Is your local cinema terrible?

We have a not bad Odeon near us. If you use the meerkat movies you can get 2 seats in the comfy section for about £8.50. Bargain.

It closes down next month. If I want to avoid a tiny local one that's both expensive and cramped, it's a 100 mile round trip to the nearest Vue (with its £14 per person tickets)

Mine's pretty good. I go to the fancy screen, which they call the 'Oval Office'

6362b3f84386de042a9345cdd5d45874_1490162

20161214_162650_S-770x439_c.jpg

Can get a bit distracting, as each chair has a button to call a host for drinks etc, but really comfy big reclining leather chairs, good screen, only 1 movie trailer showed before the movie

• Upvote 2

Only 1 trailer? That sounds like a negative to me! 

We used to have this place down the road, with sensibly staggered cosy seating, and even a second tier (rarely opened though), Our local multiplex was OK, but like @Danster's example, you can buy a beer or even a cup of tea at The Ritz (Randwick, Sydney)!

the-ritz-randwick.jpg

Our new local (The Empire in Bowral, NSW) is along the same lines but not quite as good. No tea or beer, and the theatres and screens aren't quite as good. Most of the screens are tiny.

8434188-3x2-700x467.jpg

So no, not terrible, just small. And none of them play enough classics for my tastes.

Still, both much more pleasant than The Showcase in Nottingham, which used to be my "big release" go to! 

Wouldn't mind more trailers, but it's nice to get there 5 mins before it's meant to start, and then pretty much straight into the movie, rather than like 25 mins of ads + trailers (I remember being annoyed going to watch Force Awakens at a midnight showing, then waiting till 12:30 for the thing to actually start)

• Upvote 1

i love my local because its so old and ramshackle it reminds me of the good old days

cinemas when i was a kid had rickity old velvet seats tiny screen and no legroom 

my local is similar but all the better for it my opinion and like an old man pub they already know my order when i get there :)

plus it sells kracks which are quite aptly named 

I live in West Cornwall and we only have independent cinemas down here. The best by far is The Newlyn Filmhouse. It's two screens with a fantastic bar and restaurant, and really knowledgeable enthusiastic staff. Best of all, they have the Kermode & Mayo code of conduct posted up, and don't allow food in the screens. Beer and wine is of course fine.

My favourite place to spend a day off.

download.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • 6 months later...

Apparently people are getting in a tizzy over the refurbished Odeon Leicester Square. The top end tickets are £40.75. That gets you a fully reclining chair, extra legroom and width and a table.

Normal tickets start at £10.

Cloest ones to me is a new (within in the last 5 years) Empire so it's really nice, comfy and clean. Unfortuantly it's like most chains and doesn't show more indie or art house pictures so I never get to see those at the cinema. Every other cinema close to me is a multiscreen chain too so no look with them either. They're also all really old too, the cloest Showcase is awful.

On 28 May 2018 at 14:15, Gommy said:

I think you did, it's probably the perspective of the shot, the blue at the background so it seems you can see through it and the general grand designs look to this photo but it really looks like there is no room for 1 let alone 3 cinema screens.

Screens aren't massive but it's so nice to watch a film with people who are there to watch the film. Saw Escape From New York there a few weeks ago and it was lovely. It's like the new Duke of Yorks, it's A number 1.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My nearest is an Odeon which is a toilet, it’s not even tiered and is therefore not a cinema 

a bit further in town is a Showcase De Luxe which I am perfectly happy with, no unlimited promo but insider card gives 10% back on all purchase and £7 movies three days a week

Xplus screen is massive and Atmos audio really good, but only one of 12 is like that.

ive seen 47 new movies and a bunch of releases last year including Ghibli, Heathers, Silence of the Lambs. Also surprisingly fab for anime

• 4 months later...

Went to see the Avengers at one of those Luxe Odeons yesterday. Significantly better than any 'normal' cinema I've been to in the last 10-15 years. Massive comfy reclining seats, good view (the guy in front could have been like 7 foot tall in a hat and his head would have been below the bottom of the screen), no fuckups on sound or picture either. No mutants despite being in the ghetto (wouldn't go at 10 on a saturday night though :lol: ). Only a quid more expensive than the horrible cineworld.

I haven't been to the cinema in about 2 and a half years. Since my son was born, basically. Before that I'd basically given up on them, anyway. Overpriced, screens often far too small for my liking, smelly and annoying people along for the ride. 

Let's face it, if it weren't for release exclusivity they'd be dead. I'm happy to wait to see pretty much anything, but have been thinking about braving a cinema for Endgame. Now that the initial hype is over, that's mostly passed, though. 

5 minutes ago, Naieve said:

Baller AF

I love it. Sound isn't perfect, but the place is staffed entirely by volunteers. They don't show any ads before the movies & is only 6 quid for a ticket.

We have a choice of a few - Hatfield Galleria, Welwyn Garden City Campus West (about £7 a ticket) which are both good. We also have the Odyssey St Albans, which is pretty special. Lots of choice of food and drink, sofa, table service etc, plus they also show older films, and you go for the experience (or if you haven't seen them before!):

https://odysseypictures.co.uk

I've got an independent cinema ("The Castle" in Homerton) near me which is fantastic (big seats, wonderful picture and sound quality - it's like watching on your sofa at home if you happened to have a brilliant setup) but also expensive. I also go to the Barbican every now and then. However the cinema closest to me, and that I go to most often, is a Vue. Usually I go there late in a film's run, and it's only about ten minutes away from me so I can go at awkward times. But I was too worried about spoilers for Endgame to wait, so I went late yesterday. Had to tell two people not to use their phones. WTF? Thankfully as the film went on most people seemed pretty gripped so no much talking or phone usage. Even some people crying at the end, lol.

Also tbh I get really annoyed by them charging 75p for book online. I'm paying for the privilege of them being able to employ fewer staff basically. 

We went to the Rio in Hackney recently. I remembered it being much larger but the last film I saw there was Dick Tracy on release, so it's probably me that's grown. The seats were uncomfortable and there was a shabby feel to the place but I really liked it and there were only about six people in the audience for our screening. The staff were all really lovely as well.

I don't think I've ever been to a cinema which has separate ticket counters. They've always been sold from the same counter as snacks wherever I've been (even back in the days of Coke in glass bottles), apart from the more recent machine option.

On 29/05/2018 at 04:57, pastry said:

Our new local (The Empire in Bowral, NSW) is along the same lines but not quite as good. No tea or beer, and the theatres and screens aren't quite as good. Most of the screens are tiny.

Bong Bong Street!  Flown out there to do some work for the local council tail end of 2015. Loved it.

IMG_20151125_125119.thumb.jpg.86750bfa96c4ccc8e1782cafc02357ab.jpg 

My local now is either some God forsaken pit in Maidstone, or the bright dazzling lights of Blue Water. Slightly off the beaten track is an independent in Hawkhurst - the Kino. 

Kino-Hawkhurst-Digital-Cinema-Projector-Image1.jpg.6d45d0f06f5c72a53bcb8d559d0f2acf.jpg

They have adverts for the local Public Schools. They don't sell noisy food and you can take craft beer and a very agreeable red wine in.