IGNORED

Fallout 76 - Prepare Your GaaS Masks

CovisGod

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’m going to give this a bash - fancy playing some kind of shotgun toting field medic drunkard Doctor. Just like real life! 

There really is nothing quite like getting lost in the wastes…

If I have one bit of advice, it’s to turn down any charity that comes your way. I don’t play anymore, but do keep up with the sub Reddit, and there’s a fair few higher levels who are so bored they spend their time just giving loads of shit to lower levels. 

Problem is, their altruism removes most of the stuff worth striving for in the game itself. FO76 is at its best when you’re early level and trying to scrimp together what you need to survive. There is no higher level end-game, just bear that in mind before you decide to get invested. 

Hey so this is pretty good! It’s basically proper Fallout so far, but with other people running about and occasionally shouting in German. 

I started playing on Series X and it was nice, 60fps, looked decent. Got some friends who are deep into it on PlayStation (level 440 or something ridiculous) though, so picked it up there to play with them there instead. Christ, it’s like playing in slow motion. The curse of 30fps. I’m playing in PS4 Pro until my PS5 arrives and it’s really blurry and poo res, too.

Unfortunately I understand there’s no fps boost equivalent or patch for it on PS5 so it’ll likely be as bad. Blurgh. It’s night and day difference. Speaking of night, night in this game is so goddamn dark. I think the PS4 Pro gets on a little too well with my Oled because if there’s a dark area it is literally pitch black. Some areas of Bloodborne, for example, I can’t see more than 5ft in front of me. 

Anyway, I’m level 15 at the moment. Made myself some decent armour. My friends made and gave me a load of stuff including power armour, which I promptly dumped in my stash to ignore. I’ll get by on what I find and craft, thanks. That’s why I’m running round in armour made out of tyres and Tesco carrier bags. 

So far yeah, but I don’t know how long that will continue. There’s proper quests and stuff, and a story (though basic so far) to follow. 

For example early on, you’re asked to build your camp and put up a sign to attract treasure hunters who have been hassling the local bar. You do this and then have to find out where the gang’s hideout is - there’s a few ways you can do this (for example, I successfully convinced one of the gang members I was working with the other to take him out, so they killed each other). Then you’re presented with a number of options for taking on the gang - speaking to various npcs to find sneaky ways in, going in all guns blazing, you can kill the gang leader or just convince him to leave the bar alone etc. You might even be able to join the gang and take on the bar, not sure. 

37 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Is there enough in there to be able to play it like a single player Fallout game?

I’ve got well over a hundred hours in it and that’s almost entirely been played treating it as a single-player Fallout game. With all the additions and improvements they’ve made to it over the years it’s now essentially Fallout 5, just with the vestigial remnants of the misguided multiplayer approach they went with initially. But you can safely ignore all the multiplayer aspects (which are the weakest aspect of the game anyway) and have a grand old time just exploring the huge world and doing quests while scavenging for gear among the irradiated ruins. Same as it ever was and it’s great, if Bethesda’s style appeals.

It stumbled so badly out of the gate that many wrote it off for good, but anyone who enjoyed Fallout 3 and 4 would love 76 as it is now.

55 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Is there enough in there to be able to play it like a single player Fallout game?

I honestly think so. If you just concentrate on the main questline it's basically Fallout 5, but with a bit less depth and variety to the side quests available.

But you will probably also enjoy visiting other people's camps and seeing what sort of constructions they have come up with, and trading with them for useful bits and pieces. 

I played about 100 hours to get through all the content and storylines, and am looking forward to more coming out at some point in the future. I also had a great time building my first proper, fully featured base. But as others have mentioned, there isn't really enough in the endgame/multiplayer aspects to keep me playing in the meantime. 

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

3B288B96-2D19-481E-A34D-FC3E52EED844.gif.d891fdf1e84c2915d39b0ed98b75feb2.gif

I mean, kinda….but also not really. It’s going to make a fairly favourable impression on new players, because they’ll most likely encounter the ‘Wastelanders’ stuff out of the gate. Which does provide some solid quests. There’s not a huge lifespan in that content, however, and what lurks underneath are still the awkward ‘solve this mystery of the dead person! Carry out this dead person’s instructions! Track down this person…oh, they’re dead. Bet you didn’t see that coming!’ quests of the base game. 

There is some decent lore in there, at least far better thought out than the terrible lore of Fallout 4, but you’ll be digging through a shitload of terminals and Pip-Boy tapes to piece it all together. Because that was the original thrust of the game. Wasteland pathologist. As I said, it has been somewhat addressed with new content, but it’s still the backbone of the game. It just all feels a bit less jarring now that there are actual human NPCs in the game as opposed to just robots and quest giving terminals. 

The rampant charity of other players somewhat broke the game for me, tbh. Yes, we don’t all need to go round shooting each other in the face (if we even could. It’s largely impossible now) but this is a wasteland, not a care bear utopia. The game is already quite easy so having other players showering you in free shit just pushes it too far in that direction. 

Base building…hmm. I assume you have little interest in it as you’re talking in terms of single player (you can still build a camp in a remote location and make it invisible on the map) but it’s simultaneously one of the best and worst things about the game. You can make some lovely stuff, but the system to do so will fight you every step of the way. Unless you just want to build a giant, brick cube, of course. 

It’s a fun, maddening game brimming with unrealised promise. I’d say to at least give it a try, but, to reiterate, there is no endgame. It just sort of stops. If you play casually enough to take ages to reach that point, or recognise it and bail once you do, then it’ll be a far less frustrating experience. 

The endgame is about continuing to develop your character so you're an unstoppable killing machine in PvP, which of course isn't interesting if you're not into PvP. Or continuing to develop your base, which of course isn't interesting if you're not into base building. I got bored of both fairly quickly. But it isn't quite fair to say that endgame content doesn't exist. It's there, just maybe not the end game content you (or I) want. 

But isn't that the case with most MMOs? End game is more or less geared towards PvP because that's all there's left to do once you're so powerful the environment doesn't really hold any challenge for you. 

11 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

But isn't that the case with most MMOs? End game is more or less geared towards PvP because that's all there's left to do once you're so powerful the environment doesn't really hold any challenge for you. 

Not exactly, end game mmos tend to be a mixture of end game pvp and end game pve content - so dungeons, raids, that kind of organised group content. 

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Short answer, yep!

Its basically got a full single player aspect now, that was added in. along with more single stuff they keep adding. And, you arnt fixed in spec as it gives "cards" that you can trade in and out of sockets for different effects.

Ignore the multiplayer stuff till you are level 50! at that point, its worth joining in the "kill the big boss after a nuke" events as they give some good loot.

Lets be honest at launch it was shite, now, yeah, its alrite. Really the main story is probably as long as fallout 4 (if you only did it) but lets be honest, you will just be wondering around forgetting what you were supposed to do!

The only downside, is that fast travel has a cost, and at the beginning that can be annoying. (unless they have removed that as i haven't played in a a few months)

10 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Not exactly, end game mmos tend to be a mixture of end game pvp and end game pve content - so dungeons, raids, that kind of organised group content. 

To be fair this is probably the only MMO I've got to the end of, ever!

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

The endgame is about continuing to develop your character so you're an unstoppable killing machine in PvP, which of course isn't interesting if you're not into PvP. Or continuing to develop your base, which of course isn't interesting if you're not into base building. I got bored of both fairly quickly. But it isn't quite fair to say that endgame content doesn't exist. 

I think it’s entirely fair. In over a year they have added one new boss to the game. One. And they seemingly gave up supporting that with new rewards almost immediately. PVP is no fun even for PVPers as the weapon balance is so bad. Plus it’s not like you get any of that person’s stuff when you kill them. There’s no stakes. The only people who seem to enjoy it are those who get a cheap thrill out of one-shotting folk in a workshop. 

As for base building, yeah that could’ve been a viable end-game, but right now it’s only so for dedicated people willing to learn some esoteric tricks to get around the punitive build system. Because once you reach a certain level of base building, you will need those tricks. I enjoy base building, and I would’ve invested more time, probably a lot more, if it didn’t always feel like handling an unexploded bomb. One glitch can write off hours of work, unless you specifically know to avoid them. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Exactly. This is the content the game so desperately needs. They made some half hearted stabs at it but none really worked. The Burrows was a limited, short and easy dungeon, and vault raids quickly went the way of the dodo due to crippling technical issues and bad balancing. Nobody has any reason to do A Colossal Problem anymore because it’s an ammo sink and they never updated the rewards. 

Expeditions are what people are hanging their hopes on now, but with Bethesda’s habit of never hitting a deadline with FO76 content we only have a vague idea of when they’ll arrive. 

13 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Hey, top tip: when Duchess at the Wayward asks you to give her friend a nudge to wake them up, she does NOT mean pistol whip them…

Sounds like you’re making all the right moves. Also be sure to lock your water purifiers, your front door, and put punji boards all around your crops. Become the irascible old man of the wasteland. 

20 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Sounds like you’re making all the right moves. Also be sure to lock your water purifiers, your front door, and put punji boards all around your crops. Become the irascible old man of the wasteland. 

I went to my friends base and it was full of traps and stuff and they told me that that used to be a thing but now you can’t even attack people’s bases so it’s all pointless. 

24 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I went to my friends base and it was full of traps and stuff and they told me that that used to be a thing but now you can’t even attack people’s bases so it’s all pointless. 

Trap bases are still a thing. But they’re fairly easy to recognise. People use their vendor machine as bait, usually at the top of a suspiciously tall structure or the end of a very narrow corridor, then remove the floor when you’re halfway there to plummet you into a nest of concealed punji traps.

But yeah, traps are largely pointless. Turrets actually seem to draw more trouble to your base rather than deterring it. Plus they’re content to just sit there while an enemy plinks away at them with a weapon outside of their sensor range. 

• 1 month later...

Well this is bleak

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-zenimax-fallout-76-crunch-development-1849033233

Basically Bethesda is just as badly run as you might imagine. FO76 was basically all crunch all the time, and to add insult to inury the bugs they found weren't getting fixed. And yes, most of the problems really were down to using a single player engine for a multiplayer game.

Interesting bit in that the employees were hoping things would get better when MS bought them but MS are 'hands off' with their game dev acquisitions- which we would normally think of as a good thing, interesting to see another perspective.

Feels cathartic to see my guess that NPCs were always intended to be in the game to be born out over Bethesda’s bollocks ‘we listened to the fans and added them in’ narrative. 

I think MS would definitely improve their reputation by forgoing their ‘hands off’ approach when one of their acquisitions has real and obvious problems. Just giving Bethesda more money won’t resolve their issues, as they’re baked into the company. Howard has said before that they’re reluctant to hire more devs, which they desperately need to do, because all their current ones know how to work with the esoteric Creation Engine. 

• 4 weeks later...

I assumed after all this time and the endless patches this must be quite good now.

After 2 minutes I think I can fairly say it has the worst screen-tearing I’ve seen for years. Playing on Series X.

4 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I assumed after all this time and the endless patches this must be quite good now.

After 2 minutes I think I can fairly say it has the worst screen-tearing I’ve seen for years. Playing on Series X.

After putting a couple of hundred hours in, I'd say It's really good (on PC). But it's best if you enjoy base building and role playing. The questing is good but over pretty quickly and the end game /PvP is average imo.