Is your local cinema terrible?

dumpster

9 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Local Odeon closed down last year. But we have this new one nearby opened up in a converted church:

looking-towards-the-fullarton-formerly-st-andrews-church-with-cherry-J50PME.jpg

refurb2-960px.jpg

Wow where is this? May not be perfect but what a setting

An advantage of living in Nottingham is a wide range of cinema options.

If you want blockbusters in the city centre, packed with uncomfy seats and a fake Imax screen, there's the Cineworld - added bonus, it's inside a glass monstrosity that houses a variety of overpriced/underqualitied eateries and a minigolf thing:

Cornerhouse.jpg.7ef501e8d2c8d37146b472f9cae20488.jpg

Added bonus: we've twice been ejected mid-film at the Cineworld due to one or another of the aforementioned restaurants catching fire. It is comfortably my last-choice venue.

If blockbusters in a retail park with reclining leather seats and even higher ticket prices are your thing, then there's the Showcase. It looks exactly like every other cinema in a retail park, so I won't bore you with a picture. It's fine.

If you want a very narrow selection of blockbusters at a low price with surprisingly comfy seats (including, delightfully, love seats) and four screens to choose from ranging in scale from mid-size to tiny, there's the Savoy:

876793582_SavoyNottingham.jpg.2818bd4a72ccfeebb01a56fc0ea23d44.jpg

They recently refurbished, and while I sort of miss the old beaten up chairs, I have to admit it's a lot comfier than it used to be.

And if you're after independent cinema and fun film festivals at a similarly low price there's the Broadway:

1306461144_BroadwayNottingham.thumb.jpg.65f481161880575ef1479eabbc3fb243.jpg

The two cafebars are nice as well; the upstairs one tending to be quiet and a good place to type or code while waiting for people in town, while the busier downstairs one is notable for hosting a monthly video game quiz which I enjoy greatly, and being a nice place to wind down on a night out. The beers are overpriced, mind.

Nottingham's certainly an improvement on the selection that I had back when I lived in Swansea or Newport, and I'm very fond of both the Savoy and Broadway. Partially for price, partially for ambiance, partially just the size - it's nice to go into screenings knowing that there literally isn't enough space for them to be filled with screaming hordes, and it's also nice to have lobbies and/or cafebar areas that don't make you feel like so much cattle.

Just went to The Light cinema in Addlestone. Amazing.

It's got a bar and a cafe plus the usual sweets and even pizza (bit early on this visit).

Every seat is big, soft and reclining! Little table between every other seat and wide armrests the other side. Loads of leg room. Also quite steep seating so no fear of a tall person in the bottom of your view.

On 28/05/2018 at 20:17, Isaac said:

This one is the nearest one to my flat, and is brilliant if you want a packed screen, is £4.99 all day every day, and is completely independent:

image.png.463c0b3908794d8d3d0ea647c54312d4.png

But my personal favourite at this time of year has to be the rooftop cinema at the Bussey building:

image.thumb.png.e36301ca5cf8c6a15dbbb9b4b6bb97e8.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=623a6d56661830bc

Im a big fan of the Peckhamplex, in spite of the £5 tickets I always end up spending £50 on pick n mix and wine. There’s one member of staff who always judges me hard for my indulgences - I bought about £15 of pick n mix (not just for me!) once when I went to see Force Awakens. The colour drained from her face when she rang it up and I said “yea but it’s Star Wars innit, it’s a special occasion”, already feeling a bit sheepish, to which she repeated the total with even more incredulity and alarm a second time. Lay off would ya?!

Anyway, there was a cinema near me in Crystal Palace which had been in a state of disuse for years and years, and had, in contrast to the above church used as a cinema, been used occasionally by a church group for services. They were finally turfed out last year and Everyman took it on. It’s gorgeous, has a well stocked bar and kitchen, a number of smaller screens as well as one large, grand theatre with chandelier and decorative features. The seats are a mix of single and double, which makes it great for couples - oh and the staff are lovely and extremely knowledgeable and competent. It’s no Peckhamplex, but then again it’s not terribly expensive either. Love it. 

