the narrative that it was anti trans though, and I literally saw people claim he’d said that being trans was the equivalent to being a piece of toast and that he thought trans people should kill themselves.  These were people with decent followings as well.  To be honest, I’m not surprised that sometimes he called these people out.  And I could be missing it completely, but I’ve never heard of or seen someone leaving social media because of an harassment spree he started.  I’m sure there have been instances where his followers have attacked people, but I’m not so convinced that he was legitimately sending hate mobs on people for no reason because he enjoyed driving people off social media either.

So yeah, he’s no angel but I honestly believe he gets way more shit than he deserves. I’ve already seen responses along the lines of “well, I’m not saying he deserved cancer....but he kind of did” in other places, and honestly, those people are arseholes who should fuck off.  I didn’t particularly like him, but still find the news sad - he’d been battling this for a while now, and to have to go through such an awful illness at such a young age is terrible. RIP.

The man had millions of subscribers and regularly promoted GG as a legitimate movement, fanning the flames and prolonging the harassment and abuse. I don't care if he called out some other members for harassment, the entire movement was harassment. This is 'woke soubz' levels of abdication of responsibility.

He had some nasty underlying beliefs

https://archive.is/vgLIY

https://archive.is/gHbkl

KDSiL1M.png

he never took any responsibility for his position and what he did. cancer is a horrible disease and no one should suffer. the outpouring of grief while people still live with the effects of what he did when he was alive is just a bit too much for me.

• Upvote 9

Can anyone link to these horrendous things he's done?

I'm asking as someone who has no clue about him outside his YouTube series. The stuff linked so far doesn't seem overly horrid.

1 hour ago, Tumble Cream said:

Reddit and Resetera are worthless as discussion forums, and they prove it every time something like this occurs. They call themselves "safe spaces" (ugh) for discussion, and then impose more draconian rules than ever. He was a decent bloke, with some opinions some people didnt like, and he's died. I also wish they'd stop saying "RIP in peace".

I don't think "safe space" means what you seem to think it does.

• Upvote 2