• 2 months later...

I’m driving home from holiday and decided to have a break by calling into a cinema along the way, in Gorey, Wexford. I’m sitting outside right now. It feels very odd. It’s a modern multiplex, in the corner of a field, surrounded by more fields. It’s like if someone built a multiplex in Father Ted. 

On 08/05/2019 at 23:41, Wiper said:

An advantage of living in Nottingham is a wide range of cinema options.

If you want blockbusters in the city centre, packed with uncomfy seats and a fake Imax screen, there's the Cineworld - added bonus, it's inside a glass monstrosity that houses a variety of overpriced/underqualitied eateries and a minigolf thing:

Cornerhouse.jpg.7ef501e8d2c8d37146b472f9cae20488.jpg

Added bonus: we've twice been ejected mid-film at the Cineworld due to one or another of the aforementioned restaurants catching fire. It is comfortably my last-choice venue.

If blockbusters in a retail park with reclining leather seats and even higher ticket prices are your thing, then there's the Showcase. It looks exactly like every other cinema in a retail park, so I won't bore you with a picture. It's fine.

If you want a very narrow selection of blockbusters at a low price with surprisingly comfy seats (including, delightfully, love seats) and four screens to choose from ranging in scale from mid-size to tiny, there's the Savoy:

876793582_SavoyNottingham.jpg.2818bd4a72ccfeebb01a56fc0ea23d44.jpg

They recently refurbished, and while I sort of miss the old beaten up chairs, I have to admit it's a lot comfier than it used to be.

And if you're after independent cinema and fun film festivals at a similarly low price there's the Broadway:

1306461144_BroadwayNottingham.thumb.jpg.65f481161880575ef1479eabbc3fb243.jpg

The two cafebars are nice as well; the upstairs one tending to be quiet and a good place to type or code while waiting for people in town, while the busier downstairs one is notable for hosting a monthly video game quiz which I enjoy greatly, and being a nice place to wind down on a night out. The beers are overpriced, mind.

Nottingham's certainly an improvement on the selection that I had back when I lived in Swansea or Newport, and I'm very fond of both the Savoy and Broadway. Partially for price, partially for ambiance, partially just the size - it's nice to go into screenings knowing that there literally isn't enough space for them to be filled with screaming hordes, and it's also nice to have lobbies and/or cafebar areas that don't make you feel like so much cattle.

The Savoy

:wub:

That's one place in Nottingham I definetly miss.

Bedford have a newly built Vue that I visited for the first time the other night, it's alright I suppose, it also has a Cineworld that hasn't been updated in fucking years as far as I'm aware, and it smells.

Local cinemas in Dubai are pretty much all multiplexes (although spoiled with having three IMAX screens within easy reach)

Back in London, local cinema would be Olympic Studios, in Barnes. Started as a cinema back in 1906, then became a recording studio for pretty much every band worth listening to in the 60s and 70s. Converted back to a two-screen cinema in the last decade, with reclining seats, Dolby Atmos and a modest concessions stand. It's a lovely little venue, the audience is usually damn near silent and they host comedy nights and acoustic music sessions as well as a nice mix of big budget and indie releases. Make a point of going whenever I'm home because I feel independent cinemas are a treasure that need supporting.

image.jpg

Also got a lot of love for the Prince Charles Cinema, just off Leicester Square. Pretty much the last indie in the West End, it started life briefly as a theatre, then started screening skin flicks. Nowadays its also been converted to a two-screen venue, showing a mix of new and old films, as well as movie marathons on weekends: In August they're hosting, among others, the How To Train Your Dragon trilogy, a Nic Cage triple-bill and a Studio Ghibli Pyjama Party. Lifetime membership, giving discounts on films and concessions, is a damn reasonable £55. If you live in and around London, it's a venue well-worth a visit.

How are you meant to know when the film will actually start? I haven't been to the cinema in the UK for about eight years, but when I did, the advertised show time was always just the start of advertising time, with no indication of how long that would last